PDA

View Full Version : Tucker Carlson and Bill Nye discuss climate change

Fordcragar
02-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Tuck and Nye clash on climate change.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/27/tucker-carlson-and-bill-nye-science-guy-clash-climate-change

jonp
03-01-2017, 09:06 PM
yeah, bill nye....I'm as much of a global warming expert as he is. His only redeeming quality is that he is a Vet

Handloader109
03-01-2017, 09:38 PM
And that isn't going very far in this day and time. I'm probably more qualified than he! At least I did study thermodynamics and have an engineering degree. But he's a television personality, he's an xpert!

Yep, global warming! Bull!

mcdaniel.mac
03-01-2017, 09:45 PM
And that isn't going very far in this day and time. I'm probably more qualified than he! At least I did study thermodynamics and have an engineering degree. But he's a television personality, he's an xpert!

Yep, global warming! Bull!
Nye has a masters in engineering and worked for Boeing in Washington for (IIRC) more than a decade. In *addition* to that, he's had a career as a science educator, been on the board of the planetary society, etc.

Carlson is a chump. He thinks if Nye can't tell him exactly what the temperature would be without ACC, all of the underlying science is wrong, which is a bit like saying since dark matter isn't solved yet gravity doesn't exist.

Texas by God
03-01-2017, 10:20 PM
According to Science(and engineers) a bumble bee can't fly. Man made Global warming is a farce. Puny Man can't damage the planet or change the climate any more than I can beat Satan plying the fiddle. This is my opinion. Best, Thomas.

StratsMan
03-01-2017, 10:37 PM
yeah, bill nye....I'm as much of a global warming expert as he is.

True, but he was pretty funny during his stint as a comedian in Seattle on the TV shows "Almost Live!"... He demos "FirePower" in this episode...

https://youtu.be/cK8w_xkMGIg

Multigunner
03-01-2017, 11:53 PM
The science doesn't have to be all wrong , just not having the numbers necessary for a proper comparison makes it a exercise in futility.
All the CO2 (as a "Greenhouse Gas") as the major factor in the average temperature of a planetary atmosphere is based on a early 20th century theory that led everyone to believe that Venus was a warm but wet and habitable planet much like earth and mostly covered by oceans and swamps. That part of the theory was proven hilariously wrong when the first Venus probes revealed Venus was a hellish barren world.

Deliberately ignoring long term global warming events of the past in order to make every heatwave seem unprecedented has led me to lose faith in what the global warming crowd has to say.
Silly claims like blaming the Nepal earthquakes on loss of glacial ice in the Himalayas also undercut their credibility.
The major cause of glacial melting in that region is now known to be due to soot from natural organic fuels used throughout Asia settling on the surface ice. Biofuels are far worse polluters than fossil fuels.

MT Gianni
03-02-2017, 12:18 AM
I believe concrete and asphalt is holding in too much heat. We need to tear down buildings and rip up roads plant grasses and rid ourselves of heat sinks. To me it makes as much sense as blaming coal. Maybe we will finally warm to the levels of the 1400's and once again be able to have self sustaining farms in Greenland.

jcren
03-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Scientist estimate that atmospheric CO2 was 5 times higher during the time of the dinosaurs than it is today, and that is why the plants were so huge and prolific. But now climatologist say that our elevated CO2 is unprecedented and cataclysmic. Huh?

waksupi
03-02-2017, 01:37 AM
Nye has a masters in engineering and worked for Boeing in Washington for (IIRC) more than a decade. In *addition* to that, he's had a career as a science educator, been on the board of the planetary society, etc.

Carlson is a chump. He thinks if Nye can't tell him exactly what the temperature would be without ACC, all of the underlying science is wrong, which is a bit like saying since dark matter isn't solved yet gravity doesn't exist.

In other words, Bill makes a great vinegar and baking soda volcano.

Fordcragar
03-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Nye doesn't have a Masters Degree, he has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell. He also has numerous honorary Doctorate degrees from several places.

And he is an actor, here is one of his Speedwalker YouTube videos.

http://youtu.be/4e6h4zLC5U8

jonp
03-02-2017, 03:18 PM

how nice. I have 2yrs of meterology and environmental science before switching to Wildlife Biology so i guess i do have more experience than he does. I just never pimped myself into a tv gig

mcdaniel.mac
03-02-2017, 04:11 PM
how nice. I have 2yrs of meterology and environmental science before switching to Wildlife Biology so i guess i do have more experience than he does. I just never pimped myself into a tv gig
Cool. So what are your thoughts on the curve of anthropogenic CO2 isotopes and the supercultivation of cattle as a major factor in increased methane production?

jonp
03-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Cattle: non issue except to fanatics
CO2 Isotopes: which one?

