PDA

View Full Version : I am pee off

MR45
02-15-2017, 04:17 PM
I have always had free lead.
Now the hunt gets harder.

The Board of Directors has recently revised the club's policy regarding the removal of spent lead and brass (casings) from our ranges. Please take note.
Removal of spent lead from any of our ranges by individual members is now prohibited. This applies to lead removed from the bullet trap on the Indoor Pistol Range and any lead that might be sifted from berms or other areas on the outdoor ranges. The club has contracted with a licensed metals recycler to remove lead from the property, for which the club receives payment.
The reason for this change is to limit the club's liability for any potential mishandling of lead originating on our ranges. Once removed from the property, lead and any associated waste products are subject to regulation as hazardous materials by the EPA, depending on the exact nature of the ultimate disposition. For that reason, and because the club cannot control the material once it leaves our property, the BoD has chosen to allow only the contracted metals recycler to remove any lead from club property.
We undestand that this may come as a dissapointment to those few members who cast their own bullets and have enjoyed the ability to reclaim lead for personal use in the past. We need to weigh that benefit against the potentially large liability incurred as a result.
As a reminder, the policy for spent brass (casings) is that members may remove casings for their personal use in reloading activities, from the ground or from collection buckets. Removal of brass, other than that shot by the individual member, for any other purpose than reloading, including recycling for payment, remains prohibited.

standles
02-15-2017, 04:27 PM
So sad.

shoot-n-lead
02-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Always heard that it was better to pee'd off than pee'd on.

smokeywolf
02-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Get rid of those female Dem-turds (Shaheen, Hassan, Porter, Kuster) in your State Senate and House and maybe you can avoid further loss.

ShooterAZ
02-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Same rules at our range, from the very start.

Yodogsandman
02-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Which club?

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 05:15 PM
I always advise to get waay more than you think you'll ever use.
you'll almost always use it and wish you'd have got more.

MR45
02-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Chester Rod &a Gun Club
Chester NH

308Jeff
02-15-2017, 05:19 PM
I'd be PO'd too.

MR45
02-15-2017, 05:20 PM
I have enough for about 10 years.
I'm trying to think of some type of a portable system to recover my own

308Jeff
02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
I have enough for about 10 years.
I'm trying to think of some type of a portable system to recover my own

We might have to start attaching strings to the bases of our bullets, so we can pull 'em back in after we fire them.

Gtek
02-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Does it not seem that everything today no matter how "THEY" disguise the conversation with some form of protection I always think they are worried about $$$$$!

randyrat
02-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the Lead reclamation company salesman did a good snow job on the Range board of directors

modified5
02-15-2017, 06:36 PM
It says it's to limit the clubs liability, but the real reason is stated in the previous sentence, the club receives payment.
All they care about is the all mighty $.
If it were myself, I would try to find another more member friendly shooting club. jmho

JWT
02-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Ask what the new lower subsidized dues are.

Bookworm
02-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Sounds like the Lead reclamation company salesman did a good snow job on the Range board of directors

This is what happened. The reclamation company sales rep came in and scared the pants off the BoD.

I've seen it happen in other places.

Hickory
02-15-2017, 06:46 PM
Control.
It's all about control.

Free men control the situation,
they are not controlled by the situation.

bigdog454
02-15-2017, 07:20 PM
No problem for me. I built my own range, and I even invite friends over; so when I need lead I just go scoop some up. I was able to mine a range that haden't been touched for 20 + years before it was closed and the EPA got their hands on it and was able to get about 1000 lbs of range lead. As for your own range, I am luckey to have 3/4 mile of uninhabited woodland behind my property.
BD

bulletbaron
02-15-2017, 07:25 PM
You have to love P.C. As**oles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

308Jeff
02-15-2017, 07:28 PM

I sure would.

fredj338
02-15-2017, 07:30 PM
It's always about the $$$.

dbosman
02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
I can't buy or even bid on the contract for a local .22 range due to EPA requirements. I can buy the salvaged lead from the scrap yard that picks it up in bunny suits and respirators, and sells it by the shovel full into my buckets. Oh, well. It's too soft and dirty anyway.

Geezer in NH
02-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Get rid of those female Dem-turds (Shaheen, Hassan, Porter, Kuster) in your State Senate and House and maybe you can avoid further loss.
Won't help the M*****s have taken over in one club I belong to mantra is LAWSUITS, LAWSUITS,
LAWSUITS, very sickening.

I left one club when they closed the skeet range cause shot landed in the club owned pond due to complaints of non members who walked around the pond instead of Draining the freaking pond. That was the Farmington club.

Geezer in NH
02-15-2017, 08:14 PM
Get rid of those female Dem-turds (Shaheen, Hassan, Porter, Kuster) in your State Senate and House and maybe you can avoid further loss.letting MA locate in state gave us them. Add the supposed republican Ayotte and I agree.

We call it pu_________ tion

dragon813gt
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM
They have no liability once it leaves the property. Good chance one of the board members is friends w/ someone in the reclamation company, or they got something out of the deal. If you have the time run to be a board member. If not you have the right as a member to know the details of the deal. Was this measure voted on? If so you can't just blame the board. Anything like this has to be brought before the membership as the clubs I belong to.

jsizemore
02-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Is the reclamation company going to make lead available for you to buy?

