PDA

View Full Version : nickel babbit in the alloy

mainiac
11-06-2005, 09:29 AM
i quick report on my latest brain-storm. got some high speed babbit that says nickel speed? anyways, added 1 lb to about 14 lbs of wheelweights. Ive always used straight ww before, with this stuff i can lower my temp to 730 degrees and still get beutiful bullets out of the lee molds. going to shoot today,and am anxious to see if they will help the leading in the mis-matched .32 mag ruger.Dont have a hardness tester so i just use the seat-of-your-pants method to determine what i need for a bullet. I use the 311316 lyman and a lee 311 92 bullet, around 1050 f.p.s. and i get leading in the first inch of barrell. Wrote in here before about this gun,,,, .309 throats, .3137 bore- havnt sent it back to ruger yet as it shoots so well,but the leading in the throat issue is a pain in the ass.will report back....

Buckshot
11-07-2005, 10:31 PM
............Interesting. I'd have thought that the nickel would have killed it's ability to deliver a good boolit?

...............Buckshot

woody1
11-07-2005, 11:04 PM
............Interesting. I'd have thought that the nickel would have killed it's ability to deliver a good boolit?

...............Buckshot

Actually nickel babbitt only contains about a half percent nickel. It's mostly tin + around 7.5% antimony, 3.5% copper. Good stuff to add if you've got it. Regards, Woody