PDA

View Full Version : Solder Question

copdills
07-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Hello Pards:

I went to the local Lowes store today to pick up a Little Solder to put in my mix, and yes I am new to this and LOL no one at the store knew anything about solder except where it was stored on the shelve, but all I could find that I thought might be the right kind stated on the package it was lead free, it has tin,copper and something else , I could not find 50/50 or 60/40 or 95/5 , so where do you find the solder we need to add to WW mix ( still looking have not melted the first ingot yet)

Thanks copdills:roll:

Typecaster
07-01-2008, 12:08 PM
You had the right—although expensive—stuff. It was probably packaged by Oatey, and in the plumbing department. It's 95-5, the 5 being the copper, etc., 95% tin.

Seems to me that a chunk 2 feet long weighs about 1.25 ounces (I have it written on the wall of my shop, but I'm not there). My "system" is to use 1-lb ingots (Lyman or SAECO)—start the pot with 12 ingots (assuming 12#) and add 4 ft of 95-5 to sweeten it by about 1% tin. When the pot gets down halfway, I recharge it with 4# WWs, 1# soft, 1# Linotype, and 2 ft of 95-5…and the sprues.

carpetman
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
copdills--I cast using wheelweights for over 30 years and then was told by very many I needed to add tin to the mix to get good fill out---especially in the smaller .22 cals which I was casting. So I bought solder. I cant tell a bit of difference. Save your money---add more wheeelweights to your wheelweights.

Cherokee
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Different experiences - I like to add a little tin and I have seen a difference in the casting. Typecaster nailed it for you Oatey 95-5. 1% usually all ya need, 2% max.
YMMV

JIMinPHX
07-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I've been using 6" of lead free solder to a pound of WW with good results. My mix may be a little on the "rich" side.

fireflyfather
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Um, the 95/5 solder that most of us want is the 95% tin, 5% antimony solder. Copper can potentially foul bottom pour pots.

Home Depot and Lowe's are usually not the best places to get solder. I get mine from dixieline lumberyard.

I add 1-2" of solder per pound of WW alloy. Works fine for me.

copdills
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all your help , letting me know how much per pound would have been my next question LOL so you were already a step ahead of me, I'll be asking alot more questions as I go but so far I am having a great time collecting the parts and learning about boolit casting from my friends here on cast boolit forum

Thanks copdills:Fire:

docone31
07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I found with the 95/5, a little dab will do ya. With wheel weights, I just add a touch. The first time I added about 4" but I found that was uneccessary. I add at most, 2" to 20lbs. Good fillout, clean castings, sharp corners.
A little dab will do ya.

runfiverun
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
i use tin to form an SbSn chain within the Pb.
it really depends on what you wanna do with it.
if you are c-boy shooting bhn of 8 or even much less will do it.
if you are pushing the same bullet at bhn 12 to 1600 your composition matters.
the way ray does it is a good way to do it though,
especially if you can follow his nearly patented formula of mixing ww's..

wiljen
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I buy my 95/5 solder from Ferguson Enterprises. It is a plumbing supply chain that carries Taracorp's stuff under the dutch boy banner.

targetshootr
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't use it but it's hard to imagine how 2" would affect 20 lbs. Or even 4".

docone31
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I find wheel weights cast prett well by themselves. The little tin does make a difference though. I can see it when I am casting.
If I run the mix down and just add wheel weight ingots, I do get more wrinkles sometimes. The addition of a little tin changes that.
When I first started I used way too much tin. I paper patch for my .30 cal, so the hardness I considered an asset.
Literally, I can cast without tin with wheel weights and get good castings. Throw in just a touch of tin and they get smoother.

RustyFN
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
You can buy 95/5 solder that is 95% tin and 5% antimony at Grainger. That's where I bought mine.
Rusty

dwtim
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Home Depot and Lowe's are usually not the best places to get solder. I get mine from dixieline lumberyard.

I second this. Try the smaller guys, whether they sell general hardware or plumbing only. I ended up finding what I needed at a place that is only a few minutes from home. I bought 50/50 at a price that was pretty close to market rates per pound at the time.

The big boys are more interested in selling you a Chinese refrigerator; they think their customers aren't smart enough to be trusted to choose an appropriate solder for anything other than water pipes.

copdills
07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks Guys, I believe I will check out the local hardware

Thanks alot copdills