Use of big, impressive words: A+
Use of "isotope" in order to impress everyone with your big brain: F-

mcdaniel.mac
03-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Cattle: non issue except to fanatics
CO2 Isotopes: which one?

Use of big, impressive words: A+
Use of "isotope" in order to impress everyone with your big brain: F-

Well you didn't address the curve (which, if you were better educated on climate science than Nye, you would know which isotopes and which curve, wouldn't you?) and as I'm sure they covered in college merely stating a thing to be factual does not make it so.

308Jeff
03-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Cool. So what are your thoughts on the curve of anthropogenic CO2 isotopes and the supercultivation of cattle as a major factor in increased methane production?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1DnltskkWk

Texas by God
03-02-2017, 07:03 PM
As a manly fan of Dancing with the Stars- The Science Guy can't Dance! But his tv show was informative for my children before he signed on to the Al Gore GWBS.

jonp
03-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Well you didn't address the curve (which, if you were better educated on climate science than Nye, you would know which isotopes and which curve, wouldn't you?) and as I'm sure they covered in college merely stating a thing to be factual does not make it so.

Translation: I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm going to parrot everything I read.

You do get an A for condescension. Yes, I do know what curve and what isotopes but you obviously did not or you would know not all are relevant and besides, you asked me a specific question. Why don't you enlighten us with your superior knowledge on the subject. I'll argue with you not Bill Nye The Science Guy.

mcdaniel.mac
03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Translation: I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm going to parrot everything I read.

You do get an A for condescension. Yes, I do know what curve and what isotopes but you obviously did not or you would know not all are relevant and besides, you asked me a specific question. Why don't you enlighten us with your superior knowledge on the subject. I'll argue with you not Bill Nye The Science Guy.
No, I'm fairly well read on the subject, I'm asking you to demonstrate that you are. If you've got some independent research, please tell me where I can read it.

Someone who opined that they were as much an authority as Nye because of some undergrad study doesn't have room to accuse anyone of condescension.

Plate plinker
03-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Now where is my troll be gone? Top shelf?

Texas by God
03-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Now where is my troll be gone? Top shelf?
Good one. I like it.

Triggernosis
03-02-2017, 11:03 PM
I have both a B.S. and a Master's degree in meteorology and have worked in the field of atmospheric science for my entire career, almost 30 years. What do I believe regarding climate change? I don't know. I simply do not know.

runfiverun
03-02-2017, 11:45 PM
I just open the door and go jezuz it's damn cold out there.
I can't wait for it to get above 33-34 i'd settle for it to just stop snowing 4 day's a week.

P Flados
03-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Sometimes people want to try to use facts and mix in some emotional hype to to create something "terrible" that just does not really pan out if you just stop and look at the big picture.

Can climate change happen? Thats pretty easy for most anyone to answer. Just look at the evidence of the past, and it is pretty obvious that it has happened.

Will climate change happen again? If it happened before, there is a really good chance it will happen again.

Does any of the above really matter? Highly unlikely. Think about the causes of significant climate changes in the past. Probably a number of different causes. There are probably more than a few "just as likely causes" that have not happened yet. My bet is that few if any of the causes are even close to being understood. My bet is also that the most probably cause of the next significant climate change will just "happen" with no help from mankind (if mankind is still around) and there will be very little that mankind will be able to do about it.

Do we need to try to avoid "spoiling the planet"? Yes. However, I seriously doubt that we truly understand whether mankind's CO2 contribution is bad (significantly adding to an upward trend), negligible (small potatoes compared to past natural green house gas releases that did not cause problems), or possibly even good (helping to slow or put off the next ice age).

Some stuff that we lump in under the big term of "pollution" really is bad and needs to be cut back and/or eliminated. Other things are probably more hype than real.

308Jeff
03-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Sometimes people want to try to use facts and mix in some emotional hype to to create something "terrible" that just does not really pan out if you just stop and look at the big picture.

Can climate change happen? Thats pretty easy for most anyone to answer. Just look at the evidence of the past, and it is pretty obvious that it has happened.

Will climate change happen again? If it happened before, there is a really good chance it will happen again.

Does any of the above really matter? Highly unlikely. Think about the causes of significant climate changes in the past. Probably a number of different causes. There are probably more than a few "just as likely causes" that have not happened yet. My bet is that few if any of the causes are even close to being understood. My bet is also that the most probably cause of the next significant climate change will just "happen" with no help from mankind (if mankind is still around) and there will be very little that mankind will be able to do about it.

