PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - JBinMN

JBinMN
02-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Hiya folks!
:D

I searched around a while for an "Introductions" forum/sub-forum, and stumbled upon this one. So, I reckon here is where to start.
:-)

As you can see , my username here is JBinMN. JB is what folks actually call me, so feel free to use it instead of JBinMN to keep it simple & short. It is my initials if anyone wondered. And, I do currently live in Minnesota. I have lived in Minnesota most of my life, but when I was younger, I lived in some other states as well. So. Cal, Tenn, N.C., S.C. were back when I was in the Marine Corps., and I lived in Va. for a while to help my elderly Ma. She is gonna be 94 now, but my older Sis decided to live with her & take care of her, so I moved back to MN with my family 20 or so years ago.

I have 2 sons, one is 35 & the other will be 29 next month. I am married to a wonderful missus & have been for 37 years this year. I have a couple dogs. One is Duke, the Chocolate Lab, and the other is Jasper, the Australian Shepherd.

I am an avid outdoorsman. I love hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, woodcrafting, knives, axes, firearms, etc. and of course, Shooting. ;) I also bowhunt for deer. And I also have dallied in reloading. Which is what brought me here.
:-)

I started reloading shotgun shells back in the mid-late 70's, along with a buddy of mine ( & still is luckily) . We used an old MEC reloader then. We got most of our powder & shot from a local Herters outlet store. We mostly decided to reload because we were young lads with a passion for hunting waterfowl at the time, particularly goose, and we wanted to make our own loads + it was cheaper & we didn't have a lot of $$ to spare, after chasing chicks & gas & such. LOL ;)

After my bud went into the Army & I into the Corps in late 79/early 80 we both went our separate ways for our tours & neither one did much reloading. But after 6 years in the Corps, I returned home to MN. with my young family & started my civilian life. This is where the second stage of my reloading started. I decided to start buying more firearms than what I had already accumulated & with a young family sometimes the $$ were tight. So, since i liked to shoot/hunt/etc. I decided to get back into reloading. Around 1987-88, I went out and bought a brand new RCBS Special 3 that came along with a little basic kit IIRC, or I just bought the basics, ( loader, scale, lube pad, etc. ) along with a couple of dies. (38spec/.357 & 44mag, since I had one of each at that time.) Plus some powder/bullets, primers & such. Pretty much squared away with what I needed to have some fun reloading & plinking. I did not get any rifle stuff, or another shotgun setup back then because , like I said $$ were tight most of the time, and I only used those firearms in the Fall/Winter. So, I didn't shoot them much the rest of the time & just bought the ammo I wanted/needed.

I used that kit for about 8-10 years before I ended up moving to Va to help take care of my Ma who was ailing at the time. I was busy between work, still raising a family & taking care of her, so I just did not shoot as often, and I got away from it. Well, when my older sister decided she was going to come live with & help out my Ma, My family & I decided to return to MN. I had started my own business there back when I got out of the Corps & thought it would be best if I returned there & hooked up with the established business ties I had made before, rather than try to restart in Va. So, we moved back.

Once I returned to MN, my business took off & I was busy a lot. I had to drive long distance & working long hours/6-7 days a week most of the time, to do a lot of the construction projects & I was making good money & didn't feel as though I had the time to spend reloading with everything else & so I did not reload. I just bought ammo when I needed or wanted some. Besides.... The boxes with my reloading stuff, along with powder & primers were forgotten in Ma's garage when I moved. So they had been sitting there for at least 6-8 years before I even took the time to look around one day after wondering where the stuff went. Anyway, my oldest just happened to be on a trip to Ga., to visit his missus family there around that time & was returning via Va. to stop & see his Grandma. So I asked him to deal with the powder/primers there, & bring the rest of the stuff back. So, I got the stuff & put it in the basement (I call it the "Dungeon", as a joke) for the next time I wanted to set it up & get to work making rounds. So, those boxes sat there for a few more years while I kept at other things..

Well, as most of ya know the economy tanked in the late 2000's & my income dropped drastically with it. Never fully recovered as a matter of fact. The years of hard work (& hard play I might add), had also taken its' toll on the old body. So, I slowed down , and had less work & less $$ coming in also as a result. Well, now I am half crippled up & have COPD pretty bad & don't get around as well as I used to. I can only do work once in a while. So, I recently decided to take up reloading again. Save some $$ & get back into it. ( And things have sure gone up in price too, since then.. Whoah!)

