PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Little Cleaning Problem Solved. Duh!

NVcurmudgeon
11-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Probably most of you have long ago figured this out. If so, why didn't you tell me? For well over half a century I have believed the conventional wisdom advice, "don't dip dirty brushes into your solvent bottle." Oh, the guilt I have borne for having discolored solvent! Now there rests in the cleaning drawer, a lid from a jar of mincemeat. I simply pour a little solvent over the brush and catch it in the lid. When through with the brush, I dip my patches into the lid and soak up the clean solvent. Brothers, I have seen the light, and it shines through the pristine solvent in my bottle!

Buckshot
11-10-2005, 02:52 AM
...............Hmmmm. I just dunk the brush in the bottle. Dark solvent, but still seems to work! Still smells like Hoppe's :D

............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
11-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Like Buckshot, I dip the brush in the bottle too. This means the small 4 oz critter, not the pint or quart storage bottle that the little one gets re-filled from every so often. A pretty good layer of bore crud seems to settle to the bottom of the bottle, and sits there nicely unless stirred up.

On a side note, there is nothing like Hoppe's to drive annoying daughters needing brake jobs on their cars from the garage/reloading domain. Marie doesn't mind Hoppe's, so I need to resort to Sweet's 7.62 or Barnes' CR-10 to run her off--WHAT THE HELL, YOU CLEANING GUNS OR WINDOWS OUT HERE?! PHEW!!

floodgate
11-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Al:

"On a side note, there is nothing like Hoppe's to drive annoying daughters needing brake jobs on their cars from the garage/reloading domain. Marie doesn't mind Hoppe's, so I need to resort to Sweet's 7.62 or Barnes' CR-10 to run her off--WHAT THE HELL, YOU CLEANING GUNS OR WINDOWS OUT HERE?! PHEW!!

If that doesn't do it, try Ballistol. YECCCHHHH! Even drives ME out of the shop. Ever use any of the old "Stoegerol"? It was supposed to be good for all sorts of gun stuff, plus warts, hives and eczema; it stank too. Compared to these, Hoppe's is pure perfume. Gotta go out and sharpen some pruners and loppers for a neighbor, for her Xmas wreath factory. Reward is a trip to Uke for a gunshow Saturday.

floodgate

fiberoptik
11-11-2005, 12:06 AM
I don't have any problems, as I can't smell anything since I was in a Karate tournament in Okinawa back in '84. You should see the other guy.... [smilie=f: [smilie=f: [smilie=f:

StarMetal
11-11-2005, 12:12 AM
fiberoptik

Boy, that had to have an impact on your sex life!!!!!!

Joe

C1PNR
11-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I started using the top from a Shooters Choice bottle, you know, the one with the twist open, twist close, spout. I put that top on the bottle of Hoppes and went from there.

I know, the top doesn't fit real well, but I finally emptyed the Shooters Choice bottle, too, and now have a new Shooters Choice and an old Shooters Choice with Hoppes in it.

No confusion because of the condition of the tops. I'll probably end up putting a label on the one with Hoppes. But right now, even my Granddaughter knows which is which.;)

Fireball 57
11-18-2005, 01:31 AM
I've been a closet solvent dipper for neigh on thirty years. Oh, the guilt and the shame of it all. But, then my wife says I have problems, "being a Sweetie and lower the Seatie." [smilie=6:

Beau Cassidy
11-18-2005, 08:07 AM
You guys ever try Wipe Out? The spray stuff you leave in your barrel overnight? I just got my first can(s) a couple of weeks ago. It only makes you THINK your guns were clean. This is coming from someone who tries to clean the hell out of them (rifles only) 3 times after hunting season and a whole lot more than necessary during the season. It doesn't smell bad at all. Sort of a soapy texture. Makes me want to throw out my copper solvents. You don't have to worry about dipping your brushes.

Beau

KCSO
11-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Since I clean guns in batches I use a pump operated solvent tank and the crud drops through the screens to the bottom of the tank where it gets cleaned out every six months. For me this is 1/2" in the bottom of a 30 gal tank every 6 months.

Char-Gar
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Sinclair sell little 4 oz solvent bottles with a fold down spout. That is what I use with Ed's Red. I like the smell of Hoppes #9, but Ed's Red does a better job. It also cost me only about $12.00 to mix a gallon.