PDA

View Full Version : NRA Liability insurance

Wayne Smith
02-22-2017, 02:06 PM
I am looking into the NRA liability insurance policies. I'm wondering if others have done so and what your experience is? I'm currently waiting on an answer to the question - Where do I find a copy of the Master Policy?

Javater
02-22-2017, 03:48 PM
I have heard CCWSafe is better option

Char-Gar
02-22-2017, 05:47 PM
What liability are you trying to mitigate with insurance. Liability from an accidental shooting, wrongful use of a firearm by another, or intentional shooting?

Wayne Smith
02-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Defense of self or others. It would be primarily at work, there and at Church are the only place I routinely carry. Of course range time should be covered. At work we deal with paranoid psychotics, other psychotics, antisocial personality disorders, and other major psychiatric diagnoses. The work force is currently largely female.

scarry scarney
02-23-2017, 11:54 AM
You might also check United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA), and check out Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. The NRA program is called "Second Call."

I am a recruiter for one of these (but I'm not saying which one, I would prefer for you to check them all on your own, and make your own decision). IMHO, all three are good. The only thing I know about CCWSafe is what is on their webpage.

CCWSafe, USCCA, and Second Call, all base your level of protection based upon the amount of money you spend on their "Protection." All of "policies" are somewhat similar. All provide some level of protection and immediate access to legal defense (lawyer).

But on CCWSafe's website it says....
I volunteer as part of a security force or team for my church. Will I be covered by CCW Safe if I had to defend someone while I’m acting as security for them? No. If you are acting as security for the church, paid or volunteer, then the church would be responsible for covering an incident on their property. Even if you are part of a volunteer security force or team, you would be acting as their agent.

So, I don't know if I really understand your comment of where you carry. If you carry for the church, then CCWSafe, might not provide the coverage that you need.

Char-Gar
02-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Defense of self or others. It would be primarily at work, there and at Church are the only place I routinely carry. Of course range time should be covered. At work we deal with paranoid psychotics, other psychotics, antisocial personality disorders, and other major psychiatric diagnoses. The work force is currently largely female.

If you shoot somebody at work, the primary target of litigation will be your employer by virtue of the legal doctrine of "respondeat superior", which simple means the employer is liable for the torts of their employees committed during the course and scope of their work.

If you shoot somebody at church, the church will be the primary target of litigation.

You of course will be joined in the suit individually, but if there is a judgment the employer or the church will have insurance. Your main cost will be the cost of hiring an attorney to represent your interest should there be a conflict between your interest and the interest of the employer or church. There are factors to consider when you are purchasing insurance.

It is always necessary, if you carry a gun, to know very well your states' law on self defense and the defense of others. They should be embedded in your mind in such a way that you don't have to try and recall them in a crisis. The best defense is always to stay within the law.

When it comes to the defense of others, you will have the same right of defense as the other person would have. If they have a perfect right of self defense then so will you. If they have no right or an imperfect right of self defense than so will you. You have no legal rights greater than they would have. Sometimes things don't always appear to be what they really are, so shooting somebody in the defense of others, is always a **** shoot. If you are right, you are OK, if you are wrong, then you go to prison.

Range shooting are always some sort of negligence tort and you will be sued as well as the range owner.

Wayne Smith
02-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Char-Gar. If I shoot somebody at work it will be in the defense of another therapist and there will already be blood on the floor/person. Never initiate! Virginia has a law that essentially says we do not have to retreat - but in most of these cases there is no place we could retreat anyway - being in offices.