PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my free solder

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Ok, I am getting ready to start casting for myself. I have been reloading for a while, but haven't done any casting yet. I found a bunch of 60/40 solder at work that has no use to our yard, and my supervisor let me take some (he shoots too, and wants some handloads).... And there is plenty more.
I googled the subject to see if it will work, and what I read was that it needs to be "diluted" with pure lead and antimony. So my question is, what ratio would you guys use? Can I cut the solder with lead cable? I might be able to get some.
I also have access to smaller 50/50 lead/tin solder sticks.

Beagle333
02-12-2017, 12:55 PM
You can use it, certainly! But it isn't the main ingredient in boolits. You'll need some lead from somewhere.

Start out by reading this:
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

and there's some lead alloy recipes at the bottom. Notice that tin isn't a very high percentage of the alloy.
But tin does sell for about $10/lb, so get all you can, because you'll need it later. You can also swap solder for lead and alloys, if you have enough of it.

Read up some on it, you're on the right track, and happy casting!!!
Chuck.

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Great, thanks for the link.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2017, 01:01 PM
welcome to the forum.
Ideally you want about 1% to 5% of tin in a boolit alloy.
Here is some good reading, for more info.
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

To more specifically answer your question, while you can use solder to cast boolits, you may not get the best results.

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 01:09 PM
OK, another question for the experts. Is lead sheathed electric cable a good source of lead? I may, from time to time, have access to lead cable being disposed of. Is this pure lead, or is it an alloy?

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
generally cable sheath lead is pure/near pure...it can have some antimony, from a fraction of a percent, up to 3%.

imashooter2
02-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Yes, cable sheath makes fine raw material. For our purposes, consider it pure lead.

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
That's great. Sounds like I am in the right profession. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this before. It wasn't until I started reading on cast boolits, and saw those solder ingots sitting on the shelf, that I had the idea that it might work.

RogerDat
02-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Solder is worth more than plain lead, or clip on wheel weights (COWW's) so once you have enough posts here to list stuff in swapping and selling and sell some to purchase other lead OR when someone is offering COWW's or lead for sale offer a trade for solder which doesn't require the waiting/post count that selling yourself.

Lot of recipes for mixing lead, tin, and antimony for bullet casting. What you are casting for in terms of caliber and velocity is a big factor in what mix of alloy is appropriate. Lower velocity revolver or pistol such as 45 ACP can tolerate much softer lead than say 30-06 or other high powered rifle rounds. Some use 5% tin 95% lead alloy for 38 special and 45 colt. Or around that percentage. 50/50 plain/COWW's + 1% to 2% tin is popular also.

Because the tin in solder is expensive, and the amount needed is small solder is a premium ingredient. Look at Rotometals (site sponsor link at top of page) and check their prices for solder, figure your person to person price is 2/3 to 1/2 of the commercial foundry pure price. COWW's and Plain lead are both sold here in swapping and selling (S&S) for around $1 a pound +/- solder is also sold so you can determine the value of your product in trade. I have traded lead for solder before, no reason you can't too.

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 01:57 PM
OK, sounds good. I have bought a few items in the S&S section already, so I will keep an eye out for some lead. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

country gent
02-12-2017, 02:40 PM
The actual mix you need will depend on a couple things. What caliber your shooting, How fast you want to shoot it and pressure levels. Popular mixes are 50-50 50% pure lead and 50% wheel weights. It may also take a little experimenting to find what your firearms like best.

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 03:07 PM
I would like to cast for .40s&w, .45acp, .308 win, and maybe 9mm, 30-30, 30.06. I don't think that casting and pc .223 is a good option. All the YT videos I see, the AR doesn't like to cycle.
I am getting a used RCBS lube-a-matic, but I want to fiddle with PC also.

308Jeff
02-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Pics like this make my mouf water!

BNE
02-12-2017, 03:28 PM
First off, welcome to the sight. The links already listed above are critical reading. It will save you many frustrating hours.

As for what to collect.... If you think it is lead, or contains lead, hold on to it! Welcome to the addiction!

jessdigs
02-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. There seems to be a lot of lead around were I work. I will start saving what I can

dbosman
02-12-2017, 03:36 PM
I would like to cast for .40s&w, .45acp, ... 9mm,

In general all those are subsonic so they don't have much of any alloy. People don't know or forget that Elmer Keith, father of the .44 magnum, did his development and hunting work using 16 parts lead to 1 part tin. No antimony. You'll need roughly, 100 lbs of pure or pure'ish lead to one of those bars of 40/60. If they weigh about 5 lbs.

For rifle bullets, pickup a 5lb bar of Rotometals (one of our sponsors) Hard Cast which is 70% lead and 30% antimony, then play with an alloy calculator to figure out what to mix with what.

There are or will be several folks willing to swap lead or range scrap ingots for a bar of your solder.

Shiloh
02-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Yep, use it as an alloy adjuster. A waste of tin otherwise.

Shiloh