PDA

View Full Version : My lube recipe?

BobinIL
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
I have been casting wheelweights for pistol velocity bullets for some time now. Mainly I cast for Cowboy action matches and long range buffalo rifles. I rarely exceed 1500fps. I do shoot some black powder substitutes APP and 777. I got this recipe from one of these forums 4 or 5 years ago. It consists of simply 50% toilet seal ring and 50% parrafin wax. I throw a green crayon in to give it color. The lube is somewhat sticky and soft so I put my sized and lubed bullets into a gallon freezer bag and throw in a tablespoon of mica dust and mix them around. This keeps them from sticking together. Should I be using something else???

joatmon
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Not if this works for you! If you do want to try others there is a sticky at the top of the page
here " Lube Recipes, Just The Facts" that makes for good reading.

wiljen
06-30-2008, 07:53 PM
If it works, don't change it. I would warn ya that everything in that lube is petroleum based which is a big No, No! when you load Black powder. If you ever do load BP for your cowboy stuff something non-petroleum like beeswax and olive oil lube may be in order.

BobinIL
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I understand about the real black powder. I use 50% white beeswax and 50% crisco for real black powder but I havent used the stuff for years.