So, basically after all that , I have had a hiatus of about 20 years or so of being away from reloading & I am now getting back into it. I decided to not only get some more stuff to reload other firearms I have accumulated I decided to start casting "boolits" too. Now since I have casted fishing jigs & sinkers for years, I have a small bit of experience with that part of casting lead & using WW, but I know I have a lot more to learn when it comes to casting for reloading. ( I am a voracious reader when I don't have anyone with experience nearby to ask ?? & I learn quick, so I have picked up on a bit of stuff here & other places to get back up to speed as best I can. This forum is one of them. ;) )

And that is why I am here. To learn. I may be able to share personal experiences on shooting/firearms/etc, and a lot of other outdoors stuff, but I am most likely just going to read. Lucky you folks, since you can see I can get a bit long winded at times. LOL :D

Anyway, If ya read this far, then Thanks!, since I won't have wasted my time typing this lil "autobiography" out for nothing.

& If ya skipped down to the bottom... Don't worry. Not knowing what is up there ^ above this wont kill ya.

Hope this adventure here is as enjoyable as I hope it is & Nice to meet ya!
:D

JB

M-Tecs
02-11-2017, 01:41 PM
JB welcome!!!!!!!

country gent
02-11-2017, 02:46 PM
JB welcome to the forum. Do what you can and have fun. You can do what you did before just not always the same way.

308Jeff
02-11-2017, 02:48 PM
Howdy!

jim 44-40
02-11-2017, 05:46 PM
I was sitting here watching dead or alive with Steve McQueen, show is over. Reading your post now. It will be hard to get casting out of your blood once you get started. This forum is great that's for sure

Preacher Jim
02-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum great place and great source of knowledge. Don't forget to check out the chat room and get to know those guys.

Traffer
02-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the forum JB. Plenty to read here. Lots of stuff that gets very specific. If you are loading for handguns. After a while being here you will probably want to try powder coating or something similar. Lot of folks on the cutting edge here.

GhostHawk
02-11-2017, 10:11 PM
What part of Minnesota you in JB?

Born and raised near Ada which is not far from Moorhead. Living now on the Fargo side of the river.

Like you I have roamed around a lot but always kept coming home.

Good outfit here, good people, and if you put your mind to it a year or two of reading here is in my opinion about the same as a masters degree in casting/reloading. All depends on how much you want to learn and how hard you want to work at it.

Iron Whittler
02-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Welcome JB. First, let me say Thank you for your military service!!! As for the forum, you will find a friendly and helpful bunch of people with an occasional grouch thrown in. Got questions, need help with something, just ask and usually someone has the answer or can tell you where to look. Enjoy your loading and shooting while your health permits. Best whishes to you and yours. Dennis AKA Iron Whittler:Fire::castmine::swagemine:

daniel lawecki
02-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Welcome

OS OK
02-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Well Marine, looks like you stumbled into the right hut...you've found a great Brotherhood here, knowledgeable and willing to help...
kick your boots off, grab a cold one and..."welcome''.

Semper Fi...charlie

badge176
02-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Welcome from the NW metro! I've been seldom disappointed by the fellowship, sharing, and modesty of almost all on this board- few get banned, those that do earned it and I'd wager many more 'Skunks' just steer clear...

JBinMN
02-13-2017, 05:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm, Welcome! I appreciate it!
:)

To answer a couple question I saw posted... GhostHawk & Badge176

I live about 30 miles or so, South of the TC in Goodhue county. It was nice to see some folks from MN post to me so quickly. THanks!

To my fellow military folks of any service, Thanks to all of you for "your" service,
and for OS OK, Semper Fi!" to you to! ;)

It is great that each of ya took the time to make a personal comment to me & once again, Thanks!

Casting & lubing tomorrow, reloading later in the week. Going to use some of my old stuff I still had & make some new stuff to try.

Now, I am off to learn more. Lots to read.
;)

{ I think I may be overusing the "smileys", but I "am" happy.
LOL }

rundownbear
02-13-2017, 02:02 PM
JB, welcome!

I am not far from you in the SW corner of MN. Right off I-90 so if you are ever headed west stop on by.

