PDA

View Full Version : All right, 2nd time around

BigBlack
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Today had some time to play. I messed up a bunch but finally got everything figure out. I adjusted the bottom pour to pour slower, adjusted the rest to hold my mold about 1/2” from the “nozzle” and I held it canted just a bit.

Made these:

:drinks:

Now they are resized and ready to final lube and load. I made 206, I was not counting just decided to quit and that was the number. I will load up 50 or so and hopefully, fingers crossed, get to fire them next weekend!!!!!

:castmine:

Load suggestions needed for 380 ACP using either W 231 or HP 38 (my 2 on hand powders). These weight about 106 grains. The mold is the lee .356-102

Oh yea this is reclaimed WW water quinched, no stick ons I am culling them to mix with berm lead to use later with added tin and atominy if needed.

docone31
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Looking good.
Looks like they do not need too much sizing. Good to go.

xr650
07-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm so sorry Black.
This is how it started for me.
Cast some good boolits.
Loaded them and they worked well with lots of personal satisfaction.
I started buying more moulds.
I cast this one and that one. I don't have time to reload or shoot.
Just cast cast cast.
Don't fall into the trap.
Stop now while you still can. :kidding:

They look good.
Happy shooting. :Fire:

RustyFN
07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Lookin good BB, great job.
Rusty

runfiverun
07-05-2008, 01:53 AM
hp-38 and 231 is basically the same powder just in difrent bottles.
you should easily find data for it bout 2.5 - 3 gr's

BigBlack
07-05-2008, 09:02 AM
hp-38 and 231 is basically the same powder just in difrent bottles.
you should easily find data for it bout 2.5 - 3 gr's

Thanks I will keep looking, All I have been able to find are for 100 grain projectiles and very few cast loads mostly jacketed or plated bullets.

My cast weigh out to about 105 grains.

copdills
07-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Looks Great, I hope mine comes out that good , gives me something to shoot for

Good Luck copdills

Boerrancher
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks I will keep looking, All I have been able to find are for 100 grain projectiles and very few cast loads mostly jacketed or plated bullets.

My cast weigh out to about 105 grains.

I can assure you that if you use the starting load for a 100 gr Jacketed bullet, and work up you will not in any way exceed the max pressure for your 105 gr cast boolit. Lead offers less resistance than copper as it is traveling down your bore. 5 grains of weight difference is well with in the margin of safety. Do not ever use powder charges and weights recommended for cast boolits for a jacketed bullet. This can be a disaster waiting to happen.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

TexasJeff
07-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I load up 105 gr boolits for my .380's and use 3.2 gr of AA#2. That powder is real close to W231.

First load I worked up was with 3.4 gr of AA#2, and it was a little hot for my taste. I've backed it off .2 grains and it works good. No cycling problems, no feed problems, and as good as can be expected accuracy for a .380.

Jeff

Dennis Eugene
07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
it's not to late you can still save yourself. Quickly send all your lead and molds, any and all casting equipment to me and I will dispose of it as i see nessacary. Saveing you from a lifetime of scroungeing lead selling the food from your dinner table in order to buy that next mold and general misery of all kinds. Yours in support Dennis

MakeMineA10mm
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Hodgdon (distributors of both W231 & HP38) list the same powder charges for both, with a 100gr FMJ-RN (an extremely close duplicate of your bullet): 2.9grs for start, and 3.1grs for max. You're bullets slightly heavier weight is compensated for by it's lead composition, which creates less resistence in the bore, as noted above.

My goal with 380s is to just get them cycling/functioning well, and then stopping, without seeing how hot of a load I can develop. most of them are not locked-breach guns, and good cycling/functioning for practice is all I need.