PDA

View Full Version : Fixing

44man
02-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Just replaced a gear in a Kitchen-aid mixer for a neighbor. Prices ranged from $80 down. Found the gear for $7. New grease too.
Made bushings to cut forcing cones in Walker BP revolvers. I got nice clean cuts. What they had was cut so bad it was funny. Used a cement mixer.

rancher1913
02-07-2017, 03:54 PM
were did you find the cheep parts, my wife has one that the control board is gone and everything I priced it was cheaper to buy a used machine over repairing.

jonas302
02-07-2017, 04:20 PM
There sure is some satisfaction in reviving something that is basically throw away I get to do that quite a bit as a mechanic but it still brings a smile to make it work again sometimes even better than new

Echo
02-07-2017, 07:10 PM
were did you find the cheep parts, my wife has one that the control board is gone and everything I priced it was cheaper to buy a used machine over repairing.

I too would rather repair than replace, but - The mother board went out on my GE Spacesaver Microwave. I had already replaced one in a previous Spacesaver, so called the GE place. They would charge $200 to come out and replace it, so I thought I would just buy one and do my own replacing again - except GE doesn't have any for replacement - so went to AFEX & bought a returned WhirlPool for 1/2 price. But I would rather have repaired - cost $150 to have the new one installed! It didn't go in like the GE...

DerekP Houston
02-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Control board is probably a bit more pricey. I actually was just looking at re-greasing my kitchen aid and saw the worm gear is a tad worn as well. Part can be had on amazon for $5 or so, it's one of those "designed to fail" plastic parts that will save the motor.

jonp
02-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I just replaced the motor in my dryer rather than buy a new one. If I can fix it I try.

smokeywolf
02-07-2017, 09:23 PM
I've repaired TVs, telephones, washers, dryers, disposals, vacuum cleaners.

About 16 years ago I bit the bullet and bought a Lindhaus commercial vacuum cleaner. No repairs or even new belts since.

fatelk
02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
I've lost count how many times I've repaired a household appliance of some kind; washer, dryer, dishwasher, disposal, oven, etc.. I think I'd be broke (or more broke) if I didn't.

We went down to Lowes a couple years ago because my wife was convinced that our 20+ year old dryer was on its last legs. The salesman there did a good job of not selling us anything. He told us that with such a huge family like ours (his opinion; we have four kids. since when is four kids a "huge" family?) the life expectancy of a washer and dryer pair is maybe four or five years tops. Bull. After pricing a new set I came home and fixed the old one (again). Maybe we'll get another decade out of them.

My apologies to all you appliance salesmen and repairmen out there; if you depend on people like me for your livelihood you might want to find another line of work. I can't recall that I've ever had a repairman of any kind in my house, and the only appliance I can remember buying new was a water heater. When they rust through I guess there's just not much fix to them. :)

dragon813gt
02-07-2017, 09:48 PM
I make my living fixing air treatment equipment. Some things these days are disposable. Microwaves fall in this category for me. Last home appliance I fixed was the LG front load washer. Had to replace the tub seal due to mold growth. Very poor design IMO. And yes, I keep the door open when not in use. I think the seal was around $40. Tools to replace it cost me $140, $70 each. You need one of them, second one just makes things a lot easier.

smokeywolf
02-07-2017, 09:57 PM
I have a problem with these appliance sales people who push harder to sell the extended warranty than they do the appliance. Of course they have a problem with me too. When I'm told that the manufacturer's warranty times out at the end of the first year, I tell them I don't want to pay $500 for a dishwasher that the manufacturer believes will function reliably for only one year. If the manufacturer believed his machine would function as designed beyond a year he would warrant the machine beyond a year.

We bought a new fridge, washer and dryer a couple of years ago. Bought them from Costco because Costco adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty for no additional charge.

JWT
02-07-2017, 10:28 PM
My uncle has a Kenmore gas dryer that is nearly 50yrs old. He has gone to the extreme of welding in new surfaces in some of the drum. Given how well our fancy new dryer performs I think I would trade in a heart beat.

44man
02-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Sally, the neighbors wife, looked at all sites to get the prices. I don't know the place but can ask her.
I fix everything too but gave up when the old, rusty dryer had the heating coils burn out. Front load Maytag was a *** that Carol complained about. It would switch water temp by itself and shrink some items.
GE fridge went bad fast but I still have a Sears freezer near 60 years old, needs defrosted though. My basement fridge is 30 years old.
Worst problem is taking things up and down the basement steps like water heaters. I have stuff down here that will never leave, big gun safe and lathe.

