PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs

Bret4207
11-05-2005, 09:00 AM
After reading numerous posts about RCBS sending folks stuff at no charge I have a tale to tell. The o-rings in my sizer are gone. So I emailed RCBS about availablity. I was told to go to the on-line catalog and order from there. No free parts for me. Not that I can't swing it or anything. I was just hoping they'd send a couple $.02 parts. Live and learn.

45nut
11-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Wow,thought I was the only one,I called about sizer parts and got quite the run-around,felt like I was a drain on the economy when all was said and done.

fatnhappy
11-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Wow, there's a change.
I called once about a bent decap rod in a set of .270 dies. They overnighted a new rod, expander button and a dozen pins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Fred Huntington die recently?

kenjuudo
11-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I wonder what effect if any emailing threads such as this to customer service would have with the various companies? And of course the good reports as well.

I make it a point to get a name before dealing with customer service types and always follow up with a phone call or letter of thanks praising a good job, mentioning the person by name, everyone likes a pat on the back. Imagine a job where every time the phone rings it's about a problem.

jim

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Tpr Bret,

They must have recognized your New Yawk accent. Hey....just kidding, geez.

Joe

Bret4207
11-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I actually sound more like a Canuck, you know- Caow (cow), Eh?, aboot (about), ay-uhh ( My Grandmother's old vermont accent), and of course- ya'all from my years in the southern US.

I don't mind paying for something, I just look at the hundreds of dollars of RCBS equipment I have and think it would have been a nice thing to at least of had the OFFER of a free o-ring. I would pay, it's just the gesture thats important to me. Does that make sense?

Re-customer service- I recently resubscribed to Muzzleloader Magazine. I let it drop a few years ago and found myself really missing this fine journal. I also ordered 2 rather expensive books in the same order online. The order was over $100.00 at any rate. I got no e-mail response of any kind indicating my order had been received. After a few days I e-mailed Shurlock Publishing asking for some sort of confirmation. No response. My book came a few days later, but there was still no response to my e-mail. I've had the same thing on Ebay and I leave a neutral feedback if I get no response whatsoever to my emails. I would think in these days of electronic purchse and instant e-mails it wouldn't be much of a problem to have a computer generated message sent that my order was recv'd. Fer cryin' out loud, even Hillary responds to my emails! I have the same issue with our practically new Frigidaire refridgerator. The doors and outside casing are showing pinhole rust spots. So I emailed them 2 or 3 times. No response what ever. I feel it's jsut American business 101 to at least answer a query. It's just plain old manners. But manners don't count for much anymore, do they?

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Damn Tpr Bret, you email the ***** of Babylon? Really?

Everytime I've had to call RCBS I don't even get my explanation of the problem finished when they say "We'll be mailing you one out asap free of charge". I 100 percent of the time get a really nice woman on the line. Did you by chance happen to get a man on the other end Tpr?

Joe

Bret4207
11-05-2005, 08:32 PM
All done by email. Maybe I should phone them.

Ken O
11-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Yes Trooper, try calling them. There is a 800 number in the instructions of all their stuff. I have broken lots of parts in thier gear, mostly my fault and I told them so. They still send replacements immedialtly. Let us know what happens.

Bullshop Junior
11-06-2005, 02:19 AM
After reading numerous posts about RCBS sending folks stuff at no charge I have a tale to tell. The o-rings in my sizer are gone. So I emailed RCBS about availablity. I was told to go to the on-line catalog and order from there. No free parts for me. Not that I can't swing it or anything. I was just hoping they'd send a couple $.02 parts. Live and learn.
Tpr. Bret

I believe that one time in Montana that my dad went to the hardware store and just got o-rings of the right size, now we usually by them from RCBS.

I believe that the reason that they sale the o-rings is because they do break fairly often.

I remember one time when my dad had a set of RCBS 50/110 dies that he broke 2 times and the last time they told him to turn the brass to a certain size before he used the dies again.

