PDA

View Full Version : My daughter cried when she got home from class tonight.

frkelly74
02-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Our middle daughter is double enrolled in some college classes to go along with her home school curriculum. She just turned 16 this week. One of her classes is a psycology 101 level class and she is enjoying the class and doing well. She has been kind of sheltered from the things that go on in public school and that was on purpose. She has little patience for foolishness and stupid remarks that come from other kids. Tonight there was a student who is in some branch of the service and was attending class by some arrangement but is apparently being deployed and was asking how to complete his assignments in the time he has left. The three students behind my daughter began to make fun of the man being deployed, they apparently have no respect for someone trying to do good for his country and it upset her to hear the disrespectful remarks. I teared up a little listening to her tell about it.

Jr.
02-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Sounds like you're raising a good one. It is nice to hear there is another generation that will show some respect for our veterans.

trails4u
02-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Good on you, frkelly....you've obviously raised her right. Sounds like she will be a leader in her generation.

My eldest boy just enlisted with the Navy. My 10yo daughter is crushed at the thought of her brother going away, but she is also fiercely patriotic and LOVES what her brother is doing. I fear for the kid that pokes fun at her brother.....she has a mean streak, just like her mother! :)

XDROB
02-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Maybe the professor should make those kids take a civic duty assignment.or bring a couple other students who are in the service and then see what they say.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bzcraig
02-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Thank you for raising a compassionate and patriotic daughter.

johnson1942
02-28-2017, 12:06 AM
if i was the teacher, they would have seen hell coming on a white horse.

smokeywolf
02-28-2017, 12:21 AM
Punishment for such lapses in courtesy and respect is no longer politically correct.

Although your daughter may have to learn to deal with idiots. At the same time, she has been in an environment that has nurtured the above mentioned qualities, sorely absent in many of today's indoctrination centers.

Col4570
02-28-2017, 03:24 AM
A common trait amongst some youngsters is to try to impress their fellows.I suppose it is a part of growing up.If this means taking the mickey out of someone going on active service then so be it, in their childlike minds they think it is trendy.In later years they may reflect on the cruelty of their youth and go on to make good citizens.There are some great Kids out there and it is important to harness their abilities and to try to lead others on a more caring path.

bandsmoyer
02-28-2017, 07:42 AM
Good case for reinstating the draft

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2017, 07:46 AM
It might be on much the same level as they could have done for having hair in pigtails (in a female, even) or having a phone that does nothing but phone. It sounds like it would be covered by freedom of speech, and if it wasn't, others might use the same powers about other things another time.

It was on nothing like the same level as the shameful harassment of soldiers returning from Vietnam, who had been drafted and weren't enjoying a war that wasn't their idea. Most probably they detested the small percentage of abusive psychos who got into the papers. There is a trace of similarity, though. When military action is always clearly linked with defence of the country, and military malefactors are dependably and willingly dropped on from a great height, individuals find greater appreciation.

richhodg66
02-28-2017, 07:47 AM
if i was the teacher, they would have seen hell coming on a white horse.

Yep. Best lesson they could get (and need) is that there are consequences for our actions.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Good case for reinstating the draft

These were words, not actions.

About thirty years ago some British government ministers suggested that a restoration of conscription, and rigorous military training, would sort out many of the problems of troublesome youth. Legend says the service chiefs agreed that it surely would, but would they please create another military force for the purpose, and not do that kind of harm to theirs.

The quality of armed forces isn't measurable so much in how good the best are, but how closely the run-of-the-mill elements compare. There are huge dangers in having a real military and a chaingang military at opposite ends of the messhall, glaring at one another. Besides, you can't build a good modern army without rigorous selection and paying people extremely well. It takes longer than voters can be held for, too. Conscription without war or an extremely clear danger to the nation is more trouble than it is worth.

Half Dog
02-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Chances are that she will replay the scenario in her head and do something different in the next similar situation. I would give it a couple of days then ask her what a bystander should do in that situation. Then you will be able to help by sharing your input.

Teddy (punchie)
02-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear she got upset. But there are allot of people that have never given to anything let alone have severed or stood for anything. In todays schools not too much you can do.

buckwheatpaul
02-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Your daughter is a gem and she just learned that you cant cure stupid and selfishness! I am so proud of our children that are still willing to put their country first.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Perhaps it will put it in perspective when she hears kids sneering at others with last year's trainers, or refusing to smoke or drink, or staying home to do homework.

In the 1970s I heard a group of schoolkids watching an old man I knew walking past in the street, and saying everybody knew kids mature younger nowadays, for that old man would just have been a child at their age. I knew him, and he was commissioned and in command of a depleted company on the first day of the battle of the Somme, and suffered a broken leg from a shell a week later Soon afterwards he regularised his position by reaching legal enlistment age. His injury troubled him very little until about ten years after those remarks, when he suffered blindness and died of blood clots brought on by bony growths at the seat of the fracture.

shdwlkr
02-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Your daughter is right to feel upset at such disrespect for our military personnel. It is also good she did nothing as in today's messed up world who knows what might have happened. You need to explain to her that this is how bad things have gotten here in America.