Do we need to try to avoid "spoiling the planet"? Yes. However, I seriously doubt that we truly understand whether mankind's CO2 contribution is bad (significantly adding to an upward trend), negligible (small potatoes compared to past natural green house gas releases that did not cause problems), or possibly even good (helping to slow or put off the next ice age).

Some stuff that we lump in under the big term of "pollution" really is bad and needs to be cut back and/or eliminated. Other things are probably more hype than real.

Pretty well sums up my opinion as well.

mcdaniel.mac
03-03-2017, 03:29 PM
I just open the door and go jezuz it's damn cold out there.
I can't wait for it to get above 33-34 i'd settle for it to just stop snowing 4 day's a week.
There's not a deer outside my door, therefore deer don't exist!

gwpercle
03-03-2017, 03:57 PM
I watched a show the other day where they gave evidence of past global cooling and warming cycles of the Earth. The cooling cycles involed ice ages .Some occured before man.
The fellow said that right now we should be heading into another ice age...but we're not !
I fail to see where avoiding an ice age is a bad thing. I don't like ice ages, frozen ground , ice , sleet and snow....no thank you I'll take warm weather any day.

After going through hurricanes , tornadoes and floods, I believe man has over rated his ability to control the weather...heck man can't even make it rain or stop raining....you realy think we can change the Earth's temperature ? I don't think so !

dragon813gt
03-03-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm all for global warming if it gives me warmer winters. I hate shoveling snow. I can deal w/ the heat in the summer. It just means less working for long periods in the sun.

The truth is that the earth has been going through natural heating and cooling cycles for billions of years. The impact that we've had in it can't be measured at this time. We're talking cycles that take thousands of years. Models based on past ice core readings have some validity. But all it takes is a volcano eruption or two to really dump a lot of bad things into the atmosphere.

We should wean ourselves off fossil fuels for many reasons. But forcing it on is does nothing but create a divide in people. Unfortunately climate change has been politicized like many other things.

runfiverun
03-03-2017, 05:09 PM
there IS quite often a Deer outside my house.
it is usually checking out the garbage can for a spare sweater or sweatshirt.

city's and pavement probably contribute to global heating more than anything else we do.
if the SJW's really cared about the planet they should maybe stop begging for gas money on their way to protest the oil company's.
we have been recycling carbon for thousands of years, the colder it is the more we release.

Texas by God
03-03-2017, 05:23 PM
North Texas perspective. First week of Feb woke up to 8degrees one morning. Next morning 35degrees. Third week of Feb mid week low 38/ high 94! Today it started out 28- now it's 70.
No wonder I'm sick. Oh well summer will be here come May or so and leave about October or so. Damn it. I hate Summer. The weather person is correct everyday in summer.
If we can convert an engine to run on Methane, inside the Beltway will be the next Barnett Shale.
Best, Thomas.

dragon813gt
03-03-2017, 05:42 PM
North Texas perspective. First week of Feb woke up to 8degrees one morning. Next morning 35degrees. Third week of Feb mid week low 38/ high 94! Today it started out 28- now it's 70.

I'm in SE PA. There have been many days over 60 this winter. Last week there were a few days over 70 and it dropped back to the 40s over the weekend. This week there were a few days over 75. It dropped back to the thirties today and I'm currently delayed on the tarmac in NY due to a ground stoppage in Philly caused by snow squalls. It's been a roller coaster of a winter. I know of one that's unhappy about having to shovel snow one time this winter. Multiple times a week is the norm.

oldblinddog
03-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I have both a B.S. and a Master's degree in meteorology and have worked in the field of atmospheric science for my entire career, almost 30 years. What do I believe regarding climate change? I don't know. I simply do not know.

I have been flying around in the atmosphere for 40+ years. Climate change is real and has been going on since time began. "Man caused" climate change is a scam designed to control populations and take money. The "books" were cooked in order to find a pre-determined outcome.

That being said, you may find it interesting that I see temperatures of ISA+15 C or greater above FL410 on a regular (95% of the time) basis.

