PDA

View Full Version : Not hot enuff??

Andrew Quigley
07-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Was doing a little smelting this morning. When I was skimming the crap off the top I noticed flattened bullets that hadn't melted. Throwing some back in the pot with the lead in a pure liquid state they won't melt at all.
Also I had one jacketed bullet in the pot and it didn't melt out either although it was open at the back I'm using a turkey fryer burner and a dutch oven for my pot. Don't have a thermometer so don't know how hot it was but was in a very liquid state. The lead came off a Cowboy range so it should be a batch of hard bullets with a few, mine, pure leads thrown in.
Reckin I wasn't hot enough?

Freightman
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Just got through smelting some range scrap had two bullets that didn't want to melt, after they cooled ckd. them an they appear to be a steel jacket as a magnet would attract them there core wasn,t lead and not zink as they wouldn't melt with a propane torch. Might be some of this "Green" ammo or what ever the eco- Nazis want to call it.

Bent Ramrod
07-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I've had flattened .22 bullets sit on the dross and dirt on top of lower-melting alloy for a long time without melting. Eventually I can stir them in. Larger boolits should sink through the crud to the molten surface and melt, though, if they are lead alloy.

Andrew Quigley
07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
These are nearly paper thin bullets. We shoot steel targets at about 7 to 10 yrds and some mushroon up pretty good and I get others that go totally flat. These last are the floaters. Tried a magnet just for laughs but it wasn't attracted.
Like I said these were just lead bullets except for the one jacketed one.

runfiverun
07-05-2008, 01:58 AM
they could be some of the aluminum coated winchester bullets

Andrew Quigley
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
That's one I never heard of! Aluminum you say. If that don't beat all.