PDA

View Full Version : Amazon will donate to your charity for you.

StolzerandSons
02-18-2017, 01:30 PM
I just learned this today, that if you shop through smile.amazon.com they will donate a percentage of your smile purchases to the charity of your choice at no cost to you.
They even have several good gun 501's you can donate to like the National Muzzleloading rifle association or the NRA foundation Inc. as well as most of the charities people would know like Red Cross or the American Cancer Society, etc..

Just go to smile.amazon.com then to you account settings and then click on the charity link and then either search for your charity or look through their lists.

Just thought I would pass that along since it doesn't cost you anything to participate and it gives money to the charity of your choice.

Idaho45guy
02-18-2017, 02:36 PM
I saw that a couple of weeks ago... Have signed up for the Salvation Army Western Division for my donations.

jonp
02-18-2017, 07:03 PM
There are a couple of sites that if you go through them first they will donate to charities of your choice. Salvation Army is at the top of my list every year.

That button bar is not on my account. You must go through smile.amazon.com

Surprisingly, The NRA is there. Pick your favorite and you might as well donate as you shop. I've been doing it for a few years through a different sight. Please take a look at Might Oaks Foundation. They do good work

dragon813gt
02-18-2017, 07:08 PM
It's not just charities. A lot of entertainers, comedians, will get a kickback when they drive traffic to Amazon. I don't know what the percentage is. Amazon was one of the early advertisers for podcasts.

phonejack
02-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Without the thanks of my States (Arkansas) Legislature, Amazon will now start collecting state sales tax on purchases originating in Arkansas.

dragon813gt
02-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Without the thanks of my States (Arkansas) Legislature, Amazon will now start collecting state sales tax on purchases originating in Arkansas.

Same thing happened here a few years back. It's a lot of money so I can't blame the states for wanting it. Even w/ the tax it's almost always cheaper to buy through Amazon. I can deal w/ the two day wait to save a good bit of money.

KenH
02-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Yep, it happened here in Alabama also, but that is only for purchases "sold by Amazon". I purchased an item last week that said "sold by xxxx, packed by Amazon" and it wasn't taxed. Like ya'll, I sure hate to spend those few extra dollars, but the state does wish to get it's share.

While I'm a BIG supporter of local business, I'm pretty guilty of just ordering on-line because it's so easy, and many times a tad less expensive.

Ken H>

dragon813gt
02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Yep, it happened here in Alabama also, but that is only for purchases "sold by Amazon". I purchased an item last week that said "sold by xxxx, packed by Amazon" and it wasn't taxed. Like ya'll, I sure hate to spend those few extra dollars, but the state does wish to get it's share.

I'd imagine it's the same everywhere. If Amazon has a physical presence in your state, like a distribution center or office, they are required to collect sales tax. Third party sellers that aren't located in the state don't fall under this rule.

I'd also imagine when doing your state taxes there is an area that you're supposed to fill in for out of state purchases. I'm close enough to Delaware, which is tax free, that many people drive there for large purchases. They're supposed to claim this purchase on their taxes. It's been this way since long before Amazon.

Geezer in NH
02-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Being from NH Sales Tax??? You let your politikians due that Tax on income tax on out go something wrong there IMHO

daloper
02-19-2017, 05:42 PM
I have been using Smile at amazon for some time now. I found that one of our local christian youth camps are on the list so I have them listed. They are on my personal list to donate to also and I know the camp. I know where and what they spend their money on and I know that it is being used correctly.