PDA

View Full Version : .223 sizing and pc

Smmagui1976
02-20-2017, 01:28 AM
I'm first time on this forum and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for after 3 days searching. I was having trouble sizing the .223 without powder be stripped and lead flashing all the way to base. I cast using the lee .225 mold and size through the .224 sizer. I came up with an idea and would like opinions. I put the alox on the rounds, waited and sized them after about 6 hours, worked beautifully, I have since soaked in see tone swirled and dumped the dirty liquid out and have them drying. Would there be an issue with shake and bake those bullets? I usually use espc for my pistol bullets, rifle rounds dslr have been the Bain of my existence. Thanks in advanced.
Shawn

Moonie
02-20-2017, 10:40 AM
There are lots of posts about powder coating 22 caliber boolits. I'm just starting to do it for my new 22 Nosler upper. I've cast for a 5.56 AR in the past but that was before I started powder coating.

runfiverun
02-20-2017, 01:44 PM
if you don't get all the alox off the powder won't stick.
you might want to try another lubricant for sizing.
dish soap or line pulling lube or even LEE case sizing lube.
they should be water soluble and easy to get off.

Tackleberry41
02-20-2017, 03:00 PM
I have simply given a spritz of WD40, comes off easy in acetone. Never know alox to come off easy, not where it would just wash off.

Lloyd Smale
02-21-2017, 08:49 AM
sounds like either you have a rough sizing die or you pc isn't curing properly. I just did about 3k 223 bulles out of the same mold and ran them through a lee 225 sizing die and had absolutely no bare spots.
I'm first time on this forum and I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for after 3 days searching. I was having trouble sizing the .223 without powder be stripped and lead flashing all the way to base. I cast using the lee .225 mold and size through the .224 sizer. I came up with an idea and would like opinions. I put the alox on the rounds, waited and sized them after about 6 hours, worked beautifully, I have since soaked in see tone swirled and dumped the dirty liquid out and have them drying. Would there be an issue with shake and bake those bullets? I usually use espc for my pistol bullets, rifle rounds dslr have been the Bain of my existence. Thanks in advanced.
Shawn

Smk SHoe
02-25-2017, 10:08 PM
How long did you wait after casting, coating and sizing? I was having problems with a 358 SWC shaving PC off the sides when I was casting, as soon as they cooled PCing them, and 20 minutes out of the oven was sizing. Terrible results. Now when casting with this mold, cast one weekend and everything else the next. No problems. ( I do this one for my neighbors dad, so never a rush)

Motor
02-26-2017, 12:36 AM
I agree it sounds like your PC is not cured properly. I don't know about .22 caliber but many folks on here have found that they can size bare boolits with their Lee push through size dies. Me included.

As for removing A-Lox and other lubes Xylol Xylene (sold in Lowe's and other places) will completely remove dried A-Lox in about 5 minutes. I use a strainer basket inside a metal coffee can. It's like a fryer basket in a deep fryer. A little soak time and some gentle action with the strainer basket is all it takes.

The stuff is powerful though and should only be used outdoors or like I use it in an open garage with ventilation.

I then put the boolits in water with dish soap then rinse twice with hot tap water.

Motor

Bama
02-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Lloyd may be right on the money. I have been working with long 6MM and had the same problem until I lengthened the throat and polished out the rough surface.