PDA

View Full Version : Ford 3600 tractor compare to a newer 30 hp MFWD tractor

MarkP
02-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I have an opportunity to bid on a Ford 3600 diesel (48 gross hp) with loader mfg'd in 1979.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences how an older 45 to 50 hp diesel 2WD tractor with loader compares to a newer 30 hp diesel MFWD tractor. In terms of tractive effort; pulling implements and using front loader to fix erosion / washouts? The 2WD is nearly 2X's as heavy as 30 hp compact utility tractor.

I am familiar with MFWD compact utility tractors in the 16 to 30 hp range but no experience with slightly larger and heavier 2WD's in the 45 hp range.

Rusty W
02-08-2017, 12:12 AM
I used a kubota L series 24hp 2wd for 10 years brush hogging, 3ft rotary tiller, disc, 5'blade & a single plow. Got along just fine & didn't what I was missing until I bought a L3430 4wd w/a loader. I live on a hill & the 4wd makes all the difference in the world. I'd say the type of terrain would dictate what would work better but I'd go for the 4wd. As a kid growing up we used a Jubilee, 8n, & a old JD A or B model don't remember which, just that it was a tricycle front end & as a 10 year old kid I hated trying to get it out of a furrow, I learned the brakes real quick. For my use, I'd give up a little horse power for 4wd but if the attachments I had need a certain hp to operate, more hp more better.

rancher1913
02-08-2017, 12:14 AM
the ford will be a little sluggish on the loader, they were not made for a loader and the hydraulics are a little weak for one. don't know what you plan to use it for but the ford on flat ground will do just fine using the traction lock and with a set of chains do all kinds of snow work, it will also be easier to service and repair. I have a lot of ford tractors and would not trade any of them for a Chinese tractor. my 3000 makes a great garden tractor and will handle a 2 bottom plow, its nimble and easy to operate, the 4000 is a lot more tractor and can do serious dirt work and still get in and out of tight spaces, the 5000's and on up are best in fields as they are not quite as nimble.

shoot-n-lead
02-08-2017, 12:29 AM
I would buy the 4WD tractor...if you ever own one...you will not go back to a 2WD.

I like the 3000, 4000, and 5000 series ...especially the independent PTO on the 4000 and 5000...but those tractors are at least 40yrs old...and if I am buying a tractor, it will be a newer tractor.

rond
02-08-2017, 10:00 AM
If your going to use the bucket a lot 4WD makes it easier to get around. I use 2WD most of the time unless I'm moving dirt.

Plate plinker
02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
How much money are you looking to spend?

richbug
02-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Diesel 3600?

In terms of "tractive effort", field work etc, plow, disc, brush hog... IE what a tractor was designed to do, the 3600 will work circles around any of the 30 HP compacts.

As a loader it will probably hold its own against a smaller toy tractor, assuming it is ballasted correctly, and heavy mud isn't involved.

It will still be running decades after the disposable toy tractors have been junked due to lack of parts for their electronics.

Houndog
02-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Diesel 3600?

In terms of "tractive effort", field work etc, plow, disc, brush hog... IE what a tractor was designed to do, the 3600 will work circles around any of the 30 HP compacts.

As a loader it will probably hold its own against a smaller toy tractor, assuming it is ballasted correctly, and heavy mud isn't involved.

It will still be running decades after the disposable toy tractors have been junked due to lack of parts for their electronics.

I own a Massey 2wd in the same horsepower class as the 3000 series Ford and a New Holland 30hp compact 4wd. For general farm work ON FLAT or GENTLY rolling land the 2wd Massey has it all over the compact tractor, but in tight, steep or extremely muddy ground the little compact 4wd is better in MY opinion! Sometimes smaller and lighter is an advantage. As far as loader work, a 4wd IN THE SAME SIZE tractor is better, but keep in mind the heavier tractor will probably pick up more than the compact tractor weighs! I'd look at the lay of your property and what you want the tractor to do and go from there. Both tractors are good for the purpose they were designed for!

