PDA

View Full Version : Sad day today

abunaitoo
02-21-2017, 08:47 PM
After many, many years of use, my old RCBS hammer bullet puller broke.
I contacted RCBS for a replacement.
They only have the new style all plastic ones.
No metal shaft.
I'll miss this old girl.

Sean357
02-21-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm going to have to be a little more gentle then. I like the metal shaft on mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

birch
02-21-2017, 09:17 PM
I've always heard there is a special place in heaven for broken RCBS bullet pullers.

308Jeff
02-21-2017, 09:19 PM
I've always heard there is a special place in heaven for broken RCBS bullet pullers.

Hahaha!

I inherited one from my grandfather. Don't use it too often, but I think about him every time I do.

country gent
02-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Square the end up good and a heavy piece of pvc pipe fitted over it with the end cap glued on and glued onto the puller. Maybe a couple pins on the seams even should rejuvienate it for more use. Mine broke after 20 years of use where the handle head joined.

birch
02-21-2017, 10:21 PM
That sure is a fancy sittin stool that beaver made!

retread
02-21-2017, 10:45 PM
I broke one exactly like yours about a year ago. Called RCBS and they sent me a new one. The current model is the same except the handle is entirely plastic. Works the same though. I do believe the shock felt in your hand is less with the all plastic model.

Omega
02-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Hey, was your puller on the organ donor list? :p

runfiverun
02-21-2017, 11:58 PM
I have both types I reach for the plastic one.
the last metal one I broke was years ago when my mom was with us at a gun show.
she found one for like 2$ and asked if we needed it.
pop laughed and said no we got one.
he broke it within an hour of use getting home from the show. :lol:

the metal one I have now is the 2$ one he went back and got that afternoon.

Bent Ramrod
02-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Mine is a Quinetics, the original design. The first one I broke (about six months after I got it), they replaced for free. This second one took thirty years of heavy use and abuse before it broke behind where the handle joins the head. I think it had something to do with dispensing with the worn aluminum shell rim chuck and using much heavier snap-in shell holders to hold the cartridges.

I sent in a photo of the broken one and got a discount on a new one. Fair enough; the old one owed me nothing. The new edition still has the metal handle, but an improved design shell rim chuck. I filled the remains of the old one with a slurry of lead shot and epoxy glue, polished the scratches out of the nose, and now have a precision dead-blow plastic mallet for tapping shells into full-length sizing dies, drifting sights and loosening side plates.