PDA

View Full Version : I had an M1 Garand

Thumbcocker
02-12-2017, 08:55 PM
187897 Just an ordinary Sunday trip to the range with Mrs. Thumbcocker and some friends. She had been asking about shooting the M1 so it went along. This is the result of her first time ever shooting it. Range was 100 yards bench rested. There are several holes in the jug. Load was 311299 acww .311 (fat nose) over 34 grns. of pull down 4895. I left home with a rifle but I'm not sue I made it back with one.

Butler Ford
02-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Worth giving up! She done well! Congratulations

BF

Skunk1
02-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Nice. Can I shoot one of your guns for the first time. Promise to take care of it. I'm going to be going through the same thing with my girl.

texasnative46
02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
To All,

Fwiw, I made a REAL ERROR. = I let my adult daughter shoot my old Makarov & take it home with her. - The next week, she came over to my place & said, "Daddy, that's WAY too 'girly' a gun for a grown man to carry. - I'm keeping it for you."
(The only time that I've seen it since was in the back pocket of size 6 CHIC jeans. = So, I went out & bought a P225 Sig-Sauer.)

Those here who don't have daughters don't have a clue about how daughter's tend to "adopt Daddy's stuff".
(There is MUCH truth to the old saying that: "A son is yours till he meets his wife; a daughter is your problem for the rest of your life.")
CHUCKLE.

yours, tex

labradigger1
02-12-2017, 11:31 PM
I took the misses to the farm at my shooting range yesterday with the garand and an ammo can of surplus fmj's, tracers and ap's. I need to load more ammo now and wouldn't you know it puts a big smile on her face just like it does mine. I'm very proud of her, she took a licking and kept pulling the trigger and on target at 100 yards. Got some nice slo mo video of the tracers too.

buckwheatpaul
02-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Same thing happened to me about 35 years ago....my wife was working on becoming a L.E. officer....I told her that she could use my S & W 66 - 4" and somehow "borrow" translated into "MINE" and she had her name engraved on it as well! Not a bad thing and she was deadly with it to boot! Your M1 will still be in the family....so you won!

Calamity Jake
02-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Loaned my oldest granddaughter my 22-45 6 months ago to take a CCW course.
Haven't seen it sense, a couple week ago she said she was going to shoot up the rest
of the 22 ammo I gave her and give back the gun.
I'll b leave that when I see it.

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Years ago I made the mistake of getting a Taurus 7 shot short barreled .357 mag. and let my son shoot it (him being a LEO at the time). Next day he showed up with the purchase/transfer papers for it. I did get to see and shoot it, every now and then!Robert

RayinNH
02-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Tough break Thumb. Ask her if you can borrow her rifle when you need a fix.

shooter93
02-13-2017, 05:54 PM
It's no wonder...Garands are just plain to shoot.

Harry O
02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Many years ago, I bought a S&W Model 43, .22LR Airweight. It was a nice tight gun, but was a little "cosmetically challenged". My wife tried it and I lost it -- IMMEDIATELY. She calls it her "Fun Gun". She doesn't like my S&W K-22 because it is "too heavy". The Fun Gun was a little too light (and has a short barrel). A while back I bought a S&W Bekhart model I-frame. I knew that it when I bought it that I probably would not be able to keep it and, I didn't. She calls it her "Princess". She likes it even better than her Fun Gun, but she is not willing to give up either one.

Sur-shot
02-14-2017, 01:12 PM
The females are all like that, two days ago was talking to my son on speaker phone about him getting a new carry gun, his wife, mother of six of my grand children, pipes up, you can borrow my gun if you want a nice carry gun. Yep, it was the custom tricked out 2245 Lite I built for him about 5 years ago, she has adopted it, it is now hers. My wife likes my guns, so those are hers, daughter has to be searched when she leaves our house, etc., etc. Her daughter, my granddaughter, says stuff like grand-pa you need this? I think there is a female ownership course they all take at about 3 or 4.
Ed

Three44s
02-15-2017, 12:21 PM
My wife latched onto my Garrand while we were dating!

I kept the rifle but was instructed to not sell it!

After we got married she began eyeing other Garrands so we'd both have one .... LOL!

She also has a fettish for Rem 870's. One day a friend brought by one in 20 ga. When I got to the house, my wife said, "You did buy that shotgun didn't you?" ......... I answer, "Yes" ........ she replied, "GOOD, that one looks like it will be fun!"

Truely, it's good to have spouse with the same interests as you ....... you just have be careful about not letting go of one they really like!

Three 44s