PDA

View Full Version : bird shot

wgr
02-03-2017, 09:48 PM
would you guys trust 22cal. bird shot on rattler and cotton mouths, I have killed copperheads with it.

GhostHawk
02-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Better than nothing, and easier to carry than a shotgun.

Me I'd prefer the shotgun.

I've been knee deep in a Florida swamp armed only with a .22 blank pistol gun and a bag full of retrieving dummy's when a big cottonmouth swam by 10 feet away. No thanks, did not care for the experience.

Pistol was in left hand, training dummy cocked over right shoulder.

He never stopped, just kept swimming. Thank you Lord.

That night we bought a single shot 20 gauge and I always had 4-5 rounds in my back pocket ready if needed.

Yeah I was working with a guy training black labs and running the field trial circuit.
I had the distinct honor of watching one of the best retrievers ever work. River Oaks Corky, man what a dog. One of ours did a quarter long blind retrieve, she stepped on the bird, spun around and picked it up. Wintoba's Blue Bell, 90 lbs of dynamite and brain. She sold 2 weeks later for more money than I'll ever earn in this lifetime.

Yeah I'd be carrying the shotgun or a pistol that shoots 3" .410's. At close range those would work.

bearcove
02-03-2017, 10:53 PM
I think you answered your own question. A snake is a snake.

A 12 ga 3" would be better but when I was a kid a stick worked YOU pick.

wcp4570
02-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Yes it is deadly on snakes at close range. I keep a s&w 34 loaded with shot shells for just that purpose. I've killed a number of snakes in my chicken house without putting holes in anything except snakes.

wcp

472x1B/A
02-03-2017, 11:17 PM
would you guys trust 22cal. bird shot on rattler and cotton mouths, I have killed copperheads with it.

Well maybe! Me, a new Mossberg 590 Shockwave 14in. 10ga. 4in. #00000 Buck!!!! that's how snakes and I get along. lol!

Mk42gunner
02-04-2017, 12:15 AM
I would.

Surprisingly enough, the CCI .22LR shotshells work better than the CCI .38 Special ones, at least for me. I really think it is because the .22's are loaded with #12 shot, giving more pattern density.

Homemade shotshells for Mr. No Shoulders need to be loaded with the finest shot you can get. You really don't need distance, you need a cloud of pellets up close.

My Grandma's garden hoe worked pretty good too.

Robert

wgr
02-04-2017, 01:16 AM
thinks for the info guys. I want to take it on vacation easer to carry than my 357. Just asking can carry the 357 if need be