MaryB
02-08-2017, 11:39 PM
I remember doing all the farm work with this! Crank started the dang thing a time or two also! Grandpa's may have been an older model

http://www.tractordata.com/photos/F000/960/960-td4-b03-ext270.jpg

MarkP
02-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all of your input, I currently have a smaller Yanmar MFWD works great with a post hole digger and in tight spots but not enough hp to run a 48" adequately.

I scrapped the dirt and grease off of the Ford to expose the serial number and model number. I am fairly certain it is a Ford 340 (industrial version of the 4600) Model number is CU314K mfg in late 1979 and not a 3600. This is about 60 gross hp tractor. It is at my work and is selling as a sealed bid auction which ends next Friday.

samari46
02-10-2017, 11:49 PM
I have one of the older Kubota L3800's with the front end loader and bush hog. 4wd is activated by pulling a T handle right at my feet, otherwise just normal 2wd. On the few occasions I have had to use the 4wd ( got stuck in the mud) when in 4wd just backed out of where I was stuck. Used it for scooping up tree limbs, moving piles of dirt and spreading and leveling dirt. So far knock on wood never had a problem. The previous John Deere was a money sewer as everytime something went wrong it cost me some big bucks. Kubota is heads and shoulders above John Deere. Frank

Elkins45
02-11-2017, 01:37 AM
Diesel 3600?

I have a 81 MF 245 (3 cyl Perkins diesel) and a 2013 Kubota L3800. The big heavy 2wd is laughably inadequate compared to the smaller, lighter 4wd Kubota. Even for the tasks where old heavy low tech iron is supposed to excel the Kubota gets more done with less HP. Even plowing. The Kubota will keep turning a furrow when the Massey spins out and forces me to lift--and that's with the same plow.

I'm putting the Massey on the market in the spring and keeping my "disposable toy." I'll make you a deal if you want it. $4500 and it's yours.

richbug
02-11-2017, 09:07 AM
I have a 81 MF 245 (3 cyl Perkins diesel) and a 2013 Kubota L3800. The big heavy 2wd is laughably inadequate compared to the smaller, lighter 4wd Kubota. Even for the tasks where old heavy low tech iron is supposed to excel the Kubota gets more done with less HP. Even plowing. The Kubota will keep turning a furrow when the Massey spins out and forces me to lift--and that's with the same plow.

I'm putting the Massey on the market in the spring and keeping my "disposable toy." I'll make you a deal if you want it. $4500 and it's yours.

If the MF doesn't out plow the Kub, you need to look at a few things. Learn what draft control is, and how to use it. Soil condition, if it is wet enough to need front wheel assist, the ground it too wet, and you are doing more harm than good to your soil(compaction). Plow set up and tractor wheel spacing.

MF more than any other manufacturer, except maybe David Brown, has draft control worked out, they were one of the pioneers, and have more experience.

I'm not an expert but do still moldboard plow a few 100 acres a year. I do own a small 4x4(75 PTO hp), but it only gets used for loader chores and doing foolish things. "Field work" is all done by small 2 wheel drives.

jmort
02-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I have always lived in hilly/mountain areas and the 4wd is so much better than 2wd. Getting the Ford 4500 out when it was stuck was below average. Right now I have a 32 hp John Deere aka Yanmar and it is OK for me. 15 acres pasture and 40 acres wooded. Thinking about moving up to 50 hp with a brush/log clamp for the front loader, as the trees/logs are a bit much for the small tractor. But traction wise, that little guy is impressive especially with the locker.

starmac
02-12-2017, 03:50 PM
If that is the industrial ford with a loader, you will like it for loader work. if the tires are filled it will work more dirt thanthe smaller 4x4 ever thought of.

starmac
02-12-2017, 03:53 PM
I remember doing all the farm work with this! Crank started the dang thing a time or two also! Grandpa's may have been an older model

http://www.tractordata.com/photos/F000/960/960-td4-b03-ext270.jpg

We had an old U moline propane rig when I was a kid. Twelve hour days piloting that thing would make a man out of you. lol

MarkP
02-12-2017, 07:13 PM
If that is the industrial ford with a loader, you will like it for loader work. if the tires are filled it will work more dirt thanthe smaller 4x4 ever thought of.

