PDA

View Full Version : What are you giving up for Lent

pete501
03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Ash Wednesday has past. What are you giving up or doing for lent?

Char-Gar
03-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Not a thing! These Lenten traditions are a product of the church. If that is important to you, then give up anything that has significance to you. I live daily with the sadness of Good Friday and the joy of Easter in my life. I do not require traditions to force me to remember these things.

Faith is lived moment by moment, breath by breath and not by marks on a calendar.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-02-2017, 12:34 PM
while I don't give anything up for Lent, I do partake in the fish frys

I thank God For Fish frys.
or maybe I need to thank the Church?

Scorpion8
03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
I gave up Lent for Lent.

therealhitman
03-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Better response if posted in the Chapel I expect.

Personally I am giving up Avocados.

johnson1942
03-02-2017, 01:20 PM
nothing, has nothing to do with being a christian, made up by men.

Idz
03-02-2017, 01:24 PM
I guess I'll give up on the democrats!

Der Gebirgsjager
03-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Better response if posted in the Chapel I expect.

Personally I am giving up Avocados.

I'll bet you don't like 'em anyway! I can't imagine life without some guacamole! :smile:

johnson1942
03-02-2017, 05:00 PM
i feel kind of bad for my reply as this was a serious post. however i realize many christians and other wise are fed up with what man has put on us in the name of God and his Son when it isnt even in the bible. i totally understand no one respondings as serious because no one wants to be B.S./ed any more, they want just the real stuff. its not a slap in the face of God and his Son, it is toward what man has done that has no meaning.

Jr.
03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Not giving anything up, but adding some prayer, and trying to give more time to the creator.

Houndog
03-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Not a thing! These Lenten traditions are a product of the church. If that is important to you, then give up anything that has significance to you. I live daily with the sadness of Good Friday and the joy of Easter in my life. I do not require traditions to force me to remember these things.

Faith is lived moment by moment, breath by breath and not by marks on a calendar.

WELL SAID and 100% true!

xdmalder
03-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Like so many other "holy days" the church celebrates this is another one that is pagan.
http://www.hope-of-israel.org/weeping.html

Just so everyone knows where I am coming from I do believe in Yeshua (Jesus) and the Scripture. The only holy days I observe are the 7 that are commanded in Scripture.

runfiverun
03-02-2017, 07:32 PM
not being catholic I really don't know what lent is I guess cause I never seen it written down anywhere.
I never did put mardi-gras together with a religious holiday either. [I learned something there]

Fishman
03-02-2017, 09:03 PM
The purpose for giving up something is to show you have mastery over yourself. When you can do that you can focus on the important things, such as the important people in your life.

Boaz
03-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Folks might have a little respect for someone's belief . I'm a fundamentalist and respect their ability to choice . Grew up with Catholics ...got NO problems with them . You could at least show some respect in the way they worship GOD . Might as well come down on me for my 'literal' understanding of the bible . I'll stand with em push come to shove .

Boaz
03-02-2017, 09:48 PM
I started to put up the same exact thread but thought it might be taken wrong siece I am an Independent Baptist . I understand lent but not part of my church . Ash Wednesday is done you folks get after it .

bubba.50
03-02-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm'a give up lint for lent.

Boaz
03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm'a give up lint for lent.

You insult for no purpose . Explain your intent .

imashooter2
03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Self control.

imashooter2
03-02-2017, 11:00 PM

You find insult for no reason.

starmac
03-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Ok R5R, what kind of religious holiday is Marti Gras??

Boaz
03-02-2017, 11:18 PM
You find insult for no reason.

Please explain ?

runfiverun
03-02-2017, 11:32 PM
Boaz:
your taking things the wrong way....lighten up a bit.

well my take on it is you gotta have sumthin to talk about in confession.
you get 2 weeks to get it all in, then you go home and discuss it with your father?/priest/rabbi [whichever] for the rest of the year.
at least that's what I kind of get out of watching it on the TV.

bubba.50
03-02-2017, 11:58 PM

everything from "The Good Book" to silly rituals such as "Lent" are claimed to be "The Word of God" or "from God" or "God's Word" or some such but, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS WRITTEN BY A MAN & SPONSORED BY THE CHURCH TO PULL MORE MONEY INTO THEIR COFFERS.

Boaz
03-03-2017, 12:02 AM
Honestly . ..That response is so stupid it deserves no reply . Go figure and get back .

therealhitman
03-03-2017, 01:05 AM
I'll bet you don't like 'em anyway!

Now that is just not true!

