PDA

View Full Version : MisFire With My S&W 41Magnum Today @ Range

sw282
02-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Shooting my 41 Magnum S&W today l experienced a misfire.. Tried the round 3 times and still

Nothing. When l got home today and disassembled the round trying to find the cause of this

misfire.. Powder and bullet fell from puller...l then decapped the case trying to find an answer..

No charred primer.. Just bright shiny cup and anvil..Taking the primer apart l noticed there was

no primer mixture... The cup was EMPTY. ln 4o years of reloading have never seen this.. Guess l

will give CCI a call tomorrow.. Anyone ever had this happen to them??

thanks

Dusty Bannister
02-23-2017, 01:53 AM
What is the primer lot number, for others that might have bought and stored them away?

Scharfschuetze
02-23-2017, 02:07 AM
I've had it happen with GI once and just recently with a hanload. Given the number of rounds we fire, it's amazing it doesn't happen more often. Most shooters will never experience it, even with economy grade ammo.

shoot-n-lead
02-23-2017, 02:14 AM
I have experienced it several times with various brands of primers, over the years. I only shoot about 4000rds per year...it hasn't happened to me in a couple of years, but it won't surprise me if it happens,again.

sw282
02-23-2017, 04:39 AM
What is the primer lot number, for others that might have bought and stored them away?
Dusty--l bought these CCI LPPs last Sept before the election from Cabelas in Augusta Ga.. Was kinda stocking up still more in anticipation of a Clinton win... Don't remember lot number ...Sorry

Sasquatch-1
02-23-2017, 06:13 AM
I have seen a couple fizzle and burn through the side of the cup (no ignition). We figured it was cleaning media stuck in the flash hole. I have never seen one without primer compound though I have seen this in many Federal and Remington .22's.

TexasGrunt
02-23-2017, 09:38 AM
That's not a misfire. That's a failure to fire.

lightman
02-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Over the years I have had a few faulty primers. One I remember had no anvil, another had no compound. While I was not happy either time, I recognize that is a very very small percentage of failures. CCI is my favorite by the way and none of my failures were with their primers.

3leggedturtle
02-23-2017, 11:35 AM
Had it happen 4 times with a batch of WW primers in 2006

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
I've come across "one" primer with no compound...in the several 10 thousands of primers I've used. I noticed it on the primer tray while getting them flipped over. I believe it was a Winchester.

tomme boy
02-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Had lots of CCI SR for my 223 do this. I bought one brick of a 1000 during the primer scare a couple years ago. I had probably 50 out of the 1000 that would not go off. Plus they were piercing the cup on occasion too. I sent the gun back to the factory as I though it was something wrong with the firing pin. Savage said it had a little erosion from the primers popping but it looked good other than that. They replaced the pin. It still did it on a couple rounds after getting the gun back. But went away completely when I went onto another batch of primers.

MarkP
02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Seen an anvil upside down in a LP.

Also had the radius of the primer cup leak on quite a few WWLR primers; light rifle loads no damage to bolt face.

fredj338
02-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Stuff happens. Wolf small pistol were horrible for qc back in the shortage. I would find 1-2 with no anvil or compound every 100.

AggieEE
02-23-2017, 04:22 PM
I haven't had a primer problem yet, knock wood. Just a matter of time I guess. However, considering how many million primers the companies make each year just hearing about it once or twice a year sounds like pretty good QC.

bedbugbilly
02-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Bound to happen once in a while. Let's face it . . . how many are run in a year? Millions? More/ While a person's luck will usually have it happen when aiming at a record buck or a critter you want to get rid of, one once in a great while wouldn't be enough to make me want to change primer brands. I have always had good luck with CCI but hey, maybe I'll be the next to get one that won't go off? :-) Not all Chevies or Fords come off the line perfect either.