As to re-instating the draft I wonder just how many would take the Bill Clinton path and how many would grow up and accept that it is now their turn to defend America.

If I were the instructor I might ask if some veterans could come and speak, maybe even a few who have just returned from being deployed, nothing brings a reality check like seeing some of your own age group and what it looks like to defend America.

Love Life
02-28-2017, 12:41 PM
I believe many are confusing the draft with conscription.

To the OP: Your daughter just learned an important life lesson about people.

When you wear your military service on your sleeve, you gotta accept the bad along with all the attaboys and 10% Home Depot discounts, lol.

shdwlkr
02-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Love Life I know what the draft was and I side stepped it and enlisted when we had this little issue called Vietnam going on.

Love Life
02-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Love Life I know what the draft was and I side stepped it and enlisted when we had this little issue called Vietnam going on.

Thank you for your service.

What I was pointing out is that there is a difference between a draft and conscription. People use them interchangeably, but shouldn't.

fatelk
02-28-2017, 01:05 PM
A friend has a daughter attending college, who also came home a little upset recently. One of her professors rants daily about the evils of Trump. She just found out that the project for the next term in that class (art of some kind I think) will be designing and making protest signs and banners, and taking them to a protest.

She was especially unhappy because all the other students seemed excited and looking forward to it.

WILCO
02-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Our middle daughter is......

American history is replete with the ignorance of fools.
Rest assured, they all seek a protector in dark times.
Great job on producing a productive citizen.

Blackwater
02-28-2017, 01:08 PM
These were words, not actions.

Words ARE actions. They're the act of trying to persuade others to the speaker's way of thinking. Making fun of a man abou to deploy overseas to fight so that the battle doesn't come here, any more than it already has, ain't no small thing, and he was going just as much for his detractors as he was for those who support him. Truly, evil prances and parades all about us these days. And it does this because it has so many supporters. But when it comes to fruition, its supporters will find that what they've supported will also turn on THEM as well. It's amazing how willfully stupid we can be, collectively speaking, at times.

fatelk
02-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Perhaps it will put it in perspective when she hears kids sneering at others with last year's trainers, or refusing to smoke or drink, or staying home to do homework.

In the 1970s I heard a group of schoolkids watching an old man I knew walking past in the street, and saying everybody knew kids mature younger nowadays, for that old man would just have been a child at their age. I knew him, and he was commissioned and in command of a depleted company on the first day of the battle of the Somme, and suffered a broken leg from a shell a week later Soon afterwards he regularised his position by reaching legal enlistment age. His injury troubled him very little until about ten years after those remarks, when he suffered blindness and died of blood clots brought on by bony growths at the seat of the fracture.

My grandfather was the same way. When he was in his early 20s he had been working for a decade, married for several years, had a couple kids, and was a WWII veteran.

It seems that a lot of young people in their early 20s nowadays haven't really outgrown their teens. Not all of them by any means; I know a number of hard working, mature young people.

w5pv
02-28-2017, 03:56 PM
I think that somewhere between the ages of 18 and 30 they should be forced to serve 2yrs.If they are not physically able to with stand the training then put them cleaning the latrines for those who can take it.

shdwlkr
02-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Love life
Many people don't know what the price or cost if you will freedom is. I know you do and so do many here, but today we have so many snowflakes that think it is all about them and their wants and think that freedom is just there for the asking.

If they were to open up either the draft or conscription in this country I wonder how would run and hide.

thank you for your service also and may you always feel America has your 6, if not the government the people of this great Nation.

Great to see you are back!!

bayjoe
02-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Let those that make fun go thru what those deployed soldiers and their families go thru. Then they won't be so quick to make fun

JSnover
02-28-2017, 06:11 PM
If the professor had any stones he'd contact the parents and tell them their [AlphaHotel] kids wouldn't be allowed back in class until someone straightened them out.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2017, 06:43 PM
A friend has a daughter attending college, who also came home a little upset recently. One of her professors rants daily about the evils of Trump. She just found out that the project for the next term in that class (art of some kind I think) will be designing and making protest signs and banners, and taking them to a protest.

She was especially unhappy because all the other students seemed excited and looking forward to it.

Of course he has a right to sound off about those things just as much as he wants, in a private capacity, just like he would with exactly the opposite point of view. But putting either on the assessed curriculum, and having people protest when they mightn't have wanted to, with a strong presumption that professing one point of view is better than the other, is dangerous from either direction.

It is a pretty good rule of life that what A does to B, B will do to A some other time. I can't see that forced cleaning of latrines for what they believe in would make a useful impression on you.

jcwit
02-28-2017, 07:48 PM
It is a pretty good rule of life that what A does to B, B will do to A some other time. I can't see that forced cleaning of latrines for what they believe in would make a useful impression on you.

Worked well when I was in!