I am allergic. :drinks:

Teddy (punchie)
03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
I guess I'll give up on the democrats!

That works for me. Not that I joke about religion but I've had it with them a sad bunch they were.

Teddy (punchie)
03-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Yes I understand your point. Not good to point out in this way, they way we were stating it is offensive, an not in a loving and caring way as a Christian should be. I don't understand all about Lent nor the religion but I try not to harden there harts by making them mad, angry, too hot to handle.

Sorry Pete if us, and me upset you in any way.

Teddy

Folks might have a little respect for someone's belief . I'm a fundamentalist and respect their ability to choice . Grew up with Catholics ...got NO problems with them . You could at least show some respect in the way they worship GOD . Might as well come down on me for my 'literal' understanding of the bible . I'll stand with em push come to shove .

starmac
03-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Now that is just not true!

I am allergic. :drinks:

Pretty sure my taste buds are allergic to them. lol

opos
03-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I gave up sex for Lent and my Wife asked "who did you lend it to and when do you get it back"?

cpileri
03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
(trying to) give up cursing while driving
Going to add 10 minutes of just talking w family every day.

The purpose for giving up something is to show you have mastery over yourself. When you can do that you can focus on the important things, such as the important people in your life.

And yes, self-denial has everything to do with being Christian.

bubba.50
03-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Honestly . ..That response is so stupid it deserves no reply . Go figure and get back .

"if you don't have a rebuttal go straight to snark & ridicule." that's on the "Top Ten List" in the liberal's handbook isn't it?

bedbugbilly
03-03-2017, 11:16 AM
First, I respect others and their beliefs and the religions they practice . . .

Char Gar - when I was reading this thread, I was trying to find the right words to make a response. I kept going back to what you had posted and I don't think I could say it any better than you did as it corresponds with my beliefs . . . so I'll just say "ditto" to what you said and leave it at that.

imashooter2
03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Please explain ?

There was no insult. You are offended for no reason.

Char-Gar
03-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Pete asked a very benign question about Lenten practices. It is a good question for those with a tradition of denial. For the life of me, I can't understand why some of you, can turn such a mild question into a hissing and spitting match.

How Christians observe the various seasons of the liturgical year is very diverse and very personal. It certainly is not a valid reason for theological warfare.

DCP
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Pete asked a very benign question about Lenten practices. It is a good question for those with a tradition of denial. For the life of me, I can't understand why some of you, can turn such a mild question into a hissing and spitting match.

How Christians observe the various seasons of the liturgical year is very diverse and very personal. It certainly is not a valid reason for theological warfare.

Yes he did!

You see some of these folks are obsessed, try reading some of the things the Chapel sometime.
It good thing to have Christ in ones life.
Some may just be, lets say Holly Rollers.
They run folks out of the Chapel

johnson1942
03-03-2017, 05:51 PM
i have to laugh in sadness about the Holy Roller thing. havent heard that one in a long long time. im full gosple and i had a Aunt through marriage who made fun of the Holey Rollers all the time. gues what happened to her. had a dizzly spell and fell onto the cook stove when a couple of burners were on and cooked her self to death. it was a horrible death but cant help but think deep down inside that you never know. her mockery came back to her in a bad way. boy is this comment going to turn on some guys now, let er rip. argue with God not me. as to being a Holy Roller, ive seen so many real and undisputible good things happen through prayer it would fill a book. when you get in a bind some day, find a Holy Roller to pray for you, you would be doing a smart thing. they dont fool around and just throw words in the air, they get to the meat of it. by the way, grow up, your just throwing words around about something you know absolutely nothing about. a to the marrow of my bones Holy Roller.

DCP
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM
i have to laugh in sadness about the Holy Roller thing. havent heard that one in a long long time. im full gosple and i had a Aunt through marriage who made fun of the Holey Rollers all the time. gues what happened to her. had a dizzly spell and fell onto the cook stove when a couple of burners were on and cooked her self to death. it was a horrible death but cant help but think deep down inside that you never know. her mockery came back to her in a bad way. boy is this comment going to turn on some guys now, let er rip. argue with God not me. as to being a Holy Roller, ive seen so many real and undisputible good things happen through prayer it would fill a book. when you get in a bind some day, find a Holy Roller to pray for you, you would be doing a smart thing. they dont fool around and just throw words in the air, they get to the meat of it. by the way, grow up, your just throwing words around about something you know absolutely nothing about. a to the marrow of my bones Holy Roller.

This just proved my point. It is what it is.
There is none so blind that will not see!

