PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling bullets

El Oso
11-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I have a Taylor Sharps in 45 2.1 a 405 rnfp cast with w.w. out of a LEE mold
ahead of 31.5gr Accurate Arms 5744 is tumbling. It is a very accurate load normally, but during practice for deer season I noticed I was missing my steel target alot. When I went to paper I noticed the tumbling. Any ideas why?

NVcurmudgeon
11-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Pardon requested if you have already checked this basic stuff. Have you slugged the barrel, and what is your groove or throat diameter? What is the sized diameter of the boolits? Is your alloy known wheelweights, or could it be something harder? At what range are you testing this load? Finally, if this is known to be an accurate load, has anything, however slight been changed just before the deer cardtridges were loaded, (alloy, diameter, etc.)
and is bore condition the same as when your accurate load was last fired?

powderburnerr
11-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Check your fireing pin it may be broken .it will stay in the block and still fire but will cause erratic ignition and accuracy problems........... Dean

35remington
11-05-2005, 08:49 PM
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your bullet is undersized for the barrel. My original Lee mould in the same weight cast to .457" with most alloys and only .4575-.458 with linotype. This was too small. Lee moulds typically cast undersized in this caliber; don't ask me why. However, they do state that they cast to this diameter right up front in their ads. A .457-.458" bullet is useless for almost any gun if the bullets aren't bumping up with powder ignition. Contact Dave Shono at Lee and ask them to send you a mould that casts to .460" or so-that should fix it.

I'd guess you switched alloy or casting technique and your bullets started coming out a little smaller in diameter-and if your bullets are borderline in diameter already, losing another thousandth can be disastrous. It also may be that your bullets aren't slugging up in the barrel, perhaps from casting from a different alloy.

In my gun, the first few shots from the barrel keyholed; then, as the barrel leaded accuracy was pretty fair for awhile (the leading served to make the barrel smaller in diameter) then went to hell again and started keyholing after the leading built up.

Try beagleing your mould to see if that helps. And I second everything curmudgeon said.

El Oso
11-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the ideas every one, Ireplayed things in my mind after I read your thoughts and remembered that I added some 30-1 alloy to my w.w. that was already melted. These are the bullets I casted for smokeless loads. I'll load some of my old bullets and see if this helps. Thanks again for the help,maybe
I'll eventually catch on to casting. Watch your six
El Oso