PDA

View Full Version : just another kind of ingot mould

njmj
11-05-2005, 10:36 AM
For a real cheapo ingot mould one can use the small angle iron used for bed frames. There seems to be an endless supply on the curb on trashday. They can be either welded together upside down to form "w"s, or "v"s can be cut in a 2X4 to suport the angle. Use the cut out v's to block the ends.
Pros and cons, This will make some pretty long ingots which can be cut with an axe when needed. This adds another step. Good thing is they can be stacked vertically which saves space. Imagine all the possibilities, NJMJ

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2005, 08:16 AM
For a real cheapo ingot mould one can use the small angle iron used for bed frames. There seems to be an endless supply on the curb on trashday. They can be either welded together upside down to form "w"s, or "v"s can be cut in a 2X4 to suport the angle. Use the cut out v's to block the ends.
Pros and cons, This will make some pretty long ingots which can be cut with an axe when needed. This adds another step. Good thing is they can be stacked vertically which saves space. Imagine all the possibilities, NJMJ

I have been meaning to do this. Every time I see one of these old beds, I'm in a car from work or rushing off somewhere.

Shepherd2
11-06-2005, 08:31 AM
I saw a picture a few years ago of an ingot mould that someone had made by welding 4 or 5 sections of angle together side by side and flat steel on the ends. If you wanted heavier ingots you just use bigger angle iron.

sundog
11-06-2005, 09:21 AM
http://www.castpics.net/RandD/moas/moas2.htm