PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stove

bensonwe
02-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Got home about an hour ago looked at the temp and it read 13 degrees. That made me feel like doing nothing tonight. So I heated up supper, poured a drink and started a fire in my wood stove. Now my belly is full and toes are warm. Tonight life is good.

country gent
02-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Our last wood stove only burnt for about 6 hours or so before it was gone. Seriously theres a lot to be said for a full belly a cold drink to sip and feet resting on a fire place nice and warm. It just don't get much better

jeepyj
02-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Hopefully it wasn't 13 in the house....JK
I know the feeling hard to get motivated when the bones aren't warm. Then when it's too warm my eyes seem to close. That's the way it gets at our camp.

skeettx
02-08-2017, 09:19 PM
YES, cold is cold
I was out in the boat last Friday morning and it was 15 degrees
COLD in Amarillo, Texas

Finster101
02-08-2017, 09:27 PM
It doesn't really get cold here but I sure do enjoy sitting by a fire at the pole barn.

starmac
02-08-2017, 09:46 PM
YES, cold is cold
I was out in the boat last Friday morning and it was 15 degrees
COLD in Amarillo, Texas

Especially in a boat, and where the wind seems to always blow.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-08-2017, 09:50 PM
The nicest kind of heat, I think, comes from a woodstove.

slim1836
02-08-2017, 09:54 PM
The nicest kind of heat, I think, comes from a woodstove.

Obviously your not married. [smilie=6: :kidding:

Slim

FISH4BUGS
02-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Our last wood stove only burnt for about 6 hours or so before it was gone. Seriously theres a lot to be said for a full belly a cold drink to sip and feet resting on a fire place nice and warm. It just don't get much better
We are wood burners all the way. We have a Jotul Norsk Stove, heat a 1600 sf house with it, and burn around 5-6 cords a year. The thermostats in the house (backup heat = propane fired forced hot water) are set at 50 and I don't think the heat has been on in five years.
Like you, one of life's little pleasures is getting the stove going in the morning, sitting in front of it all toasty warm and drinking my coffee while the sun rises over the hay fields.
I work from home so I get to stoke the stove all day. Most of the time it is 72-75 degrees in the downstairs (except for 90+ degrees in the stove room) and in the mid 60's upstairs. Cold? Put on some heavier socks or a fleece.
Wood stoves are a wonderful thing.

jmorris
02-08-2017, 10:02 PM
I was sweating today, wearing shorts yesterday, split firewood weekend before last. Have to love Texas.

CastingFool
02-08-2017, 10:10 PM
I liked it when we heated our house with a woodstove years ago. It was a Jotul add on furnace. I enjoyed going to cut wood, and didn't mind splitting by hand, but then I was 30 yrs younger, too. Now we rely on good ole LP.

Bzcraig
02-08-2017, 10:20 PM
I liked it when we heated our house with a woodstove years ago. It was a Jotul add on furnace. I enjoyed going to cut wood, and didn't mind splitting by hand, but then I was 30 yrs younger, too. Now we rely on good ole LP.

Sounds like me! We started with the wood stove, we liked it, after many years switched to a pellet stove, really liked that, then pellets got more expensive than the local utility company and I was unwilling at about 55 (at the time) to go back to wood.

country gent
02-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Wifes family had a sears indestrco wood and coal furnace in the house they moved into down the road. wood during the day and knotty oak and coal at night or when you were going away for awhile. No one there knew how to stoke it for real heat. I was therehelping out one day ( before we were married or even dating) and they were complaining. I spilt up some wood went down and shortly after they had windows open and wouldn't let me near it again. LOL. we had stove at home for several years to use up wood from trimming fence rows and woods edges. Along with dead wood from the woods.

TXGunNut
02-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Especially in a boat, and where the wind seems to always blow.

No need for a boat, wind always blows in Amarillo. I hear a range up there has a logging chain on a flagpole for a wind indicator. When the chain is horizontal and links are popping off it's too windy to shoot. ;-)

MaryB
02-08-2017, 10:58 PM
I use a pellet/corn stove, get up in the morning and fire it up to get the living room a toasty 78 and the rest of the house to 72-74. Burn 5-7 gallons of corn a day...

Der Gebirgsjager
02-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Obviously your not married. [smilie=6: :kidding:

Slim

Only 47+ years! :D