Thanks Starmac ---- It has wheel weights on inside of wheels and I am fairly certain the rear wheels are filled with dense foam as all of the tires around the plant on non-hwy vehicles are foam filled. As far as I know I am the only one that has looked at it since it was listed on our company intranet site. No foot prints in snow and mud except mine, the listing has a vague description and title and a few pictures. You never know who else is interested. After researching and looking around some I am planning to bid a little higher than I originally thought.

jmort
02-12-2017, 07:26 PM
The industrial Fords were yellow, like the 4500
The front end is heavier

MarkP
02-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Yellow is under the blue paint.

jmort
02-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Then it was an industrial Ford.

starmac
02-12-2017, 08:10 PM
The loader on the industrial is not to be compared to the light duty loaders on the farm type tractors, just completely different animals and built much heavier duty, as is the front spindles and everything else.

We used to beef up the loaders on large farm tractors to handle much more weight, then had to have wheels built as they would split, then had frame problems where they were bolted to the engine, even breaking out of the block at times, always had bushing problems in the kingpins. You just can not make an industrial loader out of a farm tractor, no matter how much you spend, been there and done that.

jmort
02-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Yes
My 1973 4500 was built like a tank.

MaryB
02-12-2017, 11:13 PM
It was great fun coming down the hill with a full hay rack behind you and trying to slow down enough to make the turn into the farm yard... didn't have much for brakes...

We had an old U moline propane rig when I was a kid. Twelve hour days piloting that thing would make a man out of you. lol

Mk42gunner
02-13-2017, 10:46 AM
It was great fun coming down the hill with a full hay rack behind you and trying to slow down enough to make the turn into the farm yard... didn't have much for brakes...
I have yet to see any old farm tractor that has decent brakes. My theory is they all gradually wore out and people got used to dropping the implement to stop, not much help when pulling hay wagons.

I think brakes were about the third thing I did when I got my WD running: 1 was replacing the manifold--You could see fire through the holes in it, 2 was changing fluids-- It sat for years between grandpa using it and me retiring from the Navy.

Robert

starmac
02-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Most farm tractors I ran had brakes, that is the only way to turn them with heavy implements, they are not designed to stop big loads in a hurry though.

Bullwolf
02-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Recently a neighbor died on his crawler with no brakes. He ran it out of gas coming down a hill. Once the engine died, it ran away with him eventually flipping over and it crushed him to death.

I felt extremely bad for his wife, who's now a widow.

I've run a crawler with less than stellar brakes before. Made me re-think some of the stupid things that I have done over the years.

- Bullwolf

Sur-shot
02-14-2017, 01:42 PM
I adapted the hydro block on my 4x4, 45 Hp Kubota's FEL so I could pick up my Bridgeport J head Mill with a 4 ft motorized table off of the equipment trailer and then move it around in my shop to spot it. Did the same to the 14x40 gear head lathe. The tires are calcium liquid filled. I used a 6 ft bush hog for a counter weight. The power steering in the Kubota makes it real nice in a tight spot. I use the root rake on it most times, to handle logs or centered heavy stuff, at the tree farm. I have a solid red clay base that gets real slick when wet so the extra drive wheels come in handy on the 4x4. That 45 is as big as I can get between the trees with. Hope that old Ford has something besides, your power, steering....
Ed

44man
02-16-2017, 08:57 AM
I never wrapped my head around the low horse power that can do so much work.
I had a big tractor with the tric wheels. Could not stop the back wheels and when stuck they dug me to China! Got to watch them, they tip easy.

