PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy Search Time

joeb33050
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I received the new Competitor pistol and 30 BR dies, and was preparing to start the accuracy search, wondering how long the search would take.
I take two guns to the range, and planned to take the 30/30 Martini bench gun along with the Competitor, since there were several 30/30 loads that needed working on. Then the light bulb lit.
I got the Martini back from Mark Penrod on February 18, 1993. He changed it from RF to CF, installed the Douglas Premium Air Gaged barre, chambeed it and blued it etc.
This gun has shot several 100 yard 250s and several 5 shot 100 yard groups in the high 2s. There are several loads that will reliably shoot 5 shot five group averages of or less than 1". It has won matches, served as a test gun for various experiments and is a reliable and fun gun to shoot.
Yet 15 years after receiving it, the accuracy search goes on.
I've read of shooters who claim to be able to do the accuracy search in numbers like "47" shots, but it doesn't work for me.
Maybe, for me, the accuracy search goes on forever.
How about you?
joe b.

buck1
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
The fun is "looking for the smaller group" , Once you get it ....Its time for a new toy!
The truth is you found a good load long ago, but wheres the fun in that!
No challange, no fun! ...I feel your pain, its good to have high standards...Buck

JDL
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Know what you mean. I can have a little spare time on my hands and my mind gets to wondering how such and such loads shoots, so I' ll load up a few to check. I just returned from the range after spending all morning there shooting such loads in my '06. Out of 5 different loads only one seemed to shoot as good as my standard load of 25 grains of IMR-4198/31141 sized to .311". And that boolit shouldn't shoot as good as it does because the nose is only .299".
JDL