John Browning

badge176
02-14-2017, 12:12 AM
If you ever want to trade cast bullets (from any my MANY molds- it's Not an addiction, I could quit any time, I just don't want to), brass, or are looking for 'stuff' from the cities without the stupid HazMat fees (no idea how far for you to nearest stocking source of powder or primers), then give a shout. I'm often up for a road trip and get down that way (S on 35 and 52) before and of course during Deer season...

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-14-2017, 10:58 AM
JB,
welcome to the forum.
and a hearty thanks for your service.
Years ago, I started loading because of 44 mag...and 7 years ago, 44 mag was part of the reason I started casting. I have recently switched to 41 mag...and I do cast for 38/357. I look forward to swappin stories with you.
Jon

Loudy13
02-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Welcome, I am in central MN nice to see all the minnesoteans give a warm welcome.

JBinMN
02-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Thanks folks! Very nice to see a Mn group of folks here also! Eventually I hope to get to meet up with those of ya that I can. I think that would be kind of cool. :)

I have been reading mostly about casting, bullet/boolit lubes & related things for the last few days.

I have purchased a few molds & other things necessary to cast boolits. I already had the Lee furnace from my jig & sinker casting, plus I have 2 of the electric ladles( one in a box/Never used IIRC) & a C.Iron one around here too. So, I am not only casting "boolits", jigs & sinkers, with WW & the lead I have gathered together, but have started to make "torpedo/strap ingots" too. (< I call them that because of the shape I form them in to fit into the Lee furnace later.) Also for making different type alloys to experiment with.

I actually went out and casted about 200 boolits from a Lee 356-125-RN 6pack mold Tuesday. I cast them & water cooled them in 2-1/2 gal bucket with an old t shirt as a "slow down catch" to keep them from hitting the bottom of the bucket hard & to make them easier to get back up out of the water. I then took a Micrometer to a few & they cast out at .358 one way & as I rotated the bullet I was getting up to .362. I thought it being a .356 mold I wouldn't be getting that size or close to it & the molds look fine, so I am not sure of the cause for the out of round conditions. I decided then to order two Lee sizers in .357 & .358 to get them back in shape for loading. They will be in on Thursday(Tomorrow). I also have a couple more molds & a few for the 30-06 in the wishlist. A 358-158-RF 6pack and a 356-102-1R double, are the ones on hand, with a 309-150-F and a couple more in the wishlist. I may also get a mold for the Sturm Ruger S.R.44mag I have here, but I want to talk to my oldest son about that first, since it has now been passed to him & it will be his choice about using bullets I make, or buy /make himself. ;)

Anyway, that's what I have been doing. Gonna cast up some more tomorrow I am thinking, with the double mold I have, and then do some lubing while I wait for the sizers. I am gonna make up some of that 45/45/10 stuff that a fella here named Recluse thought up & am also gonna try a 50/50 mix of the JPW/ALOX to see how that works too. Might try the straight Alox lightened up with some MS also, but not sure yet. Gonna do the double lube of lube/size/lub/load.

{Not gonna dip them or coat them after, even though I have & used the powder stuff for making my fishing jigs over the years. Not yet at least. I am a bit skeptical yet & want to read & think on that some more. Seems kind of a hokey deal to me in a way... I don't know.. I am a bit of a "dinosaur" about some things. I like my bullets to look like bullets & not candy. LOL I hope no one gets all up in arms at me for saying that, but I did say I am an old school "black boot" Marine Corps vet & we ain't much on "pretty" when it comes to much else but "chicks".... LOL :D }

Well...Thanks again for the warm welcome!! I am looking forward to being around & learning more. Perhaps I will eventually post up in other topics, but right now I am gonna just read.

Ya'll Take care!
JB

(Badge176, That is a nice offer about the bullet swap, I am interested in hearing more about the molds you have for bullets & what sizes they are. I don't know if the bullets I am making are the type you might be interested in, but I made sure to put the mold sizes in this post for ya, along with the others, so ya know what I have here for molds. About the powders/primers, I have a local source, but too expensive, so I have to travel to other towns to get things, or just go thru Midway. That would be another thing that would be interesting to me. Thanks)

NyFirefighter357
02-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Welcome JB, I've been here less than a year but have learned so much. This forum has vast experience and knowledge. I'm glad you like reading, I have and suggest to you read every sticky and post on forum. Since no one else said it, your first purchase should be a Lyman cast bullet handbook. I have the latest edition #4. You may know or have read it is getting harder to find lead around the country & what you find is getting more and more expensive to purchase. You may have a bunch already for your fishing jigs but you may find you can never have enough. Most guys here have well over 1,000lb+ on hand. Thanks for your service, good luck casting & come visit the chat room. Jason

BNE
02-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the addiction. The good people here will help you make better Bullets and be a better shooter.

