PDA

View Full Version : Flats on Round Nosed Bullets

insanelupus
06-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Talking to a guy the other day, who could remember when the Lyman 45 Lubesizer came out, he told me he always used flat top punches, even on round nosed bullets.

He told me he'd always suspected that the nose wasn't as important for flight as the bases and that using flat top punches would put a small flat on the round nose. His opinion was it helped, ever so slightly, when the bullet collided with the animal in a more effective kill.

He did admit that using a flat nose design was better, but his opinion was if you had round nose bullets and used flat top punches, it worked better than just plain ol' round noses.

Anyone have any experiences with this?

Bass Ackward
06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
1. You should have a flat, yes.

2. You ain't going to do that with no old Lyman 45.

3. IF your stuck with that mold, you best find you a drill. Or load the few hunting bullets you are going to use backwards. Pretty good flat there.

Bret4207
06-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes you can use a FN punch. Depending on how hard you press you will get a flat on the nose. If you're not careful using certain designs you can also start the boolit crooked. With the old 45 you don't want to try and "bump" a FN onto a RN design for fear of breaking it. If hunting is the future get a real FN design.

runfiverun
06-30-2008, 01:14 PM
you only need one flat nose boolit at a time for hunting. i would just file a flat on it.
how much are you gonna take off 5 grains of weight?

Scrounger
06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Make up a dummy round, send it to Buckshot or some other lathe weenie (:kidding:) and have him make up a custom "trim-file" die that allows you to quickly file it flat and do it consistently.

jhalcott
06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Buckshot MIGHT be able to make your mold a hollow point version.

azrednek
06-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Why not just buy a round nose, flat point mold??

selmerfan
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I think he might be asking if he can get away with having only one top punch. The answer is yes, to a degree. I have been using a flat punch on my RN .266" boolits, but I'm sizing them only .001" or less. I get a very small flat spot on the nose. If I were sizing down farther than that, I'd want a nose profile punch. Now I have one, so I'm not worried about it. :)
Selmerfan

azrednek
07-01-2008, 03:29 AM
I think he might be asking if he can get away with having only one top punch.
Selmerfan

Now it makes sense!! Sorry for being so dense.