Love Life
02-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Love life
Many people don't know what the price or cost if you will freedom is. I know you do and so do many here, but today we have so many snowflakes that think it is all about them and their wants and think that freedom is just there for the asking.

If they were to open up either the draft or conscription in this country I wonder how would run and hide.

thank you for your service also and may you always feel America has your 6, if not the government the people of this great Nation.

Great to see you are back!!

I suspect if they brought back the draft, or started conscription, quite a few would run and hide. Even more would develop some kind of medical issue, lol.

Then 40 years from now they'll all say "Well, I was gonna join but this here in-grown hair caused me to be medically disqualified. Darn shame at that!""

The military has been all volunteer since I've played the game so I have no other perspective to offer on whether or not a draftee would put in as much effort as a volunteer. Heck there are volunteer members that hate being in the military, lol.

At the end of the day, the people talking smack are doing what we served to allow them to do. I'd rather give them a double helping of 1/2 price knuckle sandwiches, but that is frowned upon these days.

xs11jack
02-28-2017, 09:13 PM
A small aside here. I get my health care from the VA in St.Louis and when I walk into the hospital I feel good at seeing and talking to such good people. Along the same vein, when I read how well the people here have raised their children it makes me feel happen for them and for me too.
Ole Jack

BrassMagnet
02-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Chances are that she will replay the scenario in her head and do something different in the next similar situation. I would give it a couple of days then ask her what a bystander should do in that situation. Then you will be able to help by sharing your input.

Awesome advice!

Hamish
02-28-2017, 11:38 PM
fr,

My congrats to you and your daughter. Every time I hear about young people like her I have a little more hope we will be able to turn this country around.

BIS, that's exactly why you think what you do and why the rest f us think think the way way we do. I've got to give you credit. If nothing else you are consistent on not having a single clue about patriotic, hard working Americans,,,,,,,,

MaryB
02-28-2017, 11:48 PM
My high school electronics teacher was ex navy. We had some seniors who has already joined the national guard in class when I was also a senior and third year of electronics which means I was teaching also(way that class was setup, 1st electronics anyone can take, second years was only for A students, third year was up to the teacher and only 3 of us were picked. 2nd year taught some and helped with questions, third year we were expected to spend 50% of our time teach and 50% on our senior project). I was helping some of the kids who were entering the guard unit after basic that summer when a few of the first year trouble makers started making fun of them. I told them to pipe down and do their work, they kept it up and my teacher took over. He nailed them for disrespecting military people then for disrespecting a woman. They ended up being kicked out of class and got an F. It went on their permanent records.

I knew these kids parents, no discipline, daddy was rich so we can do what we want types... the parents tried to make a stink over it and got shut down fast after the entire class said they were being the south end of a northbound mule! The kids going into the guards were from poor parents, it was a way for them to earn money for college and that is something I respected. Kids need a wake up slap upside the head sometimes in how they treat others. The F on these kids report cards prevented 2 of them from getting into an elite private college and they were stuck with the rest of us using the state college system. They went on to become some decent people, 1 of them joined the military in college after they went after him for recruitment for a year. Daddy had cut him off and he was stuck paying his own way and that shows what type of parents they had!

ol skool
03-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Her response: That my friends is what a man is.

woodbutcher
03-01-2017, 01:42 AM
:-x I remember when some friends of mine came home from Viet Nam.A bunch of low life scum was giving them a hard time.Name calling and such,and then one of the low lifes threw a hand full of dog **** on one of them.That was it for me.Happened to see a piece of 2x4 about 2 ft long.Stopped that real quick with a couple of broken bones.What happened to me?NOTHING.The cops laughed themselves silly.And so did the rest of the crowd that was present.The biggest part of the crowd was WW2 and Korean war vets.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

frkelly74
03-01-2017, 08:46 AM
Thank you for your responses. I will have middle daughter read through them and see the support from reasonable people who have some experience and perhaps wisdom to share.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-01-2017, 12:16 PM
If nothing else you are consistent on not having a single clue about patriotic, hard working Americans,,,,,,,,

Oh, them? I believe I picked up quite well on what the ones I knew thought about forced servitude or violence to cure an expression of views. I expect you think there are other views on which people should just develop a thicker skin.

flint45
03-01-2017, 12:40 PM
A big part of the problem at schools,high school and collage are the teachers and professors they don't teach or kids to respect anything like service or patriotism. look at the teacher in Texas that was showing the kids a video or picture of President Trump and shooting at him with a toy gun and my son who is a Marine had some professors that were just extreme left wing nuts teaching lies all the time.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
A big part of the problem at schools,high school and collage are the teachers and professors they don't teach or kids to respect anything like service or patriotism. look at the teacher in Texas that was showing the kids a video or picture of President Trump and shooting at him with a toy gun and my son who is a Marine had some professors that were just extreme left wing nuts teaching lies all the time.

Absolutely right, but no righter than it would be if someone did the same with a politician you didn't like.

MaryB
03-02-2017, 02:00 AM
Keep the politics out of this! We have a forum for that and it is NOT this one!