PDA

View Full Version : Ken Hartle, Pearl Harbor Salvage Diver dies at 103

richhodg66
02-03-2017, 11:34 PM
This guy might possibly be the toughest man who ever lived. Read about all he went through over the years, and I can't imagine what it took to dive in those wrecks recovering the dead. RIP, sir.

http://www.startribune.com/pearl-harbor-navy-salvage-diver-dies-at-103/412035986/

Omega
02-04-2017, 12:06 AM
RIP, Sir, you have earned it!

Plate plinker
02-04-2017, 01:25 AM
A real man.
Rip

Bent Ramrod
02-04-2017, 01:49 AM
There's a good book, called Descent Into Darkness, that details the Pearl Harbor salvage effort by a Navy diver who was a part of it. He said one of the great satisfactions of his career was knowing the Japanese were seeing the ships they thought they had destroyed coming after them again like avenging ghosts.

He said he knew when there was a body in a compartment even though there was no light. There was a sound, or sense, like hearing a chandelier in the next room tinkling in a light breeze. That, plus the claustrophobic effect of being in a lightless compartment, oxyacetylene welding up holes even though there was leaked fuel drifting all over the place, shows that it isn't always necessary to face bullets to be a hero.

w5pv
02-04-2017, 08:56 AM
RIP Heroe

shdwlkr
02-04-2017, 01:32 PM
peace finally has come to one America owes a whole lot. RIP your task in this life is finally over and you can now enjoy the rest you so greatly have earned. May those of us left behind be so lucky as to be so remembered when we too are gone

fatnhappy
02-04-2017, 03:46 PM
It may have been sadly merciful for him to have alzheimers. Fair winds and following seas sir.

DanishM1Garand
02-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Tough old bird!

Fair winds and following seas, from an old Jarhead.

DCP
02-04-2017, 05:32 PM
He lived it
Rest in Peace

Many gave all,All gave some
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.
For our tomorrow,They gave their today

Blackwater
02-04-2017, 07:31 PM
May God rest his highly valued soul! Amen.

Thumbcocker
02-04-2017, 08:14 PM
I wish there ws more effort made to mention how many of the ships that were sunk were refloated and went into action.

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2017, 03:10 AM
What an amazing story and life.

Rest in peace sir.

bedbugbilly
02-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Thank you for the post. He certainly was a true member of the "greatest generation" and earned his place in heaven . . . May God hold him in his hand and may he have he eternal peace he so deserves.

When I read this story . . . I couldn't help but think about what these men and women went through and the effect it had on their lives . . . things that they would have liked to have forgotten but never were able to. They did what they had to do . . . no questions asked . . . no regrets.

And then my thoughts went to what we are seeing on TV this week with the young people as well as those old enough to know better - adults, professors, etc. and what vile things are spewing out of their mouths and the destruction they are causing . . . . they haven't got a clue. And to me, their behavior is a stain not he memory of fine gentlemen such as this individual who served this country when needed.