PDA

View Full Version : scale and check weights

gray wolf
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
OK---Not to do with casting but hey who you gonna trust. Me I trust this forum
always for no B/S answers so here is the ?
I want to re-check my r c b s powder scale and I have two check weights.
a 10 grain and a 30 grain. I don't use over 30 grains for any loads.
If I zero my scale and the 10 and 30 grain check weights prove OK am I good to go.

#2 I always wondered if a scale was good at lets say the low end of the scale is it good at the Mid point also??

I guess I am wondering when a scale is good to go.
I worry about everything. :roll:

GW.

crazy mark
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I bought a set of check weights that total about 10 grs if I remember correctly and I use those to double check my electronic scales on the low end. They cost about 410 when I bought them. Mark

dromia
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
You've got it, zero it and then check 10g, 30g and 40g settings for zero with 10, 30 and 40g weights

A zero'd scale should read all weights accurately.

Calamity Jake
07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
First off make sure everything is clean, no dust, dirt or powder grains anywhere and no magnets very close, then check and alighn "0"
Now check the scales against the weights, remember that the scales are accurate to ±.2 grains so you coud see that 2/10's grain difference.

gray wolf
07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
OK-- here is the problem I am having. I have not used my scale in 3 months.
The last time I used it my 10 and 30 grain weights were right on the money.
I would zero the scale---no drafts or open windows, no vibration yada,yada.
Now the weights are about 3/10 Th's of a grain on the heavy side.
I will go back and check some things.

Thank you for the help.

GW.

montana_charlie
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
OK-- here is the problem I am having. I have not used my scale in 3 months.
The last time I used it my 10 and 30 grain weights were right on the money.
I would zero the scale---no drafts or open windows, no vibration yada,yada.
Now the weights are about 3/10 Th's of a grain on the heavy side.
You have not indicated whether this is a mechanical or electronic scale.
If it is electronic, let it warm up before checking it for zero, or re-zero-ing it.
Letting it warm up for a full five minutes (or more) is not 'too long'.

Also warm up any electronic scale before weighing anything you care about.
CM

dromia
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Good point Charlie, my reply assumed a beam scale.

DLCTEX
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
If it's a beam scale, make sure the pivots are clean and lightly lubed. Dust in the pivots will throw it off. That's the only reason I have ever found mine to be off. DALE

454PB
07-03-2008, 10:47 PM
A big third on what MC said. I have two digital scales and three balance beam scales. I check them against each other using the check weights, and also with a penny. I use a sharpie to write the grain weight on the penny (talk about a cheapskate).

I don't trust the digital scales at all until they have warmed up and stabilized.

gray wolf
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
As I thought you all were a great help. I checked everything and here is what I found---The top of the test weight is shaped like a little dumb-bell or hour glass.
There was a little, small, indiscreet little piece of bullet lube hiding in a spot that I could not see. I cleaned it off and gently cleaned the test weights and viola sis,boom, bang. holly balance beam bat man within a 1/10 of a grain again.

Sorry I didn't say it was a balance beam R C B C.

I guess I am OK now--Sooooooo thanks for all the help.

GW.

dromia
07-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Glad your sorted Gray Wolf, ask and ye shall receive. :-D

Alchemist
07-04-2008, 08:44 PM
FWIW...

My PACT digital scale calibration instructions have you place the 20 gram checkweight on the scale, then the 50 gram, then both and finally zero weight on the scale. It also states that if you will be measuring light weights to stop at the 20 gram step. Suposedly, the lower calibration weight will make light weight measurements more accurate. YMMV

Alchemist