PDA

View Full Version : Where to sell electronics scrap?

GoodOlBoy
02-21-2017, 05:29 PM
My wife and I are both in ill health, and I am trying to clean up our place (gonna be like climbing Everest at this point), and realized there is still ALOT of old "worthless" computer components in boxes from "back when". I know there are places that will buy the boards, chips, procs, etc but I have no idea who is reputable, and who isn't. Anybody sell components/scrap know of a reputable dealer? I don't want to rip the scrap down to gold, silver, solder, etc myself. I just want to pack it in boxes and ship it off, but man o man there are just tons of these places online and I'm kinda lost. I need a place that will deal in smaller lots as I don't have actual ton-age of the stuff, but I would say I've got fairly serious pound-age (seriously I wouldn't be surprised if JUST the boards etc weighed in at several hundred pounds by the end). The old metal cases will just go to the iron/steel/etc scrap buyer in town when next I am able to run in a load of aluminum cans. Anyway I hate to pay to just take it to the dump if I can even make enough off of it to pay for the next prescription, bottle of advil, etc. I've done minor salvage on the side in the past (steel, iron, brass, aluminum) and I know a little weight on some materials can wind up adding up to some lunch money. I'm hoping I can do the same here instead of paying to get rid of it.

In the end we are trying to purge and make our home a healthy living space again. But anytime I can make a little, or even just break even it helps. I know alot of folks around here know the feeling. I wish I could brag and say it's going to go to buying new guns and ammo, but it ain't.

Just curious, didn't know what section of the forum this might go under.

Thanks.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

popper
02-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Scrapper will take it but you probably have to pull the boards out - they don't want the plastic. I dumped ~ 50# of the stuff & got paid. CRT monitors are hard to get rid of here - & they don't make good targets. Nasty trick but IIRC, goodwill will take them and scrap them. You'd be amazed at the 'junk' people 'donate' that they haul off. Around here you have to pay to get rid of batteries, light bulbs (CFL), TV, etc.

Ken in Iowa
02-21-2017, 08:18 PM
There is a local shop that takes them in. I pull the processors and hard drives and they take the rest.

i have quite a few CPUs that I might sell on eBay.

OBIII
02-21-2017, 08:27 PM
If you could Richard, sort it and sell it on ebay. You would be surprised at what people will pay for things. Take a medium flat rate box of junk (useable stuff) and sell it as a mystery box.
OB

Grmps
02-21-2017, 08:46 PM
CPU's (have the highest value), memory, cards (video, sound, usb etc) and motherboards have value in precious metals. Computer Power supplies make good bench top 12v, 5v, 3.3v (and higher) DC Power Sources and the case can be used to house PID components. Now finding someone to buy this is limited quantities is another question. The cases and the rest of the components (with some exceptions ie larger / newer hard drives) have minimal value. I know nothing about scrap electronics sales / recycling in your area but believe one of the largest monitor recycling companies is in your state.

MaryB
02-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Problem is most of that scrap has little precious metals to recover. I know some sell the stuff on ebay after cutting off the gold fingers etc then landfill the rest. Here is a listing of the best CPU's for gold recovery http://www.ozcopper.com/computer-cpu-gold-yields/ they do sell on ebay to people who have the chemicals and setup to extract the gold.

popper
02-22-2017, 11:50 AM
The metals they can retrieve, gold isn't the only stuff & not much used in chips anymore, they hammer mill/grind it & sort. Plastics don't have any economy to them as so much is already being recycled. Won't hardly take insulated wire anymore.