koger
02-17-2017, 05:17 AM
I have a 801 Ford workmaster, and a 4000SU Diesel. This is a 4000diesel, in the smaller 3000frame. I used a neighbors Chineese compact with bucket loader, while waiting on a busted line on my 4000 ford. The Chineese tractor was nice, had 38HP rated, was much lighter than the ford. But when digging in, cleaning our ditches, moving or grading material, was not close to the ford 4000. Also, the 4000su, was 58 HP. The fords are super easy to work on maintain, parts are available everywhere, especially on EBay. I have had mine since 1978, still going strong!! My 801, gas, 42 horse is a 1957 model, changed over to 12V, one sweet running tractor, that uses very little fuel!

jonp
02-17-2017, 05:48 AM
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/260-ford-3600.html
https://www.fastline.com/v100/listings.aspx?Category=Tractors&Manufacturer=Ford&Model=3600

Any idea on where your going to bid? I'm a little confused on this, the 3600 are blue. The industrial ones are 4500's and yellow as near as I can tell. Even if its a 3500 the loader will do 2,000lbs. What are you going to do with it?

jmort
02-17-2017, 07:57 AM
I had a 1973 4500 as noted and it was yellow. 58 HP diesel
Weighed 7,233 pounds without the loader. Added wheel weights and it had a front loader, and an 8 foot box scraper which is what I had available, 7 foot would have been better match, so it was north of 10,000 pounds in operational form. Loader rated at 3,750 pounds at the pins. It had great reach for picking things up.
Never over-matched the loader when I used it. In the mountains, I had to dig it out a few times which was no fun.
My current, 2016, John Deere 3032, made by Yanmar, has 32 HP and the loader is rated around 1200 lbs at the pins. Probably around 3,000 pounds total soaking wet. I can easily overwhelm the loader with road base and it has limited reach. It don't get stuck which is nice. I have some tight spaces and a lot of trees, so a bigger tractor would have more function but be a PITA to operate here. The "modern" light 4x4 aka Front Assist tractors are useful and have a place.

MarkP
02-17-2017, 11:50 PM
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/6/260-ford-3600.html
https://www.fastline.com/v100/listings.aspx?Category=Tractors&Manufacturer=Ford&Model=3600

Any idea on where your going to bid? I'm a little confused on this, the 3600 are blue. The industrial ones are 4500's and yellow as near as I can tell. Even if its a 3500 the loader will do 2,000lbs. What are you going to do with it?

I figured out last week it was a 340 and not a 3600 (CU314K) I operated it the other night and everything works but the hour meter and tach, the radius arms are a little loose along with one tie rod and it needs a battery. What most impressed me is that it popped right off and it had not been started in a few weeks not real cold but well below freezing at night and about 40 F when I jumped it. The hood is dented and the grill has some dents. Rear tires are not weather checked and have great tread. I rolled it over our scale it weighed 9,340 lbs with me on it so 9,055 lbs.

I am planning to dig out my silted in pond and fix some erosion in a few areas, also save my back when hanging steel targets. Planning to build two bullet traps and will use the loader to get them off the trailer and move them around. Previously I was planning to build them on axles so I could get them to my range. I realized a few years ago I need to be more carful with my back after a friend blew his out. I would un-load large steel silhouettes off of a trailer by picking them up and walking them around, would also put 5 gal buckets filled with wheel weights in my 3/4 ton truck.

Bullwolf
02-17-2017, 11:56 PM
My 1985 Ford 3910 is blue, and also 4wheel drive 42 H.P. 3 cylinder Diesel.

It doesn't have front hydraulics, but has a strong PTO, and hydraulics on the rear.

I rarely ever use the 4wheel drive, but it's sure nice to have it when you need it. Most slippery stuff it will just walk right out of. Rarely will I need to actually step on the rear locker.

It's used mostly for bush-hogging on my small (100 acre) farm. Sometimes I'll pull a stump with it, or drag something away that has fallen across my road.

- Bullwolf