PDA

View Full Version : Private gun sale question

Silvercreek Farmer
02-23-2017, 09:30 PM
How do you make sure a firearm is not stolen? And what happens if your gun show find turns out to be stolen 5 years down the road?

BigMagShooter
02-23-2017, 09:39 PM
you should be able to call the local sheriff's office and ask to see if a 'serial number' is reported stolen, they should be able to assist with that.

generally asking for some ID to look at when purchasing from another person is a good idea. Usually to make sure it's a local (state) sale is a fair request. Those peddling "hot" merchandise generally don't want to show any. (not that you have to record it or anything)

if you're worried 5 yrs from now that you'll find out it's stolen, don't buy it, or go through and FFL and pay the fee.

GhostHawk
02-23-2017, 09:53 PM
He gave you good advise IMO.

It is what I would do. Or I would just keep it and keep my head down.

wv109323
02-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Get a copy of his drivers license and a bill of sale. Also get a serial number and ask your sheriff to run the S/N.

Artful
02-23-2017, 09:58 PM
In Arizona the Pawn Shop's are required to run the Serial number's - you could go that route maybe...

fatelk
02-23-2017, 10:19 PM
An acquaintance told me that he once ended up with a stolen gun. He went to sell it at a gun shop and it turned up hot. He had bought it several years earlier from a buddy who was completely trustworthy. Turns out his buddy had bought it from some guy at a garage sale or something. I don't remember how it all worked out, but I think somehow he was the one that was out when they turned it in to the police.

I keep hoping that someday my old S&W 29 that was stolen in '99 will turn up. Not likely at this point. I just hope it's either at the bottom of a lake or in someone's safe, rather than floating around in the underworld, carried by some dirtbag.

country gent
02-23-2017, 10:26 PM
That's the best that happens your out the price of the firearm when its turned in. worst case is receiving stolen property and defending yourself in court. Get a receipt with sellers Name price description and serial number along with a signature. If any question I would have sheriff run the serial number for me before purchase to be safe.

starmac
02-24-2017, 01:11 AM
I bought a browning highpower in Orange Texas, that had been stolen in Oregon. I kept it 9 years without thinking anything about it and traded it to a deputy sheriff in New Mexico, who ran the numbers and found out it was stolen.
Insurance had paid for it 9 years before, and the insurance just gave it to him, so he wasn't out anything.

Teddy (punchie)
02-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Look at dr. lic. of person selling. Have them write a receipt with addy and phone number, and sign it and then I sign it below say I bought it on said date. If its a dealer I know I just take it, most have checked.

If they find out there's a problem they go back to seller.

w5pv
02-24-2017, 11:37 AM
ON the bill of sale get it signed by a Notary

kingstrider
02-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Check the serial number here before you buy:
http://www.hotgunz.com

shoot-n-lead
02-24-2017, 06:47 PM
ON the bill of sale get it signed by a Notary

How many people take a notary public with them to buy a gun?

If the notary is not present for the signature being made...they will not notarize it.

JBinMN
02-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Check the serial number here before you buy:
http://www.hotgunz.com

Thanks! That is a useful link!
:)

jonp
02-25-2017, 07:53 AM
I won't give anybody that is not a FFL a copy of my drivers license. I will give them a copy of my CCW and show them my drivers so they can confirm who I am with a picture. Do not give any random person a copy of your Drivers License.

jmort
02-25-2017, 09:10 AM
I don't give my personal information and I have never asked for any at a gun show or auction/estate sale. I don't intend to make the process any more complicated than buying the gun. If it turns out to be stolen, then I will lose the firearm. I'm not scared or worried.

Teddy (punchie)
02-25-2017, 10:11 AM
I don't give my personal information and I have never asked for any at a gun show or auction/estate sale. I don't intend to make the process any more complicated than buying the gun. If it turns out to be stolen, then I will lose the firearm. I'm not scared or worried.

In PA that stolen gun, if you don't have proof of how you got it, makes it hard for you to defend yourself. If I buying a gun at show and have no idea of who the person is I get information and receipt.

jmort
02-25-2017, 10:30 AM
One of the many reasons to live in what is rightly called Real America. We don't have to run scared. Our freedom is at the maximum level. Thank God

standles
02-25-2017, 11:01 AM
OMG! Ya'll sell the guns you buy :groner:

DCP
02-25-2017, 11:04 AM
One of the many reasons to live in what has rightly called Real America. We don't have to run scared. Thank God

Originally Posted by jmort

So Felons can buy and sell Guns in your state. No tracking on stolen guns. You get a stolen gun from another State. Your toast, this is not freedom is at the maximum level. Its lawlessness

There is no federal waiting period. Federal law allows a dealer to deliver a firearm to a purchaser as soon as a background check is completed, or after three business days even if a background check has not been completed.

jmort
02-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Yes
I don't know
Disagree
You should visit, you might like it.
Now that you have the vapors, in every state felons illeglly buy and sell firearms. If they do it here, and they are caught, then they pay the price.

merlin101
02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I bought a browning highpower in Orange Texas, that had been stolen in Oregon. I kept it 9 years without thinking anything about it and traded it to a deputy sheriff in New Mexico, who ran the numbers and found out it was stolen.
Insurance had paid for it 9 years before, and the insurance just gave it to him, so he wasn't out anything.
:groner: I gotta feeling that besides myself it would only happen to you.
I almost traded a chevy Blazer for an older but almost new Colt AR15, til the NYS trooper found my blazer wasn't really mine! Short version, it had been stolen and VIN tampered with and sold a few times.

bubba.50
02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm a pretty good judge of character & in 50+ years of gun tradin' haven't been burned with a hot gun yet. but if it worries you, most gunshows in this area have a stack of private party transaction forms on the table along with all the notices & dollar off coupons of upcomin' shows & events. pick ya up a few next time ya go to one. then you'll at least have the info of the seller to get YOUR butt out of the fire even if ya might lose the price of a gun.

Blackwater
02-25-2017, 12:03 PM
At one time pawn shops here and gun dealers were supposed to "run the nubers" on any gun they bought, but the problem there is the "lag time" between a gun being reported stolen and its number getting placed on the list. A friend who owned a pawn shop sold I think it was two guns that turned up later as stolen. Here in our town, an officer goes personally to each pawn shop in town, and checks the numbers against a recently reported list they keep constant track of. That has pushed all burglars to sell in other counties now, it seems, but the shops are pretty glad of it, since it protects them from losses. "Cost of doing business" can be steep with some guns now! On private party sales, like Bubba, I just don't do business with folks I don't know, but if I did, I'd certainly give the SO a call and check the numbers. And I always get their tag #, too. That can be very handy if it turned up stolen. Helps identify the thief sometimes.