PDA

View Full Version : Can you do this in your area

starmac
02-01-2017, 01:32 PM
The logging road I haul out of is 33 miles long after you leave the payment, the more we log the longer it gets. After a sale is completed and the logger turns it back and moves his equipment off it becomes public. There are a few old log roads where you can turn off the main one, most just go a mile or three at the most and none goes anywhere. With no logging activity these roads get no maintenence, and no one plows them either, but are used by hunters, trappers, and for personal firewood.

Right now there is a trapper that parks at a turnout road at mile 2 1/2, he takes off from there on a newer honda pioneer side by side. I guess he doesn't like pulling his trailer, because he leaves his atv there in plain sight, just 2 1'2 miles off of the pavement when he goes home in the evening.
Most places he would be loseing it after the first day or maybe hour. lol
Maybe he is trying to collect insurance. lol

Beagle333
02-01-2017, 01:50 PM
No, you can't do that in my area. They would take the ATV, any available trailer, any nearby gates and probably any nice sales-worthy trees in the vicinity. Sheesh.

codgerville@zianet.com
02-01-2017, 01:54 PM
In this area while you were checking the oil in the ATV they would take your truck, trailer, lunch, and any thing else that wasn't welded down.

shoot-n-lead
02-01-2017, 01:55 PM
You can't do that in my area, either.

Ithaca Gunner
02-01-2017, 01:56 PM
When I was a kid, what's now State Forrest behind the farm was at one time, (1880-1920-there abouts) logged heavy and hauled out with little Shay locomotives. Very little of the old Shay lines remain, but if you're looking and have a map, they're still there. Hard to follow at times, but the old Shay rail beds remain.

bubba.50
02-01-2017, 02:06 PM
most places around here you could do that. but anything within a 5 or 10 mile radius of the Town of Pulaski, the oil probably wouldn't get cool before it was on it's way to whoever buys such stuff so the perp can buy more drugs.

starmac
02-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Atv's are a pretty hot item around here, so the guy is pretty gutsy in my opinion.
Maybe he figures that he needs a snow machine worse, and will buy if this gets stolen.
To be fair on most days there will be les than 15 or 20 people on this road, some of which work logging and are as honest as they come for the most part, but it just takes one even mentioning it to someone that isn't.

For the most part though, loggers leave their equipment in the woods during the off season, all of them claim it is safer than haveing it in town, and it is rare for anyone to mess with it.

375supermag
02-01-2017, 06:16 PM
No...
If you leave stuff laying around in South Central Pennsylvania it will be gone in less time than it takes to tell about it.
Thieves abound and apparently you can't do much about it except file a police report.

Plate plinker
02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Thats why it should be legal to booby trap things. :evil:

flint45
02-01-2017, 07:05 PM
No way ..... gone down to old Mexico or Pomona...both places are basically the same thing.BUILD THE WALL!!!

paul h
02-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Sadly you used to be able to do that all over Alaska, but in the past few years there have been cases of people leaving there trucks and trailers to go 4 wheelin or snow machining only to come back and find their trucks broken into, fuel siphoned, and/or catalytic converters cut off. Not to mention backwoods cabins being broken into.

I have a hard time of thinking of a single good reason thieving meth heads shouldn't be shot on sight.

jonp
02-01-2017, 07:35 PM
I used to leave my Softtail on a tralier near the road when I went into camp because the road was too rough to make it with the trailer. I left it there when I was gone 3 or 4 days a week. Nothing but a tarp on it. No-one ever bothered it.

Gewehr-Guy
02-01-2017, 08:12 PM
In my area not to much thievery yet, but we were told if we want something get a job and earn it! My remedy for thieving dopers would be a little surgery with castrating knife, at least that might get the attention of the other gang members!

waksupi
02-01-2017, 08:28 PM
There is one area here, you could leave y truck parked keys in it and unlocked. No one would bother it Lock it, take the keys, sure as hell, someone will break in, figuring something good must be in there.

dragon813gt
02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Yes, you could do that here. Lots of people but no one messes w/ other peoples stuff. Now if thieves come out of the city that's another thing. Plenty of people still leave their homes unlocked and a spare key is under the doormat. I don't recommend this and don't do it myself. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Handloader109
02-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Probably a day here,. Came up the interstate Monday and someone had left a logsplitter on the side of the road. Surprised no one had loaded it up. But it would be work I guess

runfiverun
02-01-2017, 10:07 PM
I have left my camper at the lake for a couple of weeks without even locking the door, and left my boat at the lake this summer for almost 2 weeks.
I was using the boat about every other day or so but no one touched it or anything in it including my tackle boxes and fishing poles.