DougGuy
03-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Nothing!! LOL... I quit smoking I quit drinking best not come after my COFFEE!!

johnson1942
03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
the last word doesnt mean your right, your just a last word person thats all. research, and this is good scientific research has shown this. the dumbest among us with the least amount of knowledge about anything really really believe they know every thing about every thing, you just proved this to be true. next you will say im not acting like a christain. not so, i just dont have to put up with that Holy roller **** you handed out. your mouth just runs and nothing comes out of it, just though i would point that out to you as if you have never heard that before. i dont knock catholics even though they murdered my entire family of ancestors in france and only left two little boys alive that were hid out to start our family over again. i have met good and bad catholics and so it is with all of everything. your holy roller crack told me just who you are, you know nothing about anything. go ahead and get another last word in, it wont be spectacular, just run your mouth and show how little you know about anything. ill leave you to your own what ever. reminds me a a big fat wet toad in the rain who puffs up and croaks. croak on.

DCP
03-03-2017, 06:21 PM
the last word doesnt mean your right, your just a last word person thats all. research, and this is good scientific research has shown this. the dumbest among us with the least amount of knowledge about anything really really believe they know every thing about every thing, you just proved this to be true. next you will say im not acting like a christain. not so, i just dont have to put up with that Holy roller **** you handed out. your mouth just runs and nothing comes out of it, just though i would point that out to you as if you have never heard that before. i dont knock catholics even though they murdered my entire family of ancestors in france and only left two little boys alive that were hid out to start our family over again. i have met good and bad catholics and so it is with all of everything. your holy roller crack told me just who you are, you know nothing about anything. go ahead and get another last word in, it wont be spectacular, just run your mouth and show how little you know about anything. ill leave you to your own what ever. reminds me a a big fat wet toad in the rain who puffs up and croaks. croak on.

I will pray for you

Vaya con Dios

buckwheatpaul
03-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Sniveling whining and obstructive DEMOCRATS

All kidding aside...Im just trying to follow my heart and do what God wants me to do through Bible study to better understand His plan for me.....

johnson1942
03-03-2017, 06:46 PM
that is a desperate classic last word. shows you are a hollowed headed nothing, i learned a long time ago nobody hollow headed nothings try to throw it back on you when they have nothing solid to say. think of something original, that statement tells me pages and pages of who and what you are. things just roll out of your mouth that you have heard or learned from fellow nuts like you. you need reality, it could help you but it wont. your right about everything in this world. even the Holy rollers when you dont even know one thing about them. go ahead and be at war with God. you made my day. thanks

DCP
03-03-2017, 08:01 PM
that is a desperate classic last word. shows you are a hollowed headed nothing, i learned a long time ago nobody hollow headed nothings try to throw it back on you when they have nothing solid to say. think of something original, that statement tells me pages and pages of who and what you are. things just roll out of your mouth that you have heard or learned from fellow nuts like you. you need reality, it could help you but it wont. your right about everything in this world. even the Holy rollers when you dont even know one thing about them. go ahead and be at war with God. you made my day. thanks

Brother

Love the Sinner hate the sin.
Forgive 70x7

We all are Sinners

Love God with all your heart

AK Caster
03-03-2017, 08:20 PM
I promised not to pick out the toe jam out of my big toes for 3 days.

Boaz
03-03-2017, 08:35 PM
everything from "The Good Book" to silly rituals such as "Lent" are claimed to be "The Word of God" or "from God" or "God's Word" or some such but, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS WRITTEN BY A MAN & SPONSORED BY THE CHURCH TO PULL MORE MONEY INTO THEIR COFFERS.

Sorry it took me till now to get back to this thread . I apologize for my short response . Made in haste it was wrong .
I don't knock or tear down a persons belief or practice of worship . I don't say GOD demands you go to church . GOD and you will decide . But I will not make fun of or try to hurt someone's felling's to prove my superiority in knowing . We are all headed in the same direction but on different paths .

railroadman
03-03-2017, 08:45 PM
I gave toast with apple butter.Good no toast 40 days and no meat on Friday.My Mom did it for 59 years. I miss her.

jonp
03-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Nancy Pelosi and Debbie Does Miami Schultz. I'm big like that.

Boaz
03-03-2017, 10:51 PM
This thread should have been posted in the Chapel .

bedbugbilly
03-03-2017, 11:41 PM
Boaz . . . I don't know if I agree with your or not in regards whether it should have been posted in the Chapel . . . and that's no disrespect to you Brother . .. .