I had to laugh at your original post. I've been on here for a couple of years and have not shared as much info about myself! I feel like I know you now.

Glad you joined this group. AND thank you for your service to our country.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2017, 12:11 PM
SNIP...

I actually went out and casted about 200 boolits from a Lee 356-125-RN 6pack mold Tuesday. I cast them & water cooled them in 2-1/2 gal bucket with an old t shirt as a "slow down catch" to keep them from hitting the bottom of the bucket hard & to make them easier to get back up out of the water. I then took a Micrometer to a few & they cast out at .358 one way & as I rotated the bullet I was getting up to .362. I thought it being a .356 mold I wouldn't be getting that size or close to it & the molds look fine, so I am not sure of the cause for the out of round conditions.
JB,
If this is your first time casting with a Lee 6 cav mold, I'm gonna guess you may be "gripping" the Sprue plate handle against the other handles. The Sprue plate handle/lever has a cam, if you apply pressure, so the cam is pushing against the mold, that may open the blocks a tiny bit, and give you oblong boolits about the size you are describing.

Most of the time, a Lee 356 mold will make a boolit .001 or .002 larger...So you .358 size is about correct, but the other dimension shouldn't be .362 If it is, and you are gripping the Lee mold correctly, then I'd consider returning that mold to the vendor, becuase, Ideally, you don't want to size them down more than .002 or .003 at the most...and since you water-dropped them, sizing a .362 oblong boolit down to .358 will be a chore.
Jon

xs11jack
02-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Welcome JB, this a really great place to learn from the masters and meet a lot of nice people. This is a great place to spend a quiet evening with the information and a good cup of coffee.
Ole Jack

MaryB
02-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Welcome JB I am over in the SW part of the state west of Redwood Falls.

JBinMN
02-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Thanks to you all again! Making me feel very welcome & I appreciate it!

I am going to do a bit more casting today & use the other molds, plus check the one I used before like JonB in Glencoe mentioned in his post above. If it turns out to be the mold, I will be sending it back, but I want to check the other first so I can see if I got not only one possible bad one, but maybe another. Save me some postage. ;)

I rec'd the 2 sizers I ordered & the other .356 is still backordered from MidwayUSA, so I will wait another week before I go looking elsewhere for one. But, I am going to use those sizers a few times to see if I can get the boolits down to a better size. Being watercooled & waiting a little while might made it fruitless due to hardening & their shape taking the grooves out, but I will try. Otherwise I may just put them back int the melting pot and start over. I don't mind if I have to. I am not out anything but a lil time. I hope it is not the mold, and was just a technique issue, because I don't like to have to return things. I use molds for the fishing stuff, but they are a bit different , so I have a technique, but it might have to be modified to work with this type. I will run some air cooled to check their shape & then water cool some, before I make a decision.

Thanks once again for the Welcomes!
JB

blackthorn
02-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Welcome from BC Canada! Before you throw those bullets back in to melt, you might want to try oven heat treating them and size them shortly after they are quenched. Heating them back up and quenching will make them return to close to the same as water dropping from the mould.

koehn,jim
02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

KCSO
02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Howdy from an ex Park Rapids fellow.

JBinMN
02-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks again for the Welcomes!

In case some missed it, I have reloaded before, just not casted until now. I am learning fast & reading a lot. I do have a Speer manual#11 from when I used to reload in the 1980's, & have purchased the Lyman #50 recently to catch up on things.I have downloaded & have been reading many references from online including the Lymans Cast Bullet Manual #4. I appreciate folks pointing out references , so I can go look at them if I have not yet done so. So , thanks for that too!

Just today I cast some boollits using the 358 - 158 - SWC mold & so far I have some that are ranging from .358 at the seam to .364 at 90 degrees. Others are much closer. I made sure to check out the mold for issues & how I held it most of the time, but I was interrupted for a little while when casting, by a friend who came into town from 200 miles away ( My friend Clayt, the one I mentioned in my first post who I reloaded with in the 1970s), so I may have inadvertently caused a few bad ones by note being as vigilant in my casting the OOR ones. I will cast again in a couple of days with all 3 molds before I do anything like returning them.