This is at FL450. The "bump" over there is topping 470. ISA+17 that day.

xs11jack
03-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Here is how I see it. We have two sides of the situation, one is saying that legitimate science which includes real satellite information, is that there is now real warming, and the other side is using spurious information that some of them have skewed or just made up so that they don't have to find real job that wouldn't pay as much as the 'jobs' they have now. We will never have a meaningful dialog until we ALL tell the truth about what the REAL scientific research is telling us. Then we can decide what to do or not to do. The problem is that some of the liberal scientists have put out a lot of just plain lies and this damages the chance to talk things over in an intelligent manner.
Disclaimer:I just finished a bacon pizza with two beers, which may or may not have some small effect on the thread as we know it.
Ole Jack

308Jeff
03-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Here is how I see it. We have two sides of the situation, one is saying that legitimate science which includes real satellite information, is that there is now real warming, and the other side is using spurious information that some of them have skewed or just made up so that they don't have to find real job that wouldn't pay as much as the 'jobs' they have now. We will never have a meaningful dialog until we ALL tell the truth about what the REAL scientific research is telling us. Then we can decide what to do or not to do. The problem is that some of the liberal scientists have put out a lot of just plain lies and this damages the chance to talk things over in an intelligent manner.
Disclaimer:I just finished a bacon pizza with two beers, which may or may not have some small effect on the thread as we know it.
Ole Jack

I've only had one beer so far. :drinks:

What you say makes sense, except the "Then we can decide what to do or not to do" part. The worshipers at the Church of the Environment have already decided what to do, through endless legislation and regulation.

leeggen
03-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Al Gore started all this just so he could build a muti thousand dollar home. Guess what it worked. This is a fact not fiction. Just research about his home in Tn.
CD

Elkins45
03-05-2017, 11:20 AM
The climate change discussion has three separate but related parts. People with little info, or with axes to grind (on both sides) often mix them together or ignore selected parts.

1. Is there evidence the climate has changed in post-industrial times?
2. If so, is there evidence that human activity has been a contributing factor?
3. If #2 is so, what can or should be done to slow, correct or reverse it?

Its important to specify which aspect of the discussion you are engaging in.

KCSO
03-06-2017, 10:33 AM
#1 Opinions are like..well you get the picture.

#2 Yes we have climate change, we have ALWAYS had climate change. In 1000 AD Greenland turned cold Whoa Global Cooling due to too many horse powered horses? How many volcanos have caused climate change, the year without summer ? I wonder if the mesasaur's were disappointed when the inland seas dried up, the deer when the Sahara became desert? The climte will change and we will adapt or not as God sees fit. The sea level rises and we will have to move once again, its life.

Elkins45
03-06-2017, 06:35 PM
#1 I didn't say opinion, I said evidence. Everyone may have an opinion, but most don't have any evidence for them.

jmort
03-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Why do the consensus appraticheks have to make up data????
Why lie if you have the "facts" on your side?????

Elkins45
03-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Are you referring to "Climategate?" And are you saying data is fabricated about the existence of climate change, or about the cause?

mcdaniel.mac
03-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Are you referring to "Climategate?" And are you saying data is fabricated about the existence of climate change, or about the cause?
This is Trump's America, when you don't like what you hear just yell keep repeating that it's a cospiracy anyone who disagrees is a shill or a troll. Any science you don't like is fake, even if the data and methodology are easily obtained.

jmort
03-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Transmuting beneficial warming into the “Great Man-made Global Warming Scare”Unfortunately, judging from the length of previous interglacials, the Holocene epoch should be drawing to its close.
By EDMH
Driven by the need to continually support the Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming thesis, it seems that climate scientists are examining the temperature record at altogether too fine a scale, month by month, year by year.
Viewing the Holocene interglacial at a broader scale is much more fruitful, on a century by century and even on a millennial perspective.
https://www.iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Temps-declining-for-10000-yrs.pngOur current, warm, congenial Holocene interglacial has been the enabler of mankind’s civilisation for the last 10,000 years, spanning from mankind’s earliest farming to recent technology.
However Ice Core records, probably the most reliable long term record, show:
• the last millennium 1000AD – 2000AD has been the coldest millennium of the entire Holocene interglacial.
• each of the notable high points in the Holocene temperature record, (Holocene Climate Optimum – Minoan – Roman – Medieval – Modern), have been progressively colder than the previous high point.
• for its first 7000 – 8000 years the early Holocene, including its high point known as the “climate optimum”, have had virtually flat temperatures, an average drop of only ~0.007 °C per millennium.
• but the more recent Holocene, since a “tipping point” at ~1000BC, 3000 years ago, has seen temperature fall at about 20 times that earlier rate at about 0.14 °C per millennium.
• the Holocene interglacial is already 10 – 11,000 years old and judging from the length of previous interglacials, the Holocene epoch should be drawing to its close: in this century, the next century or this millennium.