On a thread such as this . . . . and I believe the OP had the best of intentions with their posting . . . some will takeout lightly, some more seriously . . . and that's fine I think.

At least it gets Christianity out there and a discussion started. We all come from a wide variety of religious training backgrounds . . . some Baptists, some Presbyterian, some Methodist, some Baptist, some Catholic and so on. But we all believe in the same God and Creator and Jesus Christ . . .

When I think back to when I was a kid . . . and I'm talking close to 60 years now . . . just bout everyone went to Church on Sunday and in school, we started our day with a prayer . . . and I'm talking 'public school'. Somehow, somewhere . . . . things started going wrong IMHO. For a country founded on a religious beginning, it seems like it is no longer accepted. All one has to do is look at the last election and behaviors, etc. It has gotten to the point where it is "politically incorrect" to profess that you are a Christian and that many are afraid to speak of their faith. s

Personally, I think it is about time that Christians start speaking up and all of this "political incorrectness towards Christianity" be stopped. Just last week, in my hometown paper in Michigan, there was an article about a court upholding that public meetings could not be started with a prayer. Fortunately,I understand that the decision was overturned by a higher court.

At any rate, I'm thinking that conversations such as this thread has created are good and it shows that many of us, even from varied religious backgrounds, all have similar thoughts whine comes to faith regardless of if someone gives up something for Lent or not . . . . and for those that respond in a not so serious tone . . . that's fine as well. I have a feeling that Jesus and his followers probably enjoyed a good chuckle once in a while as well.

In this particular forum . . . at times . . . we share our losses, our achievements and our stories and oftentimes seek answers for questions that others may be able to help with . . . . and at times we are made aware of members who could use some help when life hands them a lemon. So in the long run . . . and I may be wrong . . . but I don't see this thread as a whole lot different than some of those things. At least it gets us all to thinking. :-)

Boaz
03-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Thank you bedbugbilly , there is a lot of truth in your comment . You make several good points .

AK Caster
03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Boaz . . . I don't know if I agree with your or not in regards whether it should have been posted in the Chapel . . . and that's no disrespect to you Brother . .. .

On a thread such as this . . . . and I believe the OP had the best of intentions with their posting . . . some will takeout lightly, some more seriously . . . and that's fine I think.

At least it gets Christianity out there and a discussion started. We all come from a wide variety of religious training backgrounds . . . some Baptists, some Presbyterian, some Methodist, some Baptist, some Catholic and so on. But we all believe in the same God and Creator and Jesus Christ . . .

Not an accurate statement. There are many non believers in God. Its wrong to think everyone in the world follows your own religious beliefs.

ShooterAZ
03-04-2017, 10:55 AM
This thread sure went to you know where. It seems to me like a lot of the snarky attitude is eminating from certain members of "our chapel". Why is that?

Larry Gibson
03-04-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm with buckwheatpaul.......giving up watching Rachael Maddow.......she just can't get over Hillary losing.........not that I expected her to........Perhaps her and Alan Shepard from FNC would make a complimentary newscast pair........oops, strike that "newscast" comment.....they only do opinion and commentary.......Oh well......

Larry Gibson

castalott
03-04-2017, 11:42 AM
It is a matter of perspective... A Holy thing to some and therefore a Proof of Obedience to God... kinda like a promise you made to God sometime in your life and you are still keeping your word. This does matter to some.

Others mock ( maybe not in a hurtful way but want to be fun or funny) these beliefs. I am as guilty of this as anyone and repent of the hurt I have caused. If it doesn't hurt anyone...like a broad joke, I like to laugh as well as any..

This Country having Free Speech and this being a free forum ( yes,yes, both have rules) I believe you can say most anything you want. Whether you should or not is another matter.

xdmalder
03-04-2017, 11:55 AM
What is more important in a Scriptural faith. Pleasing the doctrine or church, or pleasing the heavenly Father. It really doesn't matter what it means to us. It matters what it means to Him. That is why we should search for the ONE truth. So we can please our Father. All "religions" have fallacies. We should all be striving to find truth so we can worship together.

Boaz
03-04-2017, 12:03 PM
What is more important in a Scriptural faith. Pleasing the doctrine or church, or pleasing the heavenly Father. It really doesn't matter what it means to us. It matters what it means to Him. That is why we should search for the ONE truth. So we can please our Father. All "religions" have fallacies. We should all be striving to find truth so we can worship together.

