PDA

View Full Version : sort wheel weights

krazypetman
02-10-2017, 09:07 AM
normally I sort my wheel weights thought about just throw all on burner and scrap off top as long as I keep it around 650 degrees whats everyone thoughts

BK7saum
02-10-2017, 10:19 AM
I sort mine.

If you started with melted alloy in the pot at 650 degrees, and slowly added wheel weights so that they were lightly submerged, I think you would do just fine.

However, If you start with an empty cold pot, pile the wheelweights in there, turn up the fire and try to hit and maintain 650 degrees, you are likely to melt zinc weights on the bottom of the pot before you realize it.

I'm still going to sort mine. I think I can sort a 5 gallon bucket in 15-20 minutes, maybe a bit longer. However, I usually melt/smelt several hundred pounds at a time. I usually end up finding a zinc wheelweight or two. I start off with small amounts of weights or a little leftover alloy in the pot. after the alloy is liquid or slushly, (I let the pot cool slightly and the lead solidify ***avoid tinsel fairy***), then I dump 1/2 to 2/3 of a five gallon bucket of sorted weights in the pot. Let them melt and then clean out the clips before adding more weights. Once I have a full pot, 300-400 lbs, then its time to pour ingots.

rancher1913
02-10-2017, 10:39 AM
I have been getting lazy and sort the big ones, once they are melted I add the smaller unsorted ones. I can control the melt temp this way and it really speeds up getting the job done. you must be very very careful doing it this way as any wetness will cause a tinsel fairy visit. if I was selling I would sort 100%

lightman
02-10-2017, 11:45 AM
I'm like BK7, I sort all of mine. I smelt in batches of 350-400# and you can't control the heat on the bottom of a pot that size. Even with knowing that a few zinc weights won't ruin a whole batch of lead, I try to avoid any zinc. I also avoid adding anything to a pot full of melted lead. I have turned the heat down until it starts to harden and dumped another batch on top. But never to melted lead!

Sorting is a PITA, no doubt about it. But once you do it for a while it goes faster. You get a feel for the zinc weights, and you really don't have to worry about the steel weights. They are so unique looking that they really stand out, and you are not going to melt one of them anyway.

mdi
02-10-2017, 01:57 PM
If your method is working for you, keep it up. Once you get used to handling/sorting wheel weights, you can dump a bunch out on the ground and easily see the zinc or steel weights. One thing I would caution new casters about is when adding weights to the pot of melted lead, make sure they are dry. Any moisture that gets under the surface of the melt will immediately turn to steam and the pot will erupt. BTDT...

Hardcast416taylor
02-11-2017, 05:46 AM
I also hand sort using a pair of 10" end nippers to check questionable weights. At present I have 5 full to the top 5 gal. pails of sorted weights with only 1 pail of unsorted weights left. For what I actually shoot anymore and the 500+ lbs. of ingots already I doubt I`ll be collecting any further weights.Robert

Cold Trigger Finger
02-12-2017, 12:27 AM
. Wow, thats alot of weight. I havent started casting yet. So I will be starting from ground zero. I am trying to find a tire shop that doesnt already give away their used wheel weights.
How can I tell the difference between zinc and lead weights ?
Thanks.
Glen.

Beagle333
02-12-2017, 01:03 AM
I can sort most by eye. The rest, I keep the set of sidecutters handy. I only have about 120# of raw coww left and I'm swearing it off. It's much easier for me to just buy ingots, since the local tire stores are all under contract by recyclers.

Cold Trigger Finger
02-12-2017, 01:50 AM
So , with the side cutters, how do they help determining whether a ww is lead or zinc ?
Thanks.

Rally
02-12-2017, 02:29 AM
The lead weights are easily cut by the cutters and the steel and zinc are nearly impossible to cut. A visual inspection of the face of the weight normally the zinc weights are marked with a Zn. If in doubt try the cutters on them. This has proven to be the best method for me. Of late the weights are running at least 35% zinc and steel. I got 150 lbs out of Canada this last summer that was over 50% zinc and steel so be careful when you first learn to sort.

Cold Trigger Finger
02-12-2017, 03:31 AM
Wonderful, thank you . I honestly did not know.
I used to think wheel weights were like free bullets . Then a guy told me about zinc weights . I had no idea how to tell lead from zinc so I kinda shined on bullet casting . Now, it makes sense.

oldskeetshooter
02-12-2017, 09:41 AM
I'm retired from fixin' Toyotas and the guys still save weights for me. I end up with 12 to 20, 5 gallon buckets every 3 months. Sorting is the worst part. After sorting, for a while, the zinc and iron composite, weights are easily recognized. I recently sorted, 12, 5 gallon buckets. I ended up with 6 buckets of stick on, 5 buckets of clip on and 1 bucket of zinc/pot metal, iron and some sort of plastic composite weights. At one time I mixed the stick on and the clip on but hardness varies from pot to pot, so now I keep them separate.

There is a company in the U.K. making Tin alloy weights. I sure would like to get some of these and find out what the "Alloy" part is.

44man
02-12-2017, 11:15 AM
I don't sort clip on weights but remove all SO's. They are all different and not all pure. Worst of the worst.
Keep the pot at 600° and skim all that does not melt, clips and weights. Don't flux until you remove junk. If weights float, DO NOT TURN UP HEAT or flux. I alloy in pure antimony at 600° with flux. Zinc and aluminum and junk will alloy with flux.
The SO's with tape and break points are pure lead, others are zinc, never mix them.
To sit and check every weight with cutters is insane. Use an axe to cut a boolit from each. Scoop a handful of CO's into the pot and remove any that float.

oldskeetshooter
02-12-2017, 11:17 AM
zinc type

steel type

lead type

awz

awst

awn

mcz

mcst

mcn

lhz

lhst

lh

iawz

iawst

iaw

enz

enst

en

fnz

fnst

fn

tz

tst

tn

Here is a chart from Perfect Equipment with identification stamps. Their weights are very popular with tire stores, dealership, etc,

Maybe this will help with visual identification.

Beagle333
02-12-2017, 11:23 AM
So , with the side cutters, how do they help determining whether a ww is lead or zinc ?
Thanks.

Sidecutters (or just wire snips) will easily bite into lead weights. In fact, if you grip too hard, you'll snip it in half. You can't do that with zinc, you can barely even make a scratch if you use both hands.

Cold Trigger Finger
02-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone! Very Much. If I can find a shop that has wws I'll get all I can.

Walstr
02-13-2017, 03:43 AM
I've also refined my approach to having a small, 1/2" or so, "melt" in the bottom first, then dump slowly, picking out the valve stems, etc. I patiently pick out most of the SOWW, but the amount of SOWW melted in my batches is too small to be concerned about softening my "alloy". The Zinc weights have not melted on me yet, as I heat slowly at first, then raise the flame on my turbo burner later.