PDA

View Full Version : AAR - Pig Hunt

Omega
02-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Just got back from a hunt at xbeeman412's ranch
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?319456-Pig-hunt-auction

First off, met some good people there, Charlie and his wife are some great down to earth individuals that work as a team to get things done. The hunting site is great, a two man stand which overlooks two sectors of fire, if you don't count the woods. The camp site has sleeping arrangements and electricity, but you should bring in some water, and either be comfortable being a bear in the woods or bring a portable. There is a freezer available with plenty of room, I would suggest some 1 gallon freezer ziplocks and some bigger bags if you just quarter it like we did. xbeeman412 has a 4wheeler to get to the stand and bring the pigs back, a gambrel and a tractor with forks is there to work on the harvest as well as a folding table to work on. The feeder is roughly 120 yards out so most shots will be there or closer, the light and sensor at the feeder are great, giving you plenty of warning something is there. Night vision would be great, or a reticle that can be seen at night. I had a green laser but didn't want to spoil the shot for my hunting partner so didn't use it, but did light up the raccoons with no reaction from them so maybe the pigs will be the same.

We came in Friday afternoon, shot a few rounds to confirm zero and sat and chatted until about an hour before sunset. Pigs where showing up on camera around 8pm and 12 midnight, so we knew we would be in for some bacon soon. Like a clock, the raccoons came out and scouted the area for the pigs around 8, by 8:30 there were 4 pigs in the corn. My reticle disappeared when I lit it so told my partner to send it, shot out, then it squealed like a, well like a pig. The shot knocked him over, feet flailing while he squealed.. then up it goes and runs into the woods. Found the blood trail but after 40 minutes of trailing we lost the trail when it crossed a wet area where they had gone into the creek. Hunted until 1am but the second sounder didn't show up. Second day, swapped scopes, three rounds to confirm zero and at it again. This time, a large sounder came at us from the left. We thought they were making a beeline to the corn but either winded us or something spooked them off to whence they came. Four more came in on the corn in the front, but instead of stopping, they went right past it and circled around us in the woods crossing where the other sounder had been giving us no chance at a shot. Waited some more and here comes some more, this time told my partner to send it since it was getting early. He squeezed the trigger and click..soft strike on the primer. A quick reload on the AR10, with no action from the sounder, and back in business. This time, he put one in his liver and when he rolled over squealing, put another one in him to make sure. Within a few minutes we were dressing, quartering and putting him in bags for the freezer.

I must say, had a great time even though I didn't get to break in my 300Blk this trip. Charlie, thanks for the hospitality and the great memories, hope to return again soon.

popper
02-13-2017, 08:02 PM
What load did you guys use? Any tricks to keep the coons from getting all the corn?

Omega
02-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Sorry, we both were using j-words, he a factory Rem 308 core lokt, unsure of grain, I used reloaded Barnes 110 blacktip. The coons, about 6 or so, or the same two multiple times, really didn't make a dent in the corn. But, I have read diesel keeps other game out, some mix it right into the corn, some just spray it around the corn; I'd opt to just let them have some unless they do clean out the feeder.

xbeeman412
02-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Thanks Omega for the chance to meet You and Criss, come back any time.

I feed enough corn for coons and pigs alike. Every day I dump a coffee can of corn under the led lights to keep them there for plenty of shooting time.

Pigs come almost every night but do take off for a few days before back at our corn. For those interested I will take more hunters with money going to Me not Grey Wolf for the truck. Email if You are interested.