PDA

View Full Version : I'm about 2 weeks out to buy a small cal rifle kit. What caliber do you like and why?

Whiterabbit
02-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Hi guys,

Basically in the market for a small cal rifle, and commercial trade guns just aren't doing it for me. I've bought all my current BP guns by waiting for people to sell their customs at half what they are worth and so far pretty good luck.

But I don't think I'm going to wait this time around.

At the same time, I want to make sure I can get set up for 50 yard target shooting, so the gun needs to drive nails. (another reason to skip a factory gun)

So I'm looking at this kit:

http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-42/

I can carve it slim, I can get a long barrel (I'm tall and like long barrels), I can get it in percussion (I already have a GREAT flint rifle), I can get it with a set trigger, I can get it in a swamped barrel, and I can pick the lock maker and cal, 32, 36, 40 cal.

Which cal would you pick and why? Barrel will very likely be a 40+" swamped.

Which percussion lock would you pick and why? siler vs L&R? My flint is a nice large Siler and I really, really like it.

Last, any tips for make sure it'll be a tack driver when I finish it? Must shoot PRB's of course, only needs to shoot to 50 yards, and my flinter will make the balls touch if I shoot from a bench, I want to give myself every chance one I assemble will do the same. Anything to look out for specifically while building to make sure I get there?

Standing Bear
02-06-2017, 06:39 PM
.40 cause I've had .32 and .36 and like the .40 better. Make of lock doesn't make a lot of difference on a pop gun to me but get a small Siler then it will be easy to
upgrade to a flintlock.
TC

Whiterabbit
02-06-2017, 06:44 PM
OK, Siler it is, I'm happy with the flint I have in it.

So, I just looked for ITX Roundballs and it looks like they only come in 32 cal (next size up is 45 cal). So I now have a very compelling reason to pick 32 cal.

Any reason, besides even a swamped barrel still being heavy, that 32 cal is not ideal, that I should consider a 45 even though I WANT a small cal? or is there nothing else inherrently wrong with long barrel 32 cal minus barrel weight?

Whiterabbit
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Oh reminds me, looks like I can choose a colerain, rice, or rayl barrel? I've never heard of these makers. Any reaosn to pick one over another?

bob208
02-06-2017, 07:40 PM
for years I out shot custom guns all I used was a lyman gpr rifle with a .40 cal hoyt barrel on it. lee has molds in .395. the last few years I have been using a under hammer with an old Douglas .45 barrel.

rodwha
02-07-2017, 01:00 AM
From what little I've read the .32 has all but petered out by 50 yds, and with a more poor BC it just doesn't shoot very far very well. .40 cal often seems to be a favorite.

koger
02-07-2017, 02:07 AM
I have had, hunted with .32, .36 .40's, all for squirrel rifles. I settled with a .40, here is why. Easy to get the ramrod down and clean, with a big enough ramrod. I have killed deer with a .40, .395RB and 603ffg, ran 40yds and piled up, never got out of sight, ball went thru the meaty part of both deer shoulders and exited, lungs were a mess inside! For small game, I use some hard cast RB's, don't expand and tear the meat up too much.

rfd
02-07-2017, 08:50 AM
a .40 is a nice all 'round bore. there's beauty already built and ready to shoot for sale at ALR.

OverMax
02-07-2017, 11:04 AM
40 cal because its the smallest legal Big Game caliber in this State. Yet not too heavy to tote or over powered when scouting the woods for that evenings fine dinning on grey & fox squirrel. As for a lock.
Siler- Jim Chambers tuned. Siler locks appeal me too. Because they look less cluttered and having a squared edged pan. Just appeals to my one good focusing eye that still can count the hammer marks (swings) on the head of a 16 penny nail.

mazo kid
02-07-2017, 12:48 PM
How/what will you be shooting? Bench, target, hunting...? I have a semi/custom 32 flintlock that is very slender and easy to carry. Rice and Hoyt are quality barrels but Colrain is good too. I have a Rice barrel on my custom 58 flinter; it has the round bottom grooves and loads easily and cleans quickly. I have never had a 36 or 40 caliber rifle so can't offer any insight there.

mazo kid
02-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Unless you are really set on building a kit, check out Track of the Wolf; they might have a rifle like you want for sale. They also have kits.