Thank you .

bedbugbilly
03-04-2017, 12:26 PM
AK Caster - I fully realize that there are a lot of "non believers" out there and I also respect a person's right to have their own personal beliefs regardless of what they are. I don't believe I was addressing that however.

The title of this thread was in reference to "Lent" - something which many Christians do take seriously and many do not feel the need to in terms of their relationship with their Christian beliefs. Others have taken the thread light heartedly and that is fine as well IMHO.

If a person is a non-believer or of a different faith . . . . that is their right and I respect it. BUT . . . if a person is a non-believer, I'm a little confused as to why they would even be reading a thread concerning Lent or any other aspect of Christian faith since it does not conform to their beliefs . . . unless it is to show intolerance or to pick a fight in defense of their own beliefs.

When I referred to us all coming from different backgrounds . . . whether it be Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc. . . . I believe I was referring to those of the Christian faith . . . I don't see how it could be misconstrued as to be referring to "non-believers" or how it was showing any disrespect to those who have other beliefs.

Any of my comments are not aimed at you personally or anybody else personally. People today are far to quick to take offense to what others may voice or express . . . especially if it disagrees with their thoughts and beliefs. All you have to do is turn on the TV to see it. If somebody doesn't like what another person says or their beliefs, it's alright to spew out insults and hatred. The majority of folks today seem to have forgotten about human decency and what it is all about . . . or else they were never taught it.

Again - any of my comments were not directed towards you personally or anybody else personally . . . they were a general statement in regards to those that are Christian . . .nothing else. I'm old . . . and I'm "old school". Yes, I was brought up as a Christian and I refuse to make any apologies for that but it is not and indicator that I have intolerance or any other prejudice against those who believe otherwise . . . that is their right as a human being. BUT . . . I was brought up to have respect for others . . . for my country and to try and follow the "Golden Rule" - "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". But, I suppose that some might even find offense in that and put a "religious slant" on it so as to find offense in it . . . so be it.

For a very simple thread . . this has seemed to turn into a little bit of everything but it has also brought out the "snarkiness" and how some can be so easily offended.

Boaz . . perhaps my comments were wrong and this doesn't belong in this forum . . . or anywhere else. My apologies to you sir.

Boaz
03-04-2017, 12:30 PM
AK Caster - I fully realize that there are a lot of "non believers" out there and I also respect a person's right to have their own personal beliefs regardless of what they are. I don't believe I was addressing that however.

The title of this thread was in reference to "Lent" - something which many Christians do take seriously and many do not feel the need to in terms of their relationship with their Christian beliefs. Others have taken the thread light heartedly and that is fine as well IMHO.

If a person is a non-believer or of a different faith . . . . that is their right and I respect it. BUT . . . if a person is a non-believer, I'm a little confused as to why they would even be reading a thread concerning Lent or any other aspect of Christian faith since it does not conform to their beliefs . . . unless it is to show intolerance or to pick a fight in defense of their own beliefs.

When I referred to us all coming from different backgrounds . . . whether it be Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc. . . . I believe I was referring to those of the Christian faith . . . I don't see how it could be misconstrued as to be referring to "non-believers" or how it was showing any disrespect to those who have other beliefs.

Any of my comments are not aimed at you personally or anybody else personally. People today are far to quick to take offense to what others may voice or express . . . especially if it disagrees with their thoughts and beliefs. All you have to do is turn on the TV to see it. If somebody doesn't like what another person says or their beliefs, it's alright to spew out insults and hatred. The majority of folks today seem to have forgotten about human decency and what it is all about . . . or else they were never taught it.

Again - any of my comments were not directed towards you personally or anybody else personally . . . they were a general statement in regards to those that are Christian . . .nothing else. I'm old . . . and I'm "old school". Yes, I was brought up as a Christian and I refuse to make any apologies for that but it is not and indicator that I have intolerance or any other prejudice against those who believe otherwise . . . that is their right as a human being. BUT . . . I was brought up to have respect for others . . . for my country and to try and follow the "Golden Rule" - "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". But, I suppose that some might even find offense in that and put a "religious slant" on it so as to find offense in it . . . so be it.

For a very simple thread . . this has seemed to turn into a little bit of everything but it has also brought out the "snarkiness" and how some can be so easily offended.

Boaz . . perhaps my comments were wrong and this doesn't belong in this forum . . . or anywhere else. My apologies to you sir.

Go back and read my response to your post . I was agreeing with you .

fatnhappy
03-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Brussel sprouts.

..... and when I eat fish fries on fridays it's because I like fish fries.

Echo
03-05-2017, 06:31 PM
My Catholic GF! And probably longer!