I'd be running for the board of directors along with some casting friends.

wv109323
02-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Where does lead ore come from? It must be grown on trees since it is a big deal once it gets into a shooting berm.(dirt)
I would propose to the board, that lead bullets striking each other in the berm be stopped. The impact of lead on lead could generate lead dust that could be inhaled. I would propose that one bullet be shot and then the bullet retrieved by the company contracted to recover the lead. Then a second shot could be fired. After all you must consider the health of club members since lead is such a hazard..
Lead must get in the body in very small particles to harm it. A cannon ball that has been in the ocean for 200 years is still the same size and weight.
The danger of lead is equal to global warming. Follow the money.
To answer my question: it is mined from the earth. So putting lead into a berm is relocating and reintroducing a natural resource back to its natural environment.

Texas by God
02-15-2017, 10:09 PM

This. You are losing a benefit for BS reasons. Raise Hell my friend. I'm fortunate to have my own range because even in Texas the shooting ranges have some stupid rules. One I visited had a rule that if your brass or shotgun hull hits the ground- it's theirs. Another said I had to shoot my XP100 at the 25 yd range because it was a handgun. I was a guest of friends at the first place so I went along. At the other range I packed up and demanded(and got)a refund. Never went back to either. Best, Thomas.

Leadmelter
02-15-2017, 10:21 PM
We have same policy here but the club uses members to do the indoor range. It is dirty work in hazmat suits. Still can't keep the lead, all goes to the recycle company.
Real ****. EPA has real boner for lead.
Leadmelter
MI

woodbutcher
02-15-2017, 11:39 PM
[smilie=b: Sounds like they are lovers of the SNL bunch.You know the ones."Snot Nose Lickers".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Yodogsandman
02-16-2017, 12:01 AM
I belong to the Farmington Fish and Game Club and they covered their berms with about 2 feet of bark mulch. They claim it's to absorb the bullets, preventing ricochets. Happened just after a lead reclamation company dredged the berms. Very hard to get any range lead out now.

Geezer in NH, the skeet range is open.

OptimusPanda
02-16-2017, 12:07 AM
If I read that policy correctly, it's against the rules too for one person to give a spent case to another. I've been to a range where it was against range rules to remove any brass at all. It all got barreled up and sold most likely. Next time I went there, a new sign was up "no steel cased ammo".

flyingmonkey35
02-16-2017, 01:04 AM
I understand no steel core ammo.

And i went to a range to test some loads for my ar. They did NOT like me picking up my brass.

I asked if i could buy the brass or lead they said flat put no. Refused to give me a reason. Oh well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Hardcast416taylor
02-16-2017, 05:09 AM
So I have my own range and am the only user of it. Am I now supposed to start threatening myself about lead retrival and picking up my own brass under threat of banning myself from using my own range? This after I had just learned all the range users by their first names!Robert

Beagle333
02-16-2017, 06:43 AM
So I have my own range and am the only user of it...

Same here.

Perhaps I should get some sort of liability policy to cover myself in case I decide to sue myself for any damages incurred while scavenging lead from the range? ;)

finstr
02-16-2017, 07:18 AM
I would insist that the club gives you your boolits back since they're so toxic and you don't want to be responsible for potentially harming the environment and its inhabitants.

Gewehr-Guy
02-16-2017, 07:56 AM
I can imagine in the future where the reclamation companies receive govt. grants to clean up ranges with the stipulation that all lead be exported , then banned from future importation . If you have your own range ,best find ways to reclaim your own lead.

jmort
02-16-2017, 08:38 AM
"I'd be running for the board of directors along with some casting friends."

Makes sense. If you can. These little groups tyrranize people. Like HOAs. Small, tiny, vindictive, self-serving, weenies. Love to busy-body others.

02-16-2017, 11:28 AM
If by "THEY" you mean the club, I don't think so. There is real liability regarding the lead and they have to show due dilligence. No way are they going to be making money from lead recovered from the backstops. By the time they pay the contracted metal recycler their best hope is to come out even and I'm not sure that is going to happen. They might also be doing this to aid in getting, keeping or reducing their general insurance cost.

lightman
02-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Sorry for the loss of your source of lead. I like the suggestion of running for club office with several of your friends. Threads like these make me thankful to live in a small rural community and belong to a small private range.

mdi
02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Are the "ruling" members lawyers? Or do they only shoot jacketed bullets, Factory ammo?

fredj338
02-16-2017, 03:53 PM
I would NOT shoot at a range that made me leave my brass, it is my brass after all. One of the private ranges I belong to has a rule that you MUST police up your brass after you shoot. Many do not, so there are days I could collect a 3gal bucket of mixed brass. No issue mining the berms either as long as you put the dirt back. My only source of free lead in Kalifornistan. Where illegal criminal aliens & the Condor have more rights than I do.

MR45
02-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Are the "ruling" members lawyers? Or do they only shoot jacketed bullets, Factory ammo?
Most shoot factory ammo and the reloaders shoot cast coated bullets very few casters in the club

robg
02-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Our club mines the lead melts it down and gives it to the guys that helped redo the berms ,can pick up all the brass you can find as long as you do it for your own use no to sell.