PDA

View Full Version : PPG's new 'Copper and Brass' Powder Coatings . . .

OS OK
02-24-2017, 08:02 PM
I picked a pound of each up earlier this week just wanting some other color besides clear, red or black...the fella said he wasn't impressed with them because they tend to vary in hue across a large surface because of thickness variations...I said what the heck, I'll give them a try.
These are Lee's Tumble Lube 200 grain SWC's sized @ .452" and I run them in the 1911 and the Colt SAA for range ammo...

One thing I really like about these Lee's TL's is that they rain out of a 6 banger mold and drain a 20# pot quick! This is COWW Pb.

MUSTANG
02-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Those look like they were swished/tumble lubed using LEE Liquid Alox.

OS OK
02-25-2017, 10:28 AM
This PC is super fine and really globs onto the casts . . . you have to tap the tweezers to knock off the excess PC or you'll have skirts on the casts.
This is the brass color...

This one is copper...same as the brass, you have to knock the excess off.
These are tumbled in a #5 round food storage container from K-Mart for less than 45 seconds...believe it or not humidity is high today, it rained later in the evening.

When I pour them out in this cookie sheet and then push the sheet back and forth, all the casts roll out of the pile and align themselves for easy pick up with the tweezers.
It makes the tedious task of tweezing them a little faster and more tolerable. The containers are see through so you don't have to keep opening to see if the coating is how you want it.

bedbugbilly
02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
I don't PC but have bought some PD'd boolits to try out in my 9mm and I do like them. I REALLY like the looks of the copper ones you show in your first photo. Not only would they make an awesome looking cartridge but I bet they would go downtime bore of my Uberti Cattleman like a banana peel. I'd love to see a photo of some of those loaded up! Thanks for sharing!

OS OK
02-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Here goes, the LNL stays set up for .45ACP most all the time...all I had to do was to set the seater a little further down...these TL-SWC's are a bit more stubby nosed than my others.
I filled the cases with 4.9g.'s of 700X and five of them averaged 910FPS over the chrony. This is the first batch of SWC's that I've sized @ .452", normally I size PC'd rounds @ .451", especially Lee's RNF's...you can tell the difference on the press handle.

Here's what they look like...sorta like a factory round, like they were plated...the colors are pretty close.
Still not sure about this .452" size...some of the cases looked bulged (I know the size is correct, I size, PC, then size again and check with a micrometer)...they do fit the ammo checker and plunk in the 1911 bbl.

W.R.Buchanan
02-26-2017, 02:34 PM
OS OK: Those look great! I never got that kind of coverage with my shake and bake process so I switched to the gun method which works great except the bases don't get coated.

So that was PPG powder? I like it,,, and having rounds that look like factory would be a good thing.

I size all my .45 ACP boolits to .452 after coating, and .002 over size for a Larger boolit like a .44 or 45 is not too much at all.

Where did you get the powder?

Randy

bedbugbilly
02-26-2017, 04:49 PM
OS OK - thanks for posting the photos - those loaded rounds look terrific!

OS OK
02-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Where did you get the powder?

Randy

I bought it from a painting contractor who does PC exclusively, he's got a shop in Auburn. He uses various brands but the box he gave me with the copper had a PPG label on it.
He said he didn't like it for large areas because it's transparent and shows thickness variations easily (dark and light spots)...say a car hood or something like that.

It covers like the clear gloss I got from him...thin and smooth.

TexasGrunt
02-27-2017, 09:49 AM
I bought it from a painting contractor who does PC exclusively, he's got a shop in Auburn. He uses various brands but the box he gave me with the copper had a PPG label on it.
He said he didn't like it for large areas because it's transparent and shows thickness variations easily (dark and light spots)...say a car hood or something like that.

It covers like the clear gloss I got from him...thin and smooth.

Ahh.... It's a top coat. That makes sense now. Prismatic has both copper and brass top coats but not solid tones. Top coats are VERY tricky to apply and get a good look.

shooterg
02-28-2017, 12:35 AM
Be good for those indoor ranges that insist you shoot factory loads (preferably bought from them) . Load 'em, put in factory box, ought to pass a quick visual inspection.

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Be good for those indoor ranges that insist you shoot factory loads (preferably bought from them) . Load 'em, put in factory box, ought to pass a quick visual inspection.

that's the idea!

Randy

LakeviewBulldog
02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
If those tumble that well consistently I'd be very interested in trying some. Those look great.