PDA

View Full Version : Venison loin

44man
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
OK, guys I am thawing a whole loin from a young doe. What is you favorite recipe for one?
I have one that is seared on the grill and basted with a mixture of butter, soy sauce and brown sugar.
The wife did not like blue cheese stuffed ones. She said too much cheese but I thought another 10# would have been nice, I love the stuff! [smilie=1:
Open to all suggestions.

Junior1942
07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I love blue cheese, too, but on salads, not venison.

Uncle R.
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
I like to take a whole (aged) venison loin and coil it into a tight circle on a big sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. I put on a little garlic salt, some chopped onion, and lay a few strips of raw bacon over the top. Then I carefully fold the foil and seal it with tightly rolled joints to enclose the whole works. I cut a little slit in the top of the foil and insert a small meat thermometer right into the center of the biggest part of the loin. With a ring of briquettes around the outer perimeter of the Weber grill I set the foil pack in the center - for indirect heat. Put the cover on the Weber, set the vents half open on the top and wide open on the bottom. Savor the aroma while you down a cold one. (Or two!)
After about twenty minutes or so start checking that meat thermometer frequently. When it says 140 degrees - pull the package off the fire and call in one or two people that you REALLY like...
YMMV - I don't know how accurate my thermometer is but I know that the temperature that you cook to is critical. I like 'em a little pink in the middle but not bloody, and that's 140 F on MY thermometer...
If you let it cook too long it'll get dry and tough.
Uncle R.

44man
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
That sounds good. I might split it in two pieces and make one each way.

07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Broiled with a little garlic salt and Italian salad dressing. (not the creamy kind) UncleR is right. Don't overcook. Good and red in the middle for me. Serve with a traditional baked potato, corn on the cob, spinich, brussel sprouts, oh baby! Back in NY we did a thing with new potatos. Find the tinest potatos you can find and boil them up in a heavy salt brine, whole, with the skins on. Once throughly cooked, set them in a dry bowl and serve with a small dish of melted butter for every setting. Just dip a potato in the butter and eat like popcorn. A good merlot and / or cold beer and you're on your way.

357maximum
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
mmmm loin ...hard to beat it butterflied and then dipped in egg and rolled in crushed cracker crumbs,,,,,then fry it in a skillet of lard till it just starts to bleed out the top...turn over and wait about 2 minutes....pull it out of de' pan and lay on paper towel for a minute. Serve with fresh steamed asparugus and butter fried flour breaded morels...............mmmmmmmmmmmmm...mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm

44man
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Makes my mouth water. Good thing I have more loins stashed in the freezer.
Morels are getting hard to find here but I still have some dried ones. Last spring sucked big time. It has not been good for 3 or 4 years in fact.

fourarmed
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
44Man, here is one I posted a year or two ago. It is right at the top of our list, and we eat a LOT of deer meat.

Blackened Venison

Venison loin chops or round steak
Butter (a quarter-stick at minimum)
Blackening spice (3 parts paprika, 1 part each onion powder,
garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, cumin, thyme)

Preheat oven to 180. Put a heavy iron skillet or griddle on a propane burner (OUTDOORS! THIS SMOKES!) and turn the fire all they way up. Melt the butter on a platter in the micro-wave, and dredge the chops in it. Shake seasoning on one side of 2 or 3 chops and throw them in the skillet after its surface has gotten hot enough to turn from black to gray. After 30 seconds to a minute (depending on chop thickness) season the top sides and turn. Give them the same on that side, and return them to the platter. Continue until all have been blackened, then rest them in the oven for about a half hour. They will be pink and juicy on the inside and the remaining butter on the platter will combine with the meat juices to produce the greatest stuff you ever dipped bread into.

44man
07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Ouch, my mouth hurts. I printed that one up right away. Thank you.

Thumbcocker
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Slice and butterfly. Spinkle with meat tenderizer. Put pureed garlic on each side with coarse ground black pepper. Put bacon on each side held on with skewers or tooth picks. Grill over charcoal until bacon is cooked but not crunchy. If you put a pience on top of your head your tounge will slap you silly trying to get to it.

MT Gianni
07-03-2008, 08:59 PM
For really simple slice 1/8" thin, fry in butter until just brown, flip until barely brown, then add another slice. Make a gravy out of the drippings/butter and you have the best open face sandwich on the planet. Gianni

C1PNR
07-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Broiled with a little garlic salt and Italian salad dressing. (not the creamy kind) UncleR is right. Don't overcook. Good and red in the middle for me. Serve with a traditional baked potato, corn on the cob, spinach, Brussels sprouts, oh baby! Back in NY we did a thing with new potatoes. Find the tiniest potatoes you can find and boil them up in a heavy salt brine, whole, with the skins on. Once throughly cooked, set them in a dry bowl and serve with a small dish of melted butter for every setting. Just dip a potato in the butter and eat like popcorn. A good Merlot and / or cold beer and you're on your way.
That sounds to me like "Salt Potatoes.":-D

When I was in Watertown, NY, you could buy a 5 lb package with 4 lb of tiny new potatoes and 1 lb of salt. Combine all in enough boiling water to cover the potatoes, boil until potatoes are done as you like them, and you were set!

My wife and I still do that once in a while here in Idaho. People do look at me kind of funny when I talk about them, but the taste reminds me of some great friends and fine times had while building Fort Drum, back in the time BC.:drinks:

44man
08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
We grow some potatos and the tiny ones are, without a doubt, the very best.
I only keep young deer or doe meat so my loin wasn't that big. I used the butter, brown sugar and soy sauce baste. It was fantastic.
I give away buck meat! [smilie=1: I have no wild flavor or toughness to contend with so simple works better.
I get from 5 to 7 deer a season so I only keep choice meat.
I have to try all of your recipes, so mouth watering! :drinks:
I just started a batch of all grain Belgian ale. Next loin will be when the beer is done. :mrgreen:

Bad Water Bill
08-06-2008, 11:16 PM
:drinks:Let me know when it is done and I will be right over:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2008, 08:08 AM
hell id probably drive down state just to eat your morels!!!
mmmm loin ...hard to beat it butterflied and then dipped in egg and rolled in crushed cracker crumbs,,,,,then fry it in a skillet of lard till it just starts to bleed out the top...turn over and wait about 2 minutes....pull it out of de' pan and lay on paper towel for a minute. Serve with fresh steamed asparugus and butter fried flour breaded morels...............mmmmmmmmmmmmm...mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2008, 09:08 AM
What i do with most of my loins is butterfly them and chicken fry em. Chicken fried steak and fried corn bread is one of those things you southern boys do right!! That and grits with bacon grease poured on them!!