PDA

View Full Version : LLA & BP = Goo: Truth or Fiction?

Old Ironsights
06-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been told that many petroleum based lubes will gum up a BP gun somthing fierce.

I also read in the LEE Reloading manual that they think LLA coated REAL & Minnies are just fine and actually keep the bore clean.

All I know is I hate lubing Minnies and REALs with standard lubes. I would be really happy if I could Tumble Lube and be done with it.

Who has FIRST HAND experience here either doing or observing unremovable Alox Goo?

(Note: My ML is a Stainless Steel Flinter with a fully and easily removable breech plug. Cleaning is easy...)

Underclocked
06-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I've pan lubed conicals with a mix of 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox and alcohol. Seemed to work just fine for me - but I was shooting a sub (Pyrodex P) and not true black at the time.

jack19512
07-01-2008, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=Old Ironsights;359260]
Who has FIRST HAND experience here either doing or observing unremovable Alox Goo?QUOTE]

I use the Lee 360 gr. minie and Triple Se7en power with Lee LLA and have had no problems.

oscar
07-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I use LLA exclusively on 250gr & 325gr REAL's in my Lyman GPH with Wano (German) FFFg. At the range I run a saliva patch trough after every shot & get 1" 3 shot groups at 80yards all day long.

Without the patch treatment loading becomes difficult after about 5 shots. Saliva patch, problem solved.

In brief:

No LLA doesn't clean the barrel (which lube does?)
The clean handling of a LLA lubed boolit more than compensates for the (for some people) saliva patch after every shot.

IMHO LLA is the way to go!

Almost forgot. The way I do it is to heat the LLA for a few seconds in the microwave, tumble them in a ziplock bag & set upright on wax paper to dry overnight.

Oscar

Old Ironsights
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to hear that.

I hate messy lubes at the range.

northmn
07-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Regular blackpowder does not work well with alox based lubes. I tried it in a 45-70 and the fouling got hard at the last few inches of barrel and would not shoot, these were however the softer stick lubes. SPG lube came out for that reason. I do not believe 777 is affected in that way. The lubes that clean while being shot are the lubes like Hoppes #9 plus, but would only work with a slug if loaded with a saturated wad. SPG and Lyman Gold keep the fouling soft enough so that it does not have as much effect from shot to shot. The LLA may not have as much effect as the softer stick lubes, but the SPG and Lyman Gold are really not that messy and may work without the need to wipe between every shot.

Northmn

cabezaverde
07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I have used LLA with maxie balls and cleanshot - works great and accurate.