PDA

View Full Version : Freedon arms 260 TC GC question

buck1
06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Hello all, I have that mold that I cast up at 17-18 BHN. It shoots great and I am thinking of useing it over 27 gr AA #9 for antelope. I finally drew out for firearm antelope!!! It only took 10 years!![smilie=w:
Anyway has anyone done any hunting with this Boolit? How did you like it, etc? Thanks in advance.................buck

Bass Ackward
06-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Bounces right off. Part of it is that design and part is the antelope run fast enough that the bullet velocity decreases. Plus, they have natural Kevlar layer under the hide. :grin: I think you may need another 500 grains of weight at the very least.

If you manage to knock one senseless, you can club'em to death with the butt of that FA if you wear your tennies. These aren't the man eating variety of antelope, are they?

Ya know, after I look back, I don't have a hole lot of experience with that bullet to be given advise. Especially at that rock hard level. Why one of those 18 BHN penetrators could knock a face off Mount Rushmore with all that penetration. Good thing that you did your testing huh? By the way, just how did that testing go?

Sure hate to see you blow a ten year opportunity from a wrong guess or trusting my advice. :grin:

runfiverun
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
jesus bass
you know full well those antelope will soak up two or three of them.
especially through the shoulders.

Bass Ackward
06-30-2008, 04:11 PM
jesus bass
you know full well those antelope will soak up two or three of them.
especially through the shoulders.

Very good. So you got the point. Would you want to risk a once in 10 year hunt on something that you didn't trust as adequate? (although I believe it is and he will too if he tests it.)

But as to antelope, I am a bad one to ask. In truth, I have killed two, both entirely by accident. I aimed at one and the second one fell. On the other, I aimed at the first one and the fourth one fell. Shot placement was out the window. Both were essentially bang flop though, so I suppose that I do have less respect than maybe I should. All the more reason not to trust what someone says and test until YOU are satisfied.

buck1
07-01-2008, 01:57 AM
True words to be sure! However.....
It shoots like a rifle, it will go through clear to China! It kills small game like polished death! No suprise there.
But the dept of fish and game, just wont see it my way on letting me shoot large game for testing! The nerve of some folks! I just wanted to try 2 or 3! LOL!!
It loads at .452, 261 gr, clocks in at 1575 fps, BHN 17ish (softer will lead) and the mep of this TC GC boolit is .305"
In wet news print it will not open up or stop for that matter, so its as good as it gets before i shoot it.
So I guess my question is : do you see anything that would spook you about it?

Thanks...Buck

Bass Ackward
07-01-2008, 05:32 AM
The nerve of some folks! I just wanted to try 2 or 3! LOL!!

So I guess my question is : do you see anything that would spook you about it?

Thanks...Buck

Buck,

Only you buddy. Only you.

Spook me? Naaaaaaaaa. Your ace in the hole is recoil. Shoot that thing enough, and your body will tell your mind, to only pull the trigger once. :grin: Just don't line up two or three. Sounds like you are not only ready to go, but one foot out the door.

You tested, now practice, practice, practice.

buck1
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
""Buck,

Only you buddy. Only you."" LOL!!!!!

GREAT!!

I didnt see any trouble with it,..................... buuuut those also sound like famous last words or an excuse I would have had if I didnt check it out. So I wanted to throw it out and see if I got any negitive feed back, or something I over looked. I feel very confident in it now, and thats half the shot right there.
I have been flat putting the miles on the Freedom Arms 454 at varrious ranges and my need for more practice has been showing. But groups at the sil target with no marked point of aim are starting to become somewhat respectable. And with 2 months more to go I may just stand a chance if I can keep my head on straight at the moment of TRUTH!
Thanks for your insight , as always, it is very well recived!!......Buck :)

runfiverun
07-02-2008, 05:16 PM
antelope are actually like shooting a coyote,
god i hate questions like these.
but with a cast boolit you know is gonna shoot straight through,and not expand.
it should be a shoulder or heart shot.
respect the animal,and be sure of your shot......