Our current, warm, congenial Holocene interglacial has been the enabler of mankind’s civilisation for the last 10,000 years, spanning from mankind’s earliest farming to recent technology.
However Ice Core records, probably the most reliable long term record, show:
• the last millennium 1000AD – 2000AD has been the coldest millennium of the entire Holocene interglacial.
• each of the notable high points in the Holocene temperature record, (Holocene Climate Optimum – Minoan – Roman – Medieval – Modern), have been progressively colder than the previous high point.
• for its first 7000 – 8000 years the early Holocene, including its high point known as the “climate optimum”, have had virtually flat temperatures, an average drop of only ~0.007 °C per millennium.
• but the more recent Holocene, since a “tipping point” at ~1000BC, 3000 years ago, has seen temperature fall at about 20 times that earlier rate at about 0.14 °C per millennium.
• the Holocene interglacial is already 10 – 11,000 years old and judging from the length of previous interglacials, the Holocene epoch should be drawing to its close: in this century, the next century or this millennium.
• but the slight beneficial warming at the end of the 20th century to the Modern high point has been transmuted into the “Great Man-made Global Warming Scare”.
• the recent warming since the end of the Little Ice Age, (Black death, French revolution, etc.) has been wholly beneficial
As global temperatures have already been showing stagnation or cooling over the last nineteen years or more and as the sun spot record is diminishing substantially, the world should now fear the real and detrimental effects of cooling, rather than being hysterical about limited, beneficial or now non-existent further warming.
A real tipping point towards cooling and the end of the Holocene interglacial occurred about 3000 years ago.
This point is more fully illustrated here:
https://edmhdotme.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/the-holocene-context-for-anthropogenic-global-warming-2/

Post navigationPREVIOUS POST (https://www.iceagenow.info/ten-times-normal-february-snowfall-abbotsford-bc/)

Elkins45
03-06-2017, 08:31 PM
^^^^ This was something that was discussed in my gelology classes (the fact we seem to be in a warm interglacial period) when I received my degree in the early 80's. I don't see it referenced very much these days.

Texas by God
03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
What keeps water from burning? Isn't it composed of two very flammable elements? Why is Carbon Dioxide classified as a pollutant when it is necessary for life? Why did I fall asleep in Science class? I know the answer to the last question. Best, Thomas.

oldblinddog
03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
What keeps water from burning? Isn't it composed of two very flammable elements? Why is Carbon Dioxide classified as a pollutant when it is necessary for life? Why did I fall asleep in Science class? I know the answer to the last question. Best, Thomas.

No, only one. Contrary to (seemingly) popular belief, oxygen is NOT flammable.

Maybe you shouldn't have slept through Science class.:kidding:

jonp
03-07-2017, 08:31 PM

Nothing if its the Cuyahoga River.

popper
03-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Don 't know much about this stuff but was using Google earth and noticed the almost complete subduction ring at -60 deg. from the equator due to the shifting of the poles ( gyro effect). We're entering another field change, maybe we'll split in half. O2 isn't flamible unless you swap the electrodes.

Clark
03-08-2017, 12:50 AM

I took Atmospheric science 301 in 1974. I wrote so many partial differential equations that it changed the way I write a "d".

But before you think I don't know anything.... There is a man on my street who has retired from Boeing. He was in the group at Boeing where Nye was an engineer there. Not at the same time, but kept contact with friends there. They complained that Nye never did any work at his day job, as he was obsessed with his comedy career.

Recently Boeing gave Nye an award for all the work he did there decades ago.
They also have a black engineer awards ceremony.
I don't know if they combined the two events.

Triggernosis
03-08-2017, 08:02 AM
I took Atmospheric science 301 in 1974. I wrote so many partial differential equations that it changed the way I write a "d".

:-) I can fully appreciate that! I went into Meteorology because "I didn't like all the mathematics that engineering entailed". Boy, was I in for an awakening!

Texas by God
03-08-2017, 08:31 AM
No, only one. Contrary to (seemingly) popular belief, oxygen is NOT flammable.

Maybe you shouldn't have slept through Science class.:kidding:
I needed the rest from Night Life Classes.

mcdaniel.mac
03-16-2017, 03:06 PM
In order:
1. Covalent bonds.
2. One flammable element and oxygen. When unbounded they are a highly flammable mixture.
3. Being necessary for life doesn't make something not a pollutant. Pollution means the introduction of something where it should not be, in layman's terms. Much like the bacteria in your colon are necessary for your digestion, introducing them into other parts of your body is disastrous. With carbon dioxide, too much of it in the atmosphere accelerates warming. It also dissolves more into the oceans, harming coral populations, which harms fish populations.
4. You had a poor teacher?