PDA

View Full Version : Lino for Handguns?

harley45
11-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I just read an arcticle in the latest handloader by Venterino(sp) wherein he states that he uses straight lino for handgun bullets I believe .
40 S&W. What do you guys think would it be worth trying? He states they work better in autoloaders with less deformation going up the feed ramp.

mike in co
11-06-2005, 02:37 PM
yes you can ..but why ??
most auto loaders will shoot ww loads.
i have shot h2o ww cg at 1340 accurately(44 win mag).
9x21 commercial 135 at 1300 fps with some minor leading, but good enough to shoot an entire ipsc match.
why not save lino for applications where it has a benefits.
was he trying to shoot 10mm loads in a 40 ?? hot and heavy ??
why....

harley45
11-06-2005, 02:49 PM
He claims the Lino has better accuracy and holds up better during the trip from magazine to chamber. I've always felt plain WW works o.k. in my .45 but wondered what some of you thought.

Lloyd Smale
11-06-2005, 04:33 PM
ive had great luck with lino bullet in alot of handguns my only problem with it is that its getting pretty hard to find and i hate wasting it.

Char-Gar
11-06-2005, 09:35 PM
I have shot lots and lots of lino bullets in the 45 autopistol with excellent results. However, they won't shoot any better than WW bullets. I don't buy the need for a superhard bullets to survive the feedramp and hold the shallow rifling. I have fired tens of thousands of cast bullet through the 1911 to believe the bunk about the need for super hard bullets.

Lino also works well in full snort magnum (30K psi and above) sixgun loads. However drop down to a lower pressure level and they start to lead like made.

I once cast come 148 full wadcutters out of Lino and loaded them over 2.7 grains of Bullseye and shot them in a good SMith K-38. That load produced the worse leaded barrel I have ever encountered and lino can be the dickens to scrub out.

I have 4 or 5 hundred pounds of lino in the garage and use it to make Lyman No. 2.