PDA

View Full Version : How much ammo is enough?

krag35
11-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I"m one of those people who just can't stand to throw away any usable thing. My folks were brought up during the depression, and are the same way, so I come by it honest.

Any time I'm out, I pick up any and all useable brass I come across even if I don't have a firearm for it, nor intend to get one for it. All once fired Remington brass gets loaded for my "using " guns (30-30, 30-06, 223, 444 haven't EVER found any for that, 44 mag, 38 spcl.,45 acp, 270's get turned into 8mm mauser) I'll load it 4-5 times or untill I have another batch of once fired "new to me" brass then it goes into my "stash" ammo supply along with any other headstamped brass in that caliber.

"Stash ammo" is loaded either to mis spec. or in the case of 30-30, to a midrange book load. Pistol ammo is all loaded with cast bullets. I vacuum pack this ammo, and store it in ammo cans in the shop. I NEVER SHOOT THIS STUFF, I just hang onto it. It is all good ammo, and would fire in any gun of the same caliber. don't plan on fighting no battles at my age, but I really could supply a Company with clipped Garand and 45 ACP.

Any one else have this "squirrel it away" disease?

krag35

KB291
11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I have done basically the same. Have rounds put away in cans, not going to discuss quanity but quite a few cans. Always pick up brass to inspect later. At a range on forest service property west of Colorado Springs, Co it is possible to p/u a 5 gal bucket of assorted brass if there is no snow and the"range idiots aren't there.

felix
11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
If you cannot carry that amount in a hurry, that amount is too much. We are talking extreme conditions here, aren't we? ... felix

HickoryCreek
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
On another board, I saw a guy that said he had over 60,000 rounds :holysheep for various centerfire calibers. The previous high I had seen was 30,000 :holysheep for one caliber! I keep at least 1,000 for each gun. Never really have picked up brass I don't shoot but now that I think about it. . .

wills
11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
How much ammo is enough?
How much is there?

9.3X62AL
11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't have much more than 300 units of each of the calibers I reload for, which are 35 in number. Space starts becoming an issue. I do have a lot of 12 gauge, 223, 9mm, and 40 S&W in case the balloon goes up--or, more likely, a civil disaster like an earthquake prompts the goblins to behave poorly. Mostly, I'm in the process of thinning out the ammo herd a bit, after having done The Krag 35 Method a little too well. :-)

MGySgt
11-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Since I put in my own range I can't keep enough of it loaded to squirel it away - I shoot it as fast as I can cast and load it!

I do have a number of rounds for the 06 and 7mm RM that probably will never get shot, but my son bought me a new trap last year for my birthday and now I have run through all my 20ga and starting on my 12 ga stuff!!! Gotta buy more!

Drew

Frank46
11-09-2005, 04:47 AM
Krag35, yep I can confess to being a range scrounger. But a selective one. 30-30, 308,30-06, 45acp,40S&W, and possibly a few others. At our old range over a period of about three years I amassed over 500lbs of assorted rifle and pistol brass. Filled up one 55 gal drum at the scrap yard and was well on the way to the second. But this is after the goodies had been taken out. But my arthritus won't let me be a active as before. I clean em up and sort them in freezer bags with labels. One guy had bought one of the century arms CETME rifles and needed some brass. No problem, next time out handed him a bag of PMC military 7.62 brass. Frank