PDA

View Full Version : It looks great-just doesn't work

jaystuw
11-06-2005, 12:08 PM
have you ever noticed that it seems like some fishing lures are painted in such a way to attract the fisherman more than the the fish (i'm really starting off on the wrong foot here but with almost a 1000 members somebodys going to be weird) With that said , I was wondering if that ever happens with us.Bullets that look good but for whatever reason can't or don't work. One that comes to mind is 323366,it looks (to me anyway) just like a minature artillery shell. But lyman notes that with the short bearing surface in the rear it is going to have accuracy problems. That didn't stop it from being in the catalog for years. Its little brothers,287377 and 311329 also had a good run. For me as a plinker, I like them. They cast easy,feed good and are fun to shoot and well, what can I say, I'm a sucker for slick bullets and those fancy fishing lures.even if I can't hit or catch anything with them!

John

waksupi
11-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi John,
I sincerely believe the lure makers have caught a fish, as soon as we lay down our money for the newest whizbang lure. We, being the fish.
I have been suckered in by some dubious bullet designs, that just didn't work in the rifles, pistol, or at the velocities I have wanted to use them for.
I've had some designs such as you describe, a Saeco mold coming to mind in .30 caliber. Real sleek, short bearing surface. And it really shoots, in a couple of my rifles. But not all. Something I have learned over the years from this bunch, is about bearing surface, and nose configuration, as I look at hunting as the end game to most of my casting. I'll bet you won't find many here, who don't have one of those sharp pointy type molds in thier collection.

jaystuw
11-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Waksupi-

So maybe Im not as weird as I though .That stuff happens to you to! But don't judge me sane yet, I am from california and at the exact center of the explosive growth and skyrocketing cost. Its kind of funny that we get suckered on the same fishing lures.and take are chances with the same types of bullets that aren't suppost to work . And yet live in places that could not be more different.For example,right now as I look out my window not 12 ft away I see my neighbors wall,not his fence, the wall to his house! Thats the way we build them here! You must love montana!

John

762cavalier
11-06-2005, 04:46 PM
welcome Jaystuw I have just started this bullet casting stuff and found this place immensely useful and full of people who have tried some of those crazy ideas and can tell you which have worked and which have not. personally I think the whole lot here(myself included) have at least a screw or two loose. :bigsmyl2:

waksupi
11-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Growth and cost are rearing thier heads here, too. The billionaires will be running out the millionaires, shortly. It happened in Jackson Hole, and all the signs are pointing that way in my area.

I do have better views, though. Here's a thread I started a while back of the area.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2336&page=1&pp=40

crazy mark
11-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Jaystuw,
I HP'd the 323366 i have and it actually shoots good out of my Marlin 336 is 32 SPL. Sometimes that's all some of those dubious shooting moulds need. Helps put more weight to the rear of the bullet. Mark

sundog
11-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Mark, yer beginning to sound like Beagle. "Put a hole in the nose o'that thar boolit, and it'll shoot better." hehehehehe.... sundog

crazy mark
11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Sundog,
I kinda helped him with one years ago. Looked what that turned into. I buy molds now just to HP them. I have done some experimenting with variable length noses but don't have the equipment at my disposal that he does. Just a mini lathe and a drill press. Never had a mould I HP'd shoot worse that it did in regular form. Mark

jaystuw
11-07-2005, 01:06 AM
cavlier762-
I see your picture , is it possible that we could be related. probably not. Its just that we share a number of facial features. No big deal ,they say that everyone has a double somewhere. Will talk on e-mail JOHN

Waksupi-
I clicked on your thread, OOOOOOWWWWW MY EYES!!! TO MUCH, TO MUCH. More beauty and open space than my senses can accept or understand . I had to go outside and gaze at the McMansions carpeting the hills around my house and the gigantic mall that had its grand opening last thursday, to adjust my eyes to normal. But at least the shock is over. If I go slowly, a picture at a time, I should be ok -JOHN

crazy mark-
Good idea! I also have a 32 spl. (26in winchester 94) and used a early Ideal mold that is 319 and does not fit. I wonder if instead of hollow pointing the 323366, I could just clip the points off . I have a double cavity mold and cast 323366 in large amounts so that would work out great for me,Thanks-JOHN