PDA

View Full Version : Bad brass

buggybuilder
02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Purchased 3 100pc bags of .222 brass. All were good in 2 of the bags, 3rd bag not so good. About 12 irrepairable pcs of brass that I can not even get in the sizing die. It is W-W brass. Anyone have a contact number or address?
I did use the www. address but nothing works. Any help please!

M-Tecs
02-03-2017, 03:02 PM
http://www.winchester.com/Customer-Support/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx

http://www.olin.com/Yellow_Pages

Duckiller
02-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Where or who did you buy it from? I am sure they didnt intentionly sell you bad brass but they have better contact with whomever they got it from.Let your retailer take it up with his distributor. Someone owes you 12 pieces of better brass.

WILCO
02-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Where or who did you buy it from?

Yep. Start there. Best advice.

308Jeff
02-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Winchester is pretty good at making up for bad products. One of our local reloaders had a sleeve of bad pistol primers. They ended up sending him a full case, and 500 147gr Silvertips.

buggybuilder
02-03-2017, 04:28 PM
M-Tecs
Thank you so much for the help and address!!

buggybuilder
02-10-2017, 12:24 AM
I feel WW-Olin could care less about bad brass. Its been a week and I've heard nothing.

shoot-n-lead
02-10-2017, 12:32 AM
Winchester is normally very good with making this stuff right.

I wouldn't think that 12pcs of brass would be a very pressing matter, as long as it is replaced...and they will do that.

lightman
02-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Winchester was one of my favorites until their QC got so bad. It seems that everyone had quality issues during the shortages after 2008, but it does not seem to be being corrected. Having necks split on one firing is the main reason that I bought an annealing machine. But that won't fix some of the problems that I have been seeing! Come on, Winchester!

Plate plinker
02-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Thought I read someplace the Winchester is getting out of the component business.

runfiverun
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
makes you wonder if their factory ammo is the same brass or if they sell their seconds to reloaders.

KCSO
02-10-2017, 11:39 AM
See my posts on W W brass... 44 mags with primer pockets so loose you could press the primers in by hand and if you dropped the case the primers the primers fell out. My Answer from C/S... sorry we lost the samples you sent but here is a coupon on your next purchase. I still have the coupon.

buggybuilder
02-10-2017, 01:51 PM
I filled out the form on the Olin WW site and when I hit "Submit" it will not work.

472x1B/A
02-10-2017, 03:49 PM
makes you wonder if their factory ammo is the same brass or if they sell their seconds to reloaders.

I think you might be on to something here. I bought 200 new Winchester .303 Brit. brass from Midway 2 years ago. When it arrived and I opened the bag there were 9 pieces that looked like they had been stepped on by someone. I checked the inside neck dia. on a few pieces and ended up full length sizing all of them. Booo!!!!

runfiverun
02-10-2017, 10:41 PM
in the past a neck sizing and a quick trim was about all you needed.
you knew they would get shorter when fired.
but about all you needed to do was make them the same length.
I bought a batch of 500- 257 Roberts +p brass to make 7 mauser from in late 2005 early 2006 and only ended up with 5 cases that were too short [by about .005]
other than that airc I had like 2 dented case mouths and that was it.

country gent
02-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Look at the diffrences in packaging between loaded ammo and cases. Loaded ammo is in a tray each held seperatly inside the box and a cushion area around it. Cases are in a bag or box loose rattling against each other at best. Handling and shipping does take its toll along with storage in warehouses. At Campbells 4 pallets High for soup was the limit as any more crushed the bottom pallet dumping what was on top. A bag of brass on the bottom of a big stack, banged around handling, dropped or tossed to a bin, picks up damage also. As to poor dimensions that is QC control flat out. Ive gotten brass that took 3 passes to square and flatten the primer pockets all the way to the center, apparently the cutter or punch had chipped leaving a ring in the corner. tight pockets that had to be reamed to seat a primer. Also flash holes way off center.

buggybuilder
02-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Some of mine were dented, some case mouth kind of crushed and some case mouths look as though you ttook a needle nose pliers and rolled part of the case mouth to the inside and pinched it tight. I can't get a die in these to size. Very poor QC and poor customer service as well.

leadman
02-11-2017, 02:01 AM
Here is a phone number listed in their catalog 618-258-2000. This is for Privacy concerns but it might get into their system.

Multigunner
02-12-2017, 03:54 AM
Had some off the shelf Winchester .303 sporting ammo back in the 90's that would split down the side when fired in several different rifles that had known good headspace and tight chambers.
The brass was so thin on the side where it split that you could crush the case between thumb and finger.

There was a defect in the relief groove above the rim on several of these cases. The groove was very broad. The only other time I've seen such a defect was on one HXP case made in the 80's. No such problem of splitting with the HXP brass though.