Moleman-
02-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Appliance parts .com https://www.applianceparts.com/ has helped quite a bit keeping our washer and dryer going, dishwasher ect. They've got quite a few trouble guides to help narrow down the issue if you're not sure. Our Kenmore dryer has had new rollers, fuseable links, ignitor, gas solenoid, propane jet, and I'm sure other stuff I'm forgetting. The washer needs a new inlet water valve assembly (it's clean but the cold water solenoid no longer fully opens) and I've taken two or three kid socks out of the pump.

fatelk
02-08-2017, 02:14 PM
Tiny socks in the water pump- been there, done that! :)

There are so many resources for fixing things now that didn't exist decades ago. I've gotten a lot of parts and pieces from Appliance Parts, Amazon, and EBay. As much as I dislike YouTube at times, there sure are some great how-to videos there.

454PB
02-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Funny you mention gun safes, I've owned mine for 35 years and have moved it three times. Every time I move it, I swear I'll never move it again.

fecmech
02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
The washer needs a new inlet water valve assembly (it's clean but the cold water solenoid no longer fully opens)
Just replaced one on our Whirlpool washer. Found it on Amazon for $20.,DIL has Prime so shipping was free. Whole job took about an hour and we were up and running. Love the UTube video's for disassembling washers and dryers!

higgins
02-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Years ago I replaced the plastic connector between the transmission and motor on our Whirlpool clothes washer. Obviously that was the "breakaway" part in the drive train. A few years later I was able to save our son and his wife quite a bit of money when his washer showed the same symptoms. Every time I see a Whirlpool (and others) washer at the convenience center, I wonder if all it needs is a $15 part to get it going again.

skeettx
02-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Yes, fixing is good,
The plastic lips on the CZ-75 magazines chipped so the slide would not stay back on last shot.
So, drilled a hole in the follower and screwed in a small rounded phillips head screw
Now works great :)
Mike

fecmech
02-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Years ago I replaced the plastic connector between the transmission and motor on our Whirlpool clothes washer. Obviously that was the "breakaway" part in the drive train.
Did that on mine a year ago also. The way the sheetmetal casing comes off that machine makes all the repairs easy.

30Carbine
02-08-2017, 11:07 PM
The heater stopped working in the shop in November. It's less than a year old on this one, called the repair guy said the circuit board was fried. 368 yes that's U.S pesos installed hmm the heater was only 600 new. he handed me the old board looked it over, found one of the mosfits fried. 10 minutes on the old gargler found one in u long china or something like that. order 1 mind you 1 it was only a dollar (remember read fine print). ok so here it is what month is this again. got the heater working Monday nice and toasty again. remember the fine print 3 weeks to when ever to get and the 1 ended up 100 in a pack. Oh well got more for later remember sometimes cheap and doing it your self doesn't mean good. have been laughing all week so far.

MaryB
02-08-2017, 11:21 PM
They make a plastic tanked water heater with a lifetime warranty!

I've lost count how many times I've repaired a household appliance of some kind; washer, dryer, dishwasher, disposal, oven, etc.. I think I'd be broke (or more broke) if I didn't.

We went down to Lowes a couple years ago because my wife was convinced that our 20+ year old dryer was on its last legs. The salesman there did a good job of not selling us anything. He told us that with such a huge family like ours (his opinion; we have four kids. since when is four kids a "huge" family?) the life expectancy of a washer and dryer pair is maybe four or five years tops. Bull. After pricing a new set I came home and fixed the old one (again). Maybe we'll get another decade out of them.

My apologies to all you appliance salesmen and repairmen out there; if you depend on people like me for your livelihood you might want to find another line of work. I can't recall that I've ever had a repairman of any kind in my house, and the only appliance I can remember buying new was a water heater. When they rust through I guess there's just not much fix to them. :)

MaryB
02-08-2017, 11:32 PM
I am old school, use it up, wear it out, or do without. I fix everything I can in the house. Furnace was acting up, repair guy said due to age it has to be replaced(it is under warranty yet!) but I would have to pony up $400 for the price difference for a new one. I told him I would think about it because it only runs at night when I shut the pellet stove off. I started it the next morning, read the blink code on the led, it said the condensate P-trap or pump was bad. I pull he P trap and it is full of mold, drop it in the sink with bleach and 140 degree water, it comes out nice and clean like new. Reassemble and it has been fine for 3 months. Company I had the warranty with calls and I tell them it is working fine now I do not need a new furnace for a 20 minute fix and I hung up after telling them they have lost all future business from me. Warranty expire in March so if it does go I will have to decide on repair or replace after that.