PDA

View Full Version : 17 Remington Fireball

map55b
02-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Has anyone formed these from 223? What was your technique? Thanks!

racepres
02-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Never did that one...
Those necks are going to be quite thick..
Go to 221FB first and Ream the neck...then to 17FB and Turn the neck...What I would do...

GRUMPA
02-20-2017, 12:57 PM
I get folks here and there that ask if I do those, as well as the 20 Vartarg cases. They've ordered the 221 Fireball brass from me and run them through there sizer die to finish them off.

Forming them is easy for some and not so easy for others. When I do the 221 Fireball forming from 5.56/223 brass I need to run them through 4 separate dies just to form them. After forming I ream the necks, and if you ream you realize that on some there's hardly any material being removed, on others it's like holy cow. Even though the head stamps are all the same, the manufacturing isn't.

Anyone that has gotten brass from me to convert further into what ever they want, hasn't gotten back to me with any problems.

Iowa Fox
02-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Grumpa, You might have posted this before or even told me but I can't remember What tools are you using and how do you ream? Thanks

GRUMPA
02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
I use 2 of the 3 case forming dies for the 22Rem Jet when I form those. When I do those I intentionally leave the necks long, then ream in the lathe, then use a mini chop saw and trim.

First die just sizes and de-primes using the 223 sizer die, then the 2 form dies, then the final die is an altered 221Fireball sizer die.

I will add this......Any sort of deflector dings only get worse the more you stress the case. So it's almost required to inspect the cases prior to even getting started and cull the ones with dings.

Iowa Fox
02-20-2017, 08:05 PM
How are you holding the case in the lathe chuck? Where or whose reamer are you using? In your opinion will a Wilson trimmer give enough precision to ream necks accurately? Sorry to drive you crazy with all my questions.

GRUMPA
02-20-2017, 08:53 PM
I do all my reaming pretty much the same way. And as far as reamers go I just get the cheap ones, yes I know there's this quality issue but lets remember it's brass and your not taking a lot off.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138296&d=1430343014

I do production runs, so things like those bench mount trimmers are something I don't use without modification. I use a high speed drills and custom made 3-way trimmer heads, and I never ream with them.

Iowa Fox
02-21-2017, 12:51 AM
Gumpa all I can say is that when it comes to case forming and tools you are way out of my class. I'm envious of your equipment. And skill !!!