PDA

View Full Version : PSA PA-15 Freedom Rifle - Good or not?

BNE
02-12-2017, 03:03 PM
I need your input if you are knowledgeable about AR-15s and this brand.

The wife of a buddy of mine asked for help picking out an AR-15 for his birthday. Problem is, I am not all that knowledgeable about AR-15s.

Palmetto State Armory is having a special this month that includes this rifle AND a S&W Shield in 9mm for $700.

Can you tell me the pro's and cons?

Thanks

PS
He is not a re-loader, not an avid shooter, but he is slowly getting more and more into it. I want to steer her o something that will last and is versatile enough to allow him to add and subtract from it in the future.

BNE

dragon813gt
02-12-2017, 03:34 PM
How much does the Shield retail for? I ask because you can buy a DelTon AR15 for $450. If the Shield brings the total to greater than $700 if you bought the DelTon then buy the PSA. They're both entry level no frills rifles. I have a bunch of PSA parts and have had no issue w/ them.

kayala
02-12-2017, 03:38 PM
I don't have experience with their complete rifle, but I've bought lower (blemished, where I couldn't find any blemish) and lower parts kit from them and everything fit nicely. With Shield price of about $300 I'd say it's a nice price.

dbosman
02-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Shield prices are running in the ~$300 range online.
$400 class AR rifle should be great.

wrench man
02-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Most of the "Internet Commando's" don't think much of them??, I picked one up for my "truck gun", It's ok for the price.

Moleman-
02-12-2017, 08:10 PM
We got one of the ss "freedom rifle" kits for my father in law a while back for fathers day. I was impressed with the kit and thought the quality was better than some kits I've paid more money for. No issues with the completed rifle in the past 2-3 years. Brother in law bought one of the kits and likes it as well.

BNE
02-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Guys, Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

BNE

Texas by God
02-13-2017, 01:19 AM
I don't know about the Freedom series but the two PSA uppers I have feature FN barrels and are dang accurate. And the Shield is a great pistol- I have the 9mm & the .40. I say go for it.

10-x
02-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Stopped by one of their stores in Columbia, super nice knowledgable staff and every one of their rifles and parts checked out, looked good and felt really solid. By chanck you are close go look, nothing beats holding a firearm in ones hands. Couple of friends have PSA ARs and love them.

Mackay Sagebrush
02-23-2017, 11:08 PM
They are fine for a recreational rifle, and the one I have works good.

That said, they are very built from the absolute cheapest parts PSA can source.

I use the upper I have for training/goofing off, but never for anything serious in nature.

For actual home defense, or for an LEO, I would never recommend one.

Buying cheap can very much end up costing you a LOT in the long run.

If I was only going to own one, I would buy one from a company who has been building them for the US Military for decades. In other words COLT or FABRIQUE NATIONALE.

Lonegun1894
02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
I have a couple built from kits, and they have never given me any trouble at all. They both get shot an equal amount, but one gets babied and lives in a case, the other is used as my truck gun, cleaned once a week, and then used hard again til the next weeks cleaning. My only complaint is that they aren't chrome lined, so if they ever get rebarreled, that will be remedied, but it hasn't caused any problem whatsoever yet.

For what it's worth, I have other more expensive ARs, and while you can definitely tell a difference in fit and finish (I got the "blemished" ones since I was building a couple truck guns and didn't want or need pretty), they work just fine.