Idaho45guy
02-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Yes you can. Weeks before hunting season starts, people start scouting out the choice camping spots in the mountains and then "save" them by parking their RVs on site and leaving them unattended for weeks.

Dozens of them all over the mountains. My dad and brother did that last year on a moose hunt. Nobody messed with them.

And this was in a clearing just off a logging road about 15 miles from the pavement...

starmac
02-01-2017, 11:43 PM
I am seriously considering taking my sawmill out and leave it on the sale for the summer, a service truck full of tools and a flatbed truck would accompany it if I do. We can gate the road at the start of the sale, which would be a couple of miles away from the equipment, which would stop honest folks from messing with it.

xs11jack
02-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Here in eastern Mo. just outside of a little town of 2000 or so, my buddy's house burned to the ground. He lived down a 1/4 mile driveway that was lined with houses. 3 days later a known felon drove a pickup truck down the driveway in broad daylight and hooked up to my buddy's 5X8 trailer and left. two weeks later the county sheriff found it and two others down on a pasture that the owner rarely uses. They got finger prints and arested the guy. No, little towns here are not safe.
Ole Jack

Col4570
02-02-2017, 03:56 AM
On my way to Atlantic Richfield Plant in Philadelphia,it was 1974.I passed a Greencrocers Truck that had one front Wheel collapsed,Local citizens where looting it for its Greens,Potatoes,Lettuce etc.It was the only bit of crime I saw during my 6 months working stay in the USA.I have fond memories of those times and the hospitality shown to a Brit working from Baton Rouge up to Philadelphia and places in between.I was on a Green Card that allowed 6 months before renewal working for an English Company opening up in the USA and Training American Personnel.Back to the subject there was a time here when items could be left out but those times are long gone.If it aint fastened down its gone.

woodbutcher
02-02-2017, 04:39 AM
:twisted:Castrating would really effective IF you denutted them about 2 inches below the chin with an ax.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Geezer in NH
02-02-2017, 10:16 AM
It would be GONE here in NH

farmerjim
02-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I have left the keys in the ignition of all my tractors and my truck for 20 years without a problem.
I have had 2 people steal peaches from my orchard near the road. The sheriff caught both of them.

Budzilla 19
02-02-2017, 10:49 AM
At one time you could leave your house and cars unlocked around here, but no longer!!! That vehicle woulda been turned in drug money in a flash!!! Driveway alarms, alarmed up house and shop, and I don't answer the door unless I'm armed to the teeth!! If it's an unknown vehicle, shotgun at the ready, then ask them what's your business here??? Lol it's kinda hard on my friends who purchase new vehicles!!!!! (Paranoid??? Nope, just too old now to put up with the bs of these drug heads) Had rash of 4 wheeler thefts along my road, couple words in the right ears, and no more thefts! Isn't it amazing one or two showed up in a local field??? It doesn't hurt that I shoot all the time at my private range, ( it's my backyard) all is locked up tight. Haven't had any problems yet!! ( that's my story and I'm sticking to it) Good luck in your situations!!!!!

smoked turkey
02-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Sad to say but the world has become more hostile, with people gunning down other people for no reason, beating them up just because they can, etc. Not so much here in the county where I live. But in town just 15 miles away you can't start your car and leave it to warm up on a cold morning because someone will steal it. Funny part about it, it is the owners fault and not the perp. After all it was a crime of opportunity. I am glad there are still places left where good, honest, hard working people live. Its getting to be more and more rare though I think.

mold maker
02-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Like most my age, I grew up with the keys left in the ignition and the doors unlocked.
Now if ya nail it down, they'll steal the nails.
My car was broken into twice. The first time they got some CD and a flashlight. Cops said I should lock it up. The next time they broke the side glass and didn't find anything to steal. Law didn't do anything either time and now because of it being locked, I have a bill for the door glass. The thief ignored the cops and I should have also.

Teddy (punchie)
02-02-2017, 12:26 PM
When I was a kid, what's now State Forrest behind the farm was at one time, (1880-1920-there abouts) logged heavy and hauled out with little Shay locomotives. Very little of the old Shay lines remain, but if you're looking and have a map, they're still there. Hard to follow at times, but the old Shay rail beds remain.

