PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a Vendor Sponsor that makes shovel handles for the Star Sizer?

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2017, 10:39 AM
The title says it all.
Please let me know.
I can order from Magma but I would prefer to do business with our Vendor Sponsors.
Many thanks,
Donald

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-15-2017, 11:03 AM
I bought a "L" handle from lathesmith, it works great.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65536-Star-sizer-Handle-Any-interest-in-a-roller-L-handle

It seems there is one or two others that offer a aftermarket handle

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
I just sent a PM to Lathesmith.
Thanks!
Donald

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
if Chris doesn't do them I think inline Fabrication does them.
a roller handle could work just as well as a shovel handle, but I think I would prefer the shovel type on the star.

FISH4BUGS
02-15-2017, 01:30 PM
if Chris doesn't do them I think inline Fabrication does them.
a roller handle could work just as well as a shovel handle, but I think I would prefer the shovel type on the star.
So help me out.....what is the difference in action and movement? My shoulder is killing me now and I am icing it as we speak.
Why would one be better than the other?

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 05:09 PM
it's a personal thing.
I have the roller handle on a couple of different machines and always think I have to "choke up" towards the bar to keep it from twisting.
it most likely won't, I just 'think' it will.

BrassMagnet
02-15-2017, 10:44 PM
The "File" handle hurts and bruises my palm.

The "D" handle rips skin off my thumb when my hand gets just a little out of place.

I think I am going to try my "L" handle!

Any bets on what flavor of "Whine" I am going to come up with after that?

Finster101
02-15-2017, 10:50 PM
What's wrong with a round cue ball handle.? No flames, just asking.

BrassMagnet
02-15-2017, 10:55 PM
What's wrong with a round cue ball handle.? No flames, just asking.

I don't have one!

By the way, a heated base will reduce the force required and your shoulder will love that!

Beagle333
02-15-2017, 11:02 PM
I have two handles from vendor kyle623 and love those. They aren't exactly the square L shape, but more of the Y that is open on one side. The shape and feel would be very close to the shovel handle.
I find them to be very comfortable on my Stars.

starreloader
02-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Have both the 'L' handle from Lathesmith and the "y" handle from Kyle.. Both work equally well for me. Although the 'L' seems to work best on the Star that I size all of my 40,41,44 & 45's on while Kyles handle works great on the Star that does all the 38 and smaller calibers. Don't think you can go wrong going with either handle. And there is much less stress on the hand and shoulder using these handles.

runfiverun
02-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Finister:
it's the speed, I do a boolit a second when I get everything up and running.
I have 22 tubes for big and small boolits and run off a tube in just over a minute I do 10 tubes add lube, then do 10 more.
that's 11-1300 boolits in about a 1/2 hour.

the ball handle would rub my palm down to the bone and I would have to pick it up and shove it down.
the shovel handle allows me to partially pick up my arm then flick my wrist to drop the boolit in the size die before pushing it into the die and lubing it.

FISH4BUGS
02-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Well, I just ordered an "L" handle from lathesmith. I think that should help the sore shoulder situation. i need to think more ergonomically if I am going to do this manic casting/sizing/lubing thing.
More coming. 44 mag is next with and without gas checks. I will be trading many of these 38/357/44/45 cast bullets for brass that I need, or brass that I just want to stockpile.
I must be nuts. I am actually beginning to enjoy this casting, lube/sizing and doing gas checks almost as much as the shooting itself. Winters are long here in NH, so what's a poor boy to do?
Load up for the summer, that's what!
Plus trade for a lot of stuff and put the brass in inventory.

FISH4BUGS
02-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I have a Midway heated base. I use Magma lube.
It is just the sheer volume of bullets to size and lube that got to me.

I don't have one!
By the way, a heated base will reduce the force required and your shoulder will love that!