PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gribb #68 top punch "Houston We Have a Problem"

briarthorn
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I recently purchased 2 Hensley & Gibbs #68-BB 4 Cavity 200gr. Semi Wadcutter Bullet molds, along with them I ordered a RCBS Lube-a-matic 2 with .451 die and #460 top punch. Loaded a dumbie round and found that the top punch mars the top crown of the SWC, apparently its too tight of a top punch for this bullets configuration. Anybody out there in Cast Boolit land load this type of SWC Boolit had this same problem? I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the small mar on the top of my round is completely unsatisfactory by my standards, need to know what top punch# others have used for this boolit to stop that marring thats happening. Maybe theres a reference website to show the exact image of the top punch surface area with corresponding punch# donno. :violin:

GabbyM
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
To buy a punch. A Saeco for Lyman , RCBS to fit the Saeco #068 should work. LR 46551
But since you have a punch that's close. May as well do the epoxy form to fit trick.
You get a bullet sized nice and straight. Maybe push it in nose first to size without denting the nose.
Then use some bullet lube as release agent on the bullet. Place a dab of epoxy or other type glue into the nose of the punch. Set the punch down facing up. You'll want to let the epoxy set up to a gel state. Obviously you don't want to much glue or it will squeeze out all over and make a mess.
With the bullet nice and lined up in the sizing die. Place punch in ram. Bring the punch down onto the nose and let it form to fit. Then go watch TV while it sets up.

NVcurmudgeon
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I use a 421 top punch for my H&G 68, the same one that I use for RCBS 44-240 GC and 44-245 SWC.

briarthorn
07-05-2008, 12:05 AM
GabbyM I find that epoxying the bullet crown quite an interesting trick, it would truly be as precise and aligned fit one could get. I noted both your and NVcurmudgeon suggestions on top punches#'s, I was wondering if possibly there could be a web site out there that give an image of the actual end of the punch, that could be a helpful reference aid.