PDA

View Full Version : FYI Bad batch of Winchester small Pistol Magnum primers

Grmps
02-18-2017, 09:29 PM
I Just bought 2 bricks of Winchester small Pistol Magnum primers Lot No. MAL586G, shot 10 in a glock 17,10 in a glock 19 and 10 in a ruger p89.
(was checking feeding for a new OAL) Only 6 out of the 30 fired the first time. I picked them up and ran them through again (:redneck: )and got 12 more to fire. The rest have deep firing pin marks and no bang. They are going back to Sportsman's Warehouse Tomorrow. I prefer CCI but they only had these in small pistol. Next time I'll wait.

ioon44
02-19-2017, 09:59 AM
When I was using reduced power striker springs in my Glock 19 and 22 I had a lot of miss fires with all primers and had a deep primer strike. So I went back to factory springs and the miss fires stopped but you can have a few bad primers from any brand.

Half Dog
02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
I had the same issue. I sent them to Winchester and they said they weren't seated deep enough. The anvil has to be pressed up into the primer to make it sensitive enough to go bang.

NSB
02-19-2017, 10:18 AM
After over fifty years of reloading, I'd be looking at the gun or the depth of the primer...not the primer. As stated, you can get a bad primer but I doubt that was the problem. I could count all the bad primers I've had over the last twenty-five years on one hand. Since you had failures in several guns, I'd guess it's because they weren't seated deep enough.....or else you changed something in each gun like springs, etc.

Shiloh
02-19-2017, 05:45 PM
When I was using reduced power striker springs in my Glock 19 and 22 I had a lot of miss fires with all primers and had a deep primer strike. So I went back to factory springs and the miss fires stopped but you can have a few bad primers from any brand.

Why do you use reduced power striker springs??

SHiloh

308Jeff
02-19-2017, 05:48 PM
This makes (3) people I know of, including myself, who have had issues with Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Mine and the other fellow's weren't magnum primers though.

scotner
02-19-2017, 08:17 PM
This makes (3) people I know of, including myself, who have had issues with Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Mine and the other fellow's weren't magnum primers though.

I didn't know Winchester made a magnum small pistol primer. Just the WSP. Winchester primers are normally all I use in pistol cartridges and never had any problem with them.

308Jeff
02-19-2017, 08:26 PM
I didn't know Winchester made a magnum small pistol primer. Just the WSP. Winchester primers are normally all I use in pistol cartridges and never had any problem with them.

Wasn't aware they made them either.

TES
02-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Best thing to do is to smack a primer with a hammer on concrete...if you get an equal amount of failures with the hammer, they are bad..however...if they go bang its your gun tinkery or loading process that is the problem. Oil is the prime suspect if primers work on the floor and not in your gun. ie....

1). too much oil on your machine getting rotated around to your priming station (primer contamination)
2). using oil to lube cases. (do not do this)
3). too much oil in your guns (glock especially) etc....
4). do not let WD-40 anywhere near a primer or machine.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Just ordered 5000 WSP, never had a problem before, hope they are okay!

ioon44
02-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Why do you use reduced power striker springs??

SHiloh

In the world of after market parts for the Glock reduced power striker springs are sold to improve the trigger pull weight. In my experience the light springs led to miss fires so I went back to factory springs.

Screwbolts
02-20-2017, 09:49 AM
IMHO, most likely, not seated properly, week springs or light strikes for the primers. Mag primers may have tougher cups for higher pressure loads.

Because the fired on second tap, IMHO, it points to your fire arms or loading practices not the primers.

Ken

buckshotshoey
02-20-2017, 10:01 AM
I would go with the "not properly seated" response. Try removing the primer seating operation from the progressive, and prime a batch by hand primer or single stage press. That way you can confirm if it is or isn't the progressive press that's causing the problem. Of course this is assuming you are using a progressive.

grizz41
02-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Only problem I ever had was with CCI small pistol primers 25 yrs ago. 51 misfires out of 550 rds! DA revolvers wouldn't indent deep enough.Colt SA with the long heavy hammer ignited all but one of the duds. possibly they got a batch of rifle cups or primers mixed up. no one bats 100%!