RU shooter
02-07-2017, 03:05 PM
36 or 40 in an A weight barrel would be nice and light to tote around , but for the lock choice you don't want a siler Germanic style lock on a southern type rifle like that . Davis has a ketland style percussion lock or chambers mountain lock would better

Maven
02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Once again I have to second maze kid's advice: Do try TOW first and then Tip Curtis (no internet for Tip, just a telephone).

Wayne Smith
02-07-2017, 05:19 PM
I've decided I have neither the skill or the time to make my own. Did some research and discorvered (of course, once I thought) that I have a number of local makers - all trained at the Williamsburg Gun Shop. I'm saving my pennies to have one of them make me one in the white - 40 cal swamped barrel, we'll decide the rest when he and I sit down and make firm plans. I'll get it in the white and finish the wood and the metal. I'm thinking simple southern style flintlock.

54bore
02-08-2017, 09:50 AM
.36 or .40, I have a TC Seneca in .36 Cal and it is my go to fun gun! According to the ballistics in my TC Manual, and my Lyman blackpowder 2nd edition loading manual the Little 36 Cal with a 65 grain rounball and 60 grains of 3F is running 2,150 FPS Muzzle velocity with 667 ft pounds of muzzle energy, and with a 128 Grain Maxi ball with 60 grains 3F it shows a muzzle velocity of 2001 FPS and produces 1,138 Ft pounds of muzzle energy. To me this VERY VERY impressive! Consider a .22 Magnum with one of the heavier available 40 grain bullets maxed out at 1800 FPS and produces 300-310 ft pounds of Muzzle energy. The little .36 Cal Squirrel rifle easily DOUBLES the .22 Magnum with the 65 grain patched round ball, and blows it completely away with the little Maxi Ball. When i moved here i helped my dad with some commercial Slaughtering, we butchered every kind of beef that walks, and a ton of Hogs, and EVERY single one of them was shot between the runnin lights with a .22 Magnum, when you watch a 1200-1500 pound steer collapse to his belly DRT (dead right there) from a single little .22 Magnum shot between the eyes it gives you a WHOLE new level of respect for a .22 Magnum!! And then to think that a .36 Cal easily doubles that, pretty darn impressive if you ask me!! I would ABSOLUTELY love to have a fast twist .36 that would shoot the heavier .357 Magnum cast bullets since there are so many designs to choose from, size and paper patch them. Talk about a FUN LITTLE RIFLE! And one SERIOUSLY BAD @SS LITTLE DUDE!!

johnson1942
02-08-2017, 08:55 PM
54 bore, im building just that kind of pp gun as we speak. it will be pp .357 in 1/15 twist and shoot about a 200 grain bullet. i expect good results as far as the 9 power scope can see.

54bore
02-10-2017, 07:19 AM
54 bore, im building just that kind of pp gun as we speak. it will be pp .357 in 1/15 twist and shoot about a 200 grain bullet. i expect good results as far as the 9 power scope can see.

That will be a fun one Roger! Keep us posted on it!

kmrra
02-10-2017, 07:26 AM
those are pretty guns but the starting price seams a little pricie , but I almost know nothing about BP kits either , looks like fun tho

Squeeze
02-15-2017, 03:15 PM

I shot my 14 twist .36 today. With some grease groove ~ 283 grn http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-270L-D.png I spent more time dialing the scope, but got 1-1/2 groups at 100 with a 30 grain charge Schutzen, which I'm sure I can improve. Next time ill bring a chrono, and probably walk the charge up. So far, the setup keeps impressing me.