PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into curling?

LaPoint
02-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Just wondering if any of the members here also curl? SWMBO forced me to come along and try it with here at the urging of one of her co-workers about 7 years ago. We really enjoy it. It's a good way for us to get out of the house and get some exercise during the winter.

trails4u
02-17-2017, 11:58 PM
12 oz. curls? I do like those..... :kidding:

SSGOldfart
02-18-2017, 12:08 AM
12 oz. curls? I do like those..... :kidding:
Light weight at least you could go for a pint.

bob208
02-18-2017, 12:12 AM
it is fun to watch. I guess I like to watch it because I like to play pool. only thing is I can play pool with out wearing ice skates. which is a total hazard for me any one around me.

trails4u
02-18-2017, 12:21 AM

Well, dang OldFart....I WAS referring to a 12 oz. bourbon. 16 puts me a bit over the limit. :)

runfiverun
02-18-2017, 12:54 AM
I don't think the ice fishermen would appreciate us trying it.
I like watching it though, there is some strategy and skill involved.

Fishman
02-18-2017, 08:34 AM
I tried the sport the other day but for some reason couldn't get things to work right.

So I'm going fishing today. It's supposed to top out around 80 degrees.

jonp
02-18-2017, 08:52 AM
We used to do it on the outside rink at home. Had fun but was never good at it. We usually did it waiting for the broomball to get going. I'm kinda surprised anyone here is into throwing the granite.

DrewSeeg
02-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Hey I've been curling for a few years now ... Definitely a good way to get some exercise and drink some beer at the same time.

bedbugbilly
02-18-2017, 11:26 AM
I saw it on TV a few times - kind of got interested in it and was thinking of setting up a "curling court" (or whatever you call it) in the street here. Before I went too far, I got the hose out to make a nice ice area - sprayed the road down but for some reason, I never got ice!? As soon as I get that figured out, I'll try to get a few neighbors interested and we can pick teams. As far as ice skates . . . I haven't been able to find any around here where we winter south of Tucson, AZ. Might have to drive up in to the big city to get 'em.

All kidding aside . . . I'e watched it a few times and it does look like an interesting pursuit and sport.

SSGOldfart - haven't been on her much this winter. Hope this finds all things well with you and yours. Take care Bob and don't overdo the "curling"! :-)

blackthorn
02-18-2017, 12:15 PM
it is fun to watch. I guess I like to watch it because I like to play pool. only thing is I can play pool with out wearing ice skates. which is a total hazard for me any one around me.

Watching you try to curl while wearing ice skates would certainly be -------interesting---LOL

dragon813gt
02-18-2017, 01:16 PM
I learned way to much about the ice conditions for it this past week. Apparently they're completely different than hockey. And apparently there is to much science involved when it comes to ice at the AHL/NHL level. Here it thought they just froze the floor and started layering the ice on it. It seems Canadians have to much time on their hands since their country is frozen for nine months out of the year :laugh:

Curling looks like it's a fun game to play while drinking. But that's about it. Taking it seriously is something I will never be able to do.

jonp
02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
I don't think the ice fishermen would appreciate us trying it.
I like watching it though, there is some strategy and skill involved.
Called a buddy of mine today to rub his nose in the 75 weather we are having and sent him a few pictures of our broccoli and cabbage that are 10 inches tall. He was ice fishing and already had two 14lb+ Northern's on the ice.

Hickory
02-18-2017, 07:26 PM
When ever I feel the urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes away.

clum553946
02-19-2017, 05:00 AM
High reps, low weight!!!

MT Gianni
02-20-2017, 10:56 AM
I have enjoyed watching it during the winter olympics. I have said I would like to be the person that yells the unintelligible words as the rock goes down the ice.

Half Dog
02-20-2017, 11:52 AM
I don't think the sport has caught on in Texas.

finstr
02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
I got invited to curling once. I told them there's absolutely no way, NO WAY I could possibly drink that much beer. Then I was told that they do that game sober.
Pshaw azziff!
I'm still not sure if they were serious or not. I'll stick to hockey.
no offense.

LaPoint
02-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Curling is a very technical game. It does have a language of its own also. Our club hosted the junior National tournament in March, 2016. According to the ice makers that the U.S. Curling Association sent, the elevation change of the ice from one end of the sheet to the other, a distance of 146 ft, is .007 inch. It took us 7 days to convert the hockey arena ice to good curling ice.

shooter2
02-21-2017, 08:39 PM
I was born and raised in Saint Paul, MN. My part time job, while in high school, would occasionally take me by the curling club on University Ave. If it was open I would stop and watch. Even as a kid I though it was pretty damned cool. Still do. I note that a good number of team USA are from Minnesota. No surprise there.

kmrra
02-21-2017, 09:20 PM
is that the sport where they have the mop and the great big hockey puck LOL , I like to watch it too

waksupi
02-22-2017, 12:18 PM
I get together with friends on Fridays for coffee. During the winter Olympics, everything else was ignored when the TV was on, except for curling. We all enjoy it. I have a lady friend from Saskatchewan that has played all her life, and loves it.