Dad has sent several diferrent things in and offered to pay but they did not let him.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I picked up a RCBS lube sizer in a trade about six or seven years ago, thinking it would be a good friend to my Lyman 450. The O Rings were shot. Took it down to the bearing and engineering supply place in town and plonked the offending part on the counter. Two minutes and 40cents later I was on my way. Never used it as it turns out I also bought some Lee sizers for my press at the same time and I haven't used eiither lube sizer since.

When I get time, I must sit down and do a quantative test lubesizer v lee sizer and see what comes out best.

Bent Ramrod
11-09-2005, 03:28 AM
Yes, the O-rings are a routine item at any hardware store with the aisle with all those drawers full of stuff. Just bring the old O-ring, or the sizer die, if the O-ring is gone, and find a thin one that stretches slightly to fit the groove.

I bought one of those RCBS gated primer tools at a yard sale. It had the small primer setup but not the large one. I called RCBS and asked the price and the tech rep said he'd send one out for free. It came a few days later. I'm plenty impressed with their customer service. Probably calling is best; a favor done impersonally over the e-mail logically wouldn't have the brand-loyalty impact that voice-to-voice contact would engender. These marketing people don't miss a trick.

Ross
11-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Last year I took an old Lachmiller bench priming tool into RCBS, and got an adapter for the now-standard snap-in shellholder and two priming rods.
No charge. It was the basis for their first bench tool, and still covered under warranty.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Cherokee
11-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Lachmiller - now that is a name I haven't see for a while. I have one of the powder measures and it is a charm.

vrmn1
11-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I have never got the run around or anything with RCBS.
All I ever get are the nicest ladies I could ask for and free stuff.
Unlike Lyman. :-(

utk
11-11-2005, 09:50 AM
RCBS must be the most customer oriented reloading company ever. They have helped me for free several times, and even when I've screwed up things myself. Mostly talked to Jeanne, she's a darling...
Urban

James Wisner
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Just last month I called RCBS and inquired about a toggle and pins for my Dad's 1973 vintage Rockchucker.
They shipped me at no charge the toggle, three pins and two e clips, and the two wave washers to replace the worn parts.

Once I got it apart found the ram is the most worn part, but they changed the diameter of the ram in 1982 so will have to build my own. The old rams are 1.00" and the new ones are .990" go figure that out. The good part is I have about 10 foot of 1.00" ground and polished steel on hand. I will also make a swaging ram at the same time.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Catshooter
11-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I picked up a used RCBS Ammomaster press at our show.

Took it home and cleaned it up and counted up the parts I was missing - eight.

Explained the situation to 'em on the phone, but they didn't care how I got the press, they sent the parts for free anyway.

Yea, like I'm gonna use some other brand after that?

Cat

NVcurmudgeon
11-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Back about 15 or so years ago I wrote RCBS and asked if I needed to worry about the ram on my old Junior wobbling a bit. I said that if it was a problem, I was looking forward to buying a Rockchucker. They sent me a new Reloder Special press free, WITHOUT KNOWING IF I EVEN HAD A JUNIOR.
guess I'll never need to buy that Rockchucker.

keeper89
11-13-2005, 07:16 AM
NV--I bought my junior in 79 and it has loaded umteen thousands of rounds down through the years.....the only thing I have ever had to replace on it has been the leaf spring loaded primer arm--and at that point I didn't have the heart to call and badger them about a free replacement, I just bought one. After all, I had already lost count at that time of how many rounds I had reloaded on that press. Now I do all my priming with a Lee hand tool so I don't have to do EVEERYTHING in the cellar.......anyway, when the time came for a progressive, I grabbed an AmmoMaster and I don't regret that purchase, either. BTW, that 79 vintage Jr. is still going strong and loading fine stuff.......... :Fire:

NVcurmudgeon
11-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Keeper, Yes, the Junior is a fine press. My Junior is vintage 1963. When RCBS so kindly sent me an unsolicited and surprising Reloader Special, I gave the old Junior to a friend, because I got tired of watching him do high-volume reloading on one of the little Partner presses. I loaded at least 30,000 rounds on the Junior, and it is still turning out good ammo for my friend!

MT Gianni
11-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I called last week about a stripped allen head screw on a bullet mould and two new ones with pins showed up esterday. Gianni.