BTW, Clayt runs a Tire shop & auto repair in Ashland, Wisc. and is my supplier of lead WW & occasionally he runs into plain lead. He also guides for fish on Lake Superior & makes his own sinkers & jigs also. But he is very willing to share the lead stuff with me at no charge. It is nice to have a great friend for 40+ years. He hinted that some of the stuff will return to him, in the form of boollits most likely so he doesn't mind parting with his stash of lead. LOL :)

As far as putting them into the oven as Blackthorn suggested, rather than returning the OOR ones to the pot, I think that once I have tried the lube & sizer on them, I do not want to risk the wrath of the missus by putting them into our oven. Particularly in the Winter with the windows shut. I will remember & save that method for another time if I continue to have issues. Thanks for sharing that option though. It is much appreciated.

I am going to tumble lube most of these bullets with 45/45/10 this afternoon and likely size them tomorrow or Monday to see what happens.Then I will likely put them aside to age a bit while I cast more. And make my decision on what to do about the OOR situation then. I will just reload some of the old stuff I had stored up from long ago to shoot & I have some cartridges that I need to shoot for the brass anyway, as I don't have enough brass currently any how to actually make it worth the while to load anything right now with the cast stuff.

Thanks again for the Welcomes & hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
JB

(P.S. - Is there a place where folks kind of keep a diary of their doings with casting & reloading in this forum somewhere? I have looked a bit , but not yet run across anything. I thought it might be nice to have something like that to share what someones ideas as they advance along, or to share their daily doings when it comes to their casting & reloading. I may have missed it in my searching around, but I thought to ask here while it was on my mind. If I find where it is if it is around here. I will try to return & edit this post. Thanks to any who answer this! :) )

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2017, 05:19 PM
(P.S. - Is there a place where folks kind of keep a diary of their doings with casting & reloading in this forum somewhere? I have looked a bit , but not yet run across anything. I thought it might be nice to have something like that to share what someones ideas as they advance along, or to share their daily doings when it comes to their casting & reloading. I may have missed it in my searching around, but I thought to ask here while it was on my mind. If I find where it is if it is around here. I will try to return & edit this post. Thanks to any who answer this! :smile: )
There is this sticky thread, that many use to post about what they are doing today.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?261500-What-did-you-do-in-the-reloading-room-today&highlight=

But, I would recommend starting your own thread, you'll get more interaction that way.
When I start a project, I will start a thread that documents it, like the link below.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?248671-Heat-treat&highlight=

I chose that link, as someone suggested to you, to use an oven to heat treat. Most of us that do, use a dedicated toaster oven, they can be had at a thrift store for $5 or so, once you use it for lead, it's probably best not to use it for food anymore.

JBinMN
02-19-2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks JonB!

We do have a toaster oven around here. Never thought of that. We don't use it often, so I am going to talk to the missus about using it for heat treating.

Thanks for the links. I will certainly check them out.

JB

bedbugbilly
02-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Welcome JB! Lot's of great folks here . . . glad you joined all of us!

lightman
02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Well JB, Thanks for your service and Welcome Aboard. We like pictures so consider posting up a few when you cast or smelt. Also feel free to ask questions or share your knowledge. Enjoy the ride!

JBinMN
02-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the Welcomes once again!

I have been pretty busy reading here & trying to find answers to my questions.
I Usually find them , but there is so much here to go through it can be a daunting task. I have been using google with a "site:" parameter & http://castboolits.gunloads.com, to narrow it down to this site & then add in the search words. Even with that, it can get a bit complicated to try find the answers I a seeking.
I am avoiding posting any topic with any questions, until I work hard at trying to find the answer through searching first.
I can get pretty frustrating, but i just go away for a while & then try again. It has worked so far but I have been tempted to try to ask the questions directly to speed things up.

Anyway, Thanks to you folks for the warm welcomes & eventually I will try to post something worth reading other than these little updates as I go along here.... Maybe a diary of my doings & discoveries as I start doing more than I have already posted here in this topic. Maybe that will help the next person in searching for their answers.

Ya'll take it easy!
;)

JB