PDA

View Full Version : The joys of winter

starmac
02-06-2017, 09:06 PM
I needed to do literally one minute of welding on my log bunk.
My welder is outside under 3 feet of snow and has not been cranked since sometime last summer.
So saturday I dug it out enough to clear the exhaust and get the leads strung into the shop, but the battery was grave yard dead, so I dug out the frontof it to get to the battery and hook the charger up.
Yesterday I had juice but it turned over real sluggish, it teased me by firing on the first turn, then no more, so now I unplug the charger and plug in the block heater. I got away from it and didn't try to start it till yesterday evening, the motor was warm, but the battery just wasn't up to it, so I unplugged the block heater and leave the charger on slow charge overnight.
This morning it would turn over, but still sluggish, so again plug in the block heater. I did not try it for three hours and finally success.

What a pain to literally burn half a rod in less than a minute. lol
Last winter I kept it in the shop takeing up needed space in case I needed it, but never did,so decided not to this year, win some lose some. lol

runfiverun
02-06-2017, 10:07 PM
plastic sheeting..

rancher1913
02-06-2017, 10:15 PM
need a bigger shop

starmac
02-06-2017, 10:16 PM
need a bigger shop

No doubt, and we were talking about that today, but I already have two shops rented. lol

PtMD989
02-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Sounds like danged if you do and danged if you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bzcraig
02-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Another circuit so you can plug them both in at the same time? But I was cracking up reading cause it sounds like some of my past escapades. [smilie=b:

MaryB
02-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Solar battery maintainer!

starmac
02-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Solar battery maintainer!

LMAO, solar does not do so well here in the winter.
Another cord would have been the easy answer, but I would have either gone to the other shop (lazy) or iut to the storage van (really lazy) to get one long enough. lol
The real problem is that thing always starts so quick and easy, that I was not expecting any problems. It has always started on the first cylinder that comes up, and actually did this time, but died just as quick, then told me it was just too cold to be welding to start with. lol

runfiverun
02-07-2017, 12:57 AM
welding cold brittle metal can't be any better for it than hitting it with a hammer.

starmac
02-07-2017, 01:13 AM
LoL. I keep the truck in the shop, just not the welder this winter, so the metal was cozy warm. lol

It really was not as much trouble, just time consuming to burn a half a rod. lol
Kind of made me wish I hadn't given away my cracker box. lol