StarMetal
11-13-2005, 12:50 PM
NV...I did the same thing back in the 80's, except my Junior more then wobbled, hell the case would miss aligning with the sizing die bad. The sent me a new Reloader Special too free, but I had to send my Junior back. Interesting they mailed me saying they never seen one that wore out. Told ya I reloaded alot on that thing.

Joe

snowtigger
11-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I bought a used RCBS lubersizer on e-bay. I broke the yoke part of the handle. It was my fault, I was using hard lube without heat. I called RCBS trying to find out where I could get a new one.
I got a very nice woman, and told her my story. Even after knowing it was my fault, they sent me a new part, free, via Priority mail. Good service.

boogerred
11-14-2005, 12:23 AM
i bought a 38/357 mag die set and the expander plug would only screw into the body about 1 turn. i e-mailed rcbs on sat or sun and mon i got an e-mail saying that they had a problem with a mis-adjusted machine and they would send a new one right away. i had a new expander die the next sat. what a surprise! with customer service being what is today,i figured i would have to send in the defective die,argue,gripe and e-mail for a month and wait another month for an adjustment.one e-mail,one week and a new die. great service.

stephen perry
08-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Every Company has an unruley person that does not understand economics or customer service and should be sweeping floors instead taking customer requests. Spread it on as thick as you want about how good RCBS is I believe what Bret's sharing with us. People are strange some say they have a heart of gold share their beer with anybody but that's not all the time. Some people good most times are also toads. Bret got the toad of toads the day he called. I got the same treament at Sinclair and I bought from Fred in the old days when he sold out his truck. Stupid is as Stupid does.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

RKJ
08-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Brett, Sorry you got the runaround, but I've got the same story as everyone else.
I got a .223 case stuck in a small base die and try as I might couldn't get it out and was afraid I'd screwed up the die. I emailed them and asked if they could help. I received an email from Sheila and it said to send it in with $5.00 to cover S/H back. It barely covered it, it cost $4.95 to ship back to me. They removed the case, polished the die, replaced (the decapping rod that I forgot to ship) and the lock nut (which I buggered up trying to remove the case. They also included a die case. I was (and still am overwhelmed) They went above & beyond what I expected.

Hardcast416taylor
08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I just got a new adjustemt screw for elevation for my Ohaus 5-10 scale at no charge. Considering I told the gent on the phone I had just purchased it from another owner he said we`ll get it in the mail to you. I had no problems getting luber "O" rings either.Robert

Four Fingers of Death
08-29-2010, 01:47 AM
In Australia I find it quicker and easier to fix things myself. The good service doesn't extend overseas. Leupolds are an exception however, Buy a stuffed scope, ship it to Leupold and get it fixed free. My mate works in a gunshop and he has done this a few times. I think you just pay for the frieght. I have never had one ounce of trouble from a Leupold and I have 12-15 of them and have been using them for 25+ years. I wish someone had put me onto them earlier. The first one I ever bought is still in use on a 30-06. Set and forget.

Mal Paso
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I called to Order the Small Rotor kit for my Uniflow powder measure and a couple primer rods. There was nothing wrong with the large one I just wanted to tighten up my light loads. Had my Credit Card out expecting to pay about $55. The guy said "We'll send it to you under warranty". I was speechless and I took me a minute to mumble thanks and get of the phone.

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Your already an RCBS customer. The RCBS parts you ask for have already been paid for by other customers like yourself. Beside it's good PR for RCBS because they know you'll tell the story ever chance you get. Nothing wrong with that.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Bret4207
08-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Why are we resurrecting 5 year old threads?

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
And the subject is still current.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

waksupi
08-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Why not? ;o)

Doby45
08-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Yhea, thats the whole reason we tell people to search. No need for a new thread if we already got one.

220swiftfn
08-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Heh heh heh....... Zombie thread!!! :) As to the OP, i believe that a phone call would have turned out differently. Over the years I've gotten several die internals, the crucible and shut off pin for a pro-melt, sprue plates all for "no charge". Actually, the only thing that I had to pay for was an extended shell holder for a comp die (probably because I was modifying it for 220 swift, and told them such.)

Dan