CASS railroad in WV , Has the SHAY engines.

Teddy (punchie)
02-02-2017, 12:34 PM
here all in which area, farm we are lucky. But time has come that if you don't lock up things are likely to come up missing.

An ATV in the woods would be ?? taking a huge chance at it growing legs.

smoked turkey
02-02-2017, 01:12 PM
mold maker I think you are right about leaving the vehicle unlocked or window down a little. This is not say it should be done in December on a mall parking lot with packages in the back seat. But if you purpose to not leave much of value in your car, at least then you are not left with a repair bill. As a case in point when my Ruger LCP was stolen from my locked car with the gun in the center console out of sight in a small town church parking lot on a Sunday afternoon where I grew up, my BIL's unlocked truck, window partly down with rifle behind the seat was left untouched. My car side window was smashed, so a fairly significant bill for me plus the insurance deductibles not met, so I am just out of valuables plus a repair bill. The sheriff indicated the little town that used to be so benign is now a haven for druggies.

Ithaca Gunner
02-02-2017, 01:19 PM
CASS railroad in WV , Has the SHAY engines.

Yes, I saw several videos of them. They're giants compared to the little Shays used on the logging where I grew up, barely higher than the man operating them, but they could pull. Every now and again a rail or spike can be found in those mountains, but they were taken up by the loggers and reused elsewhere for the most part.

Blackwater
02-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Sad to say, I leave my truck locked when parked in the front yard, not 10' from my home. It CAN be done in some big hunting club property, where big, impassible gates block access. Most thieves and druggies (often both in one) have learned it's not worth trespassing, and a few have had warning shots fired in their direction. Once a few warning shots have been fired, those locales tend to be a lot "safer." But even then, there's no guarantee. A few thieves always seem to either convince themselves they're "uncatchable" or bulletproof and immortal. I'll never understand it, but ... that's just how it seems to be. I like locks. At least they keep "honest" folks honest .... usually.

shdwlkr
02-02-2017, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine lost his new camper, a utv and atv a couple weeks ago off his rural ranch here in Idaho. We are looking at ways to make it less of an easy target for future thieves. Just might get my chance to live what is left of my life on a ranch yet. No I don't like unknown vehicles or people showing up period that I don't know the vehicles or people and yes I treat them all the same. Oh they stole the trucks they used to steal the stuff with also. So they knew what they were doing and what was needed to get it done.

When I was a kid folks never locked doors or vehicles, heck when I got my first truck I had rifles hanging in the back window and in the summer never locked the truck or even rolled the windows up never lost a rifle. Today wouldn't dare do that, to many think that because they want it it is there for the taking.

Just might have to buy a firearm or two so I can talk to folks that show up at the wrong time or are unknown to me just what I think of the idea that they thought I was a good place to acquire things. any ideas as to proper firearms to have??
I am thinking a shotgun most likely 12 gauge and then a rifle and maybe a pistol to go with it.

Harter66
02-02-2017, 03:31 PM
I live in a highway through burg . Nobody seems to bother anything here . Of course I don't have anything anyone would want it'd be more hassle to take than to get a job ,besides its serve them right .

I did live in an apt in the early 90s and kept losing gas . 1 strategically placed razor blade and that stopped . Whoever bled like a stuck pig though .

runfiverun
02-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Shad :lol:
I hear old uncle joe highly recommended the double barreled shotgun.

10x
02-03-2017, 06:22 PM
A year ago you could leave most anything out. Now with the oil patch disaster any thing left out side that could be sold disappears in the dark

starmac
02-27-2017, 06:35 PM
I had figured this was a trapper, and after a few days he quit leaveing his side by side out there and instead left his pickup all but about one night a week, when the pickup would be gone and the side by side parked there.

Well I was way off in my thoughts, turns out it is a woman camped in a tent back in there through the winter. I have not seen her except dressed in full winter gear, but have heard that she is a pretty cute red head from those that know her (where is Wilco).
She must be a pretty hardy gal, as she has stayed out there in temps down to 50 below.
We have had a couple of feet of snow in the last few days, so there was a snow machine parked there last night instead of her pickup or atv.
She is not a trapper, but instead a dog musher, working her dogs, one of the more sensible ones in my opinion